autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: 2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

Just wondering , are these your favorite go to products at the moment ?
    Comet has been a staple in my car and boat detailing arsenal for probably 25 years.

The Supa BEAST is my "current" preferred choice for gear-driven orbital polisher as I find it to be the most effective and the fastest option when it comes to paint correction while maintaining pro-grade results. The BLACKFIRE One Step uses great abrasive technology and as a "Paint Polisher", not only do I believe this is THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint or anything - I believe it so much I teach this and wrote an article by the same title.

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

And the reason it's important for everyone to understand that abrasive technology is THE most important component of polishing a surface is because there is JUNK on the market. If you've watched any of our LIVE detailing classes I've discussed this numerous times in the last year and I state the issue like this,

When it comes to abrasive technology a product either works GREAT or it's JUNK. There is no in-between. There is no gray area. There are no products that work... kind of good.

Great abrasive technology means the product can remove defects WITHOUT leaving behind its own defects.

Junk abrasive technology means the product removes defects but in the case of when you're using any type or brand of orbital polisher - the product leaves MICRO-MARRING in the surface.

So products either work or they don't. And I've shared multiple multiple cars I've personally detailed on this forum and I only use products that use great abrasive technology. I will not use junk and I never bring junk products into the garage for my classes.

As for the other products I listed in post #2 - I use and will recommend all of these products.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post

He will be floored when he sees it!
    The owner Joe, actually watched me from start to finish. I'm never ashamed or try to hide any of the techniques or products I use to detail a car. I'm actually glad he watched. When I told him my price for what I call Package 1, he thought the price was a tick high. I was honest with him and explained what the process of taking his Sequoia from neglected to respected would entail and the time it would take and at some point, he believed and trusted me and I performed exactly as promised.

Here's a text Joe sent me,

Hi Mike, it was a pleasure watching you work and explain the products and proper application of the products to my 2006 Toyota Sequoia. You are a true expert and professional.

I appreciate that he appreciates my work ethic and hard work.

When he stopped by yesterday to pick up some maintenance products I stressed the importance of "doing something" once in a while to the results that were created. Maintain the finish on a 15-year old car that's "single stage" paint is just that - it's doing something once in a while - otherwise it will simply go down hill.

I have confidence that Joe will in fact take care of his Toyota and I'm also confident I'll see him again when he returns to Stuart from New York.

2. Thanks Me Time thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo View Post

That is really an incredible transformation. The hood shots show such a difference. That must have taken some serious hours to do. Great job!

From start to finish I believe I was at just under 8 hours. Washing the wheels, tires, machine polishing the glass and then Cometizing the body panels plus a solid re-wash to ensure all the Comet and dead paint were flushed off the Sequoia took 3 hours by itself - and "yes" I timed myself.

The actual paint polishing using the SUPA BEAST - pushing hard took around 3 hours and one of the time killers was knocking out the roof as you have to get up and down multiple times on work platforms to make the magic happen.

This is also why we as detailers have to charge more when detailing anything that is TALL. A car is simple as most of us can reach to the middle of the roof without assistance. But an SUV or any type of truck - that will require extra time and detailing cars is like any other professional service.

Charging comes down to,

1. Time
    2. Labor
    3. Materials

It's really that simple.

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious of your take on single stage paint vs. base coat/clear coat in our present times. With all the coatings available and the longevity of wipe on/wipe off products, do you see an advantage to single stage paint going forward?

If you had a vehicle that needed a repaint (and was going to be maintained by you) would you go single stage or BC/CC.

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible work, Mike! I love seeing normal cars receive this level of transformation. One Step is an awesome product.

For the horsehair attachment on the iBrid, what did you use that tool for in this process?
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

Post Thanks / Like

I glad you mentioned the work required on the roof. If the hood looked bad then that roof was ever more so. And with those roof panels that becomes a bigger job with the raised metal work. Most people rarely look or wash the tops and it creates a bigger job when it comes to doing it 'right'.

I am glad you had him watching the process, so he will know the cost factors involved to do it correctly. Now the maintenance cycle starts and sounds like you have him armed and ready to stay with it.

So impressive!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post

Incredible work, Mike! I love seeing normal cars receive this level of transformation. One Step is an awesome product.
    Agree.

For the horsehair attachment on the iBrid, what did you use that tool for in this process?
    For some cars, where the paint inside the emblems is dirty, oxidized and neglected, I use the Horse Hair Brush on the Nano to machine scrub this area.

• Sometimes with soap and water.
    • Sometimes with an APC and waterless wash
    • Sometimes with Glass Cleaner.

And sometimes, (and that would be this instance), I use a one-step cleaner/wax i.e. BLACKFIRE One Step. I just plaster some One Step into and around the emblem and then go nuts on the emblem with the Nano and Horse Hair Brush in rotary mode.

It cleans the hell out of the paint and the emblem.

Then I take the Tornador Black Air Blow Out Gun and blow and wipe and blow and wipe and blow and wipe.

By the time I'm done - it looks brand new again.

Again - apologies for no pictures. So often I do a lot of complicated and/or out of the box type work and take pictures and after investing the time to take the pictures and then create a detailed write-up - zero comments. So sometimes I become disheartened and just don't care to take pictures.

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, crg001 thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I use the Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless wash for washing vehicles I've used your process of polishing the paint with BF One Step and then topping with the PBL Diamond Surface Coating.

What's your opinion of also applying the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Booster at each maintence wash and then applying another coat of the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating once every 3 months as a maintence regimen?

How do you think these products will react with the Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless Wash?

I chose the Wolfgang SiO2 Rinseless Wash because on the AG website it says, "Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Rinseless Wash can be used to keep your ceramic coated surfaces looking good as new."

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Here’s the emblem I’m talking about.

I slathered some One Step all over it - “yes” real messy-like and then went nuts with the horse hair brush in ROTARY mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks crg001 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Mike Phillips I can't find COMET on the site for purchase 2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step2006 Toyota Sequoia - Comet Wash - Extreme Makeover - BLACKFIRE One Step. The ultimate secret weapon. Excellent work.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

I was curious of your take on single stage paint vs. base coat/clear coat in our present times. With all the coatings available and the longevity of wipe on/wipe off products, do you see an advantage to single stage paint going forward?

One thing for sure, with a modern URETHANE single stage paint system like Toyota uses, (not old school lacquer or enamel paints), your car will NEVER get clearcoat failure.

There's no secondary layer of paint to fail or disintegrate. The single stage Toyota urethane paint system will OXIDIZE - but ALL of us can fix oxidation.

None of us can fix clearcoat failure. When a basecoat/clearcoat paint system fails or disintegrates - the only true and honest fix is to repaint the car.

For this reason - a single stage paint system trumps the basecoat/clearcoat paint system.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

If you had a vehicle that needed a repaint (and was going to be maintained by you) would you go single stage or BC/CC.

That is a great question and knowing what I know now? I would opt for a single stage urethane paint system, probably in orange.

Great questions... thank you for asking.

Are you the guy in Eugene, Oregon?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast