autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scratches on bonnet

Hi

I have some scratches on the white pearl bonnet of my car.

This car is one of my pride and joys.

What I can see the scratches are over a hand palm size off the bonnet.

I tried 3m Hand Glaze with a Meguiars Yellow Foam applicator, I went over it 4-5 times. I wanted to try something that was very low abrasive.

Not sure if the 3M hand glaze and Meguiars Yellow applicator could have made it worse?

Could I have made it worse with the above.

Don’t know if they have been there all long and haven’t noticed them or they are new. Thing is I don’t know what from, as the car only gets driven once a week on the weekends.

Which product that has the least chance of making it worse and the best hand applicator.

This will be done by hand.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scratches on bonnet

Never had luck getting scratches out by hand. If you don’t have a DA or don’t want to buy one I’d try ap professional.

Saying that if you wan’t to try by hand you’ll need a correcting compound with abrasives or a medium polish at least depending on depth of scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The 3M Hand Glaze and the pad shouldn't have made it worse, unless you really rubbed at it. If we're talking about the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, it's not a polish at all, but a Glaze which has ingredients which will temporarily fill in light defects. Only polishes like Coatingsarecrack mentioned will truly fix it. I also agree the only way to get any real success is with a machine.

As for the source of the scratches, they could be from anything which comes in contact with the hood. If care isn't taken with all the products being used any time it's washed, dried, dusted, covered with a car cover etc. the scratches/marring will appear. Depending on the car, if the paint is really soft it is shockingly easy to scratch the paint. I've made a mark on my wife's Toyota with the swipe of a bare finger...
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I dissent from the opinion that you cannot remove the defects by hand, especially when you are talking of an area of only a few square inches. But of course, the severity of the defects also plays into it.

You will need something with an abrasive component to remove the defects though.

I'd recommend something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and/or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (or equivalent) with a variety of applicators, i.e., cotton terry, microfiber, and foam. Personally, I prefer the cloth versions over foam when doing hand polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Scratches on bonnet

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I dissent from the opinion that you cannot remove the defects by hand, especially when you are talking of an area of only a few square inches. But of course, the severity of the defects also plays into it.

You will need something with an abrasive component to remove the defects though.

I'd recommend something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and/or Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (or equivalent) with a variety of applicators, i.e., cotton terry, microfiber, and foam. Personally, I prefer the cloth versions over foam when doing hand polishing.
    Never said you couldn’t remove them. Said I didn’t have luck with it. I them followed up with two suggestions of trying a pro and then basically what you just said.

Weird you could disagree (dissent) with my opinion when it did not mesh with yours although again I didn’t say couldn’t be done just I had not had luck. But no mention of agreeing with basically the same thing I said as you....

I had an ex girlfriend who did the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Never had luck getting scratches out by hand. If you don’t have a DA or don’t want to buy one I’d try ap professional.

Saying that if you wan’t to try by hand you’ll need a correcting compound with abrasives or a medium polish at least depending on depth of scratches.

Thanks
    Thought about a pro as well.

Any suggestions with products?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The 3M Hand Glaze and the pad shouldn't have made it worse, unless you really rubbed at it. If we're talking about the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, it's not a polish at all, but a Glaze which has ingredients which will temporarily fill in light defects. Only polishes like Coatingsarecrack mentioned will truly fix it. I also agree the only way to get any real success is with a machine.

As for the source of the scratches, they could be from anything which comes in contact with the hood. If care isn't taken with all the products being used any time it's washed, dried, dusted, covered with a car cover etc. the scratches/marring will appear. Depending on the car, if the paint is really soft it is shockingly easy to scratch the paint. I've made a mark on my wife's Toyota with the swipe of a bare finger...
    Thank you.
    Would I have made it much worse, might have gone a bit much as I didn’t see much happening?
    You can I only put so much pressure with a foam applicator.

How can I see how deep/bad they are?

Yep the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze 5990 1L.

The car is a Nissan Fuga V8 2009 Pearl White.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

Thanks
    Does the Meguiars Polish have abrasive in it.
    Would it be best to try this first?

How much abrasives does the Meguiars Compound have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Thank you.
    Would I have made it much worse, might have gone a bit much as I didn’t see much happening?
    You can I only put so much pressure with a foam applicator.

How can I see how deep/bad they are?

Yep the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze 5990 1L.

The car is a Nissan Fuga V8 2009 Pearl White.
    If you didn't use enough product to lubricate the bad properly it might add more marring. You can only put so much pressure on it, but if your bearing down and hitting the same place for a long time you could make things worse. Fortunately the risk is much lower because the Imperial Hand Glaze has no abrasives in it.

The only real test I know of for depth of scratches is if you can feel them when you run your finger nail lightly over them, they are too deep to correct. Beyond that, most may be correctable, but it comes down to the how much time you are willing to spend and the tools you have on hand to correct them. I have a DA polisher, and even on my vehicles there are a few random scratches in the paint which do not polish out easily and I leave them alone. It isn't worth removing a lot of paint to make them go away.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT19640 View Post
    Thanks
    Does the Meguiars Polish have abrasive in it.
    Would it be best to try this first?

How much abrasives does the Meguiars Compound have?
    Both the polish and the compound have the abrasives in them. The polish will be more mild than the compound. You always want to try the lest aggressive product first, so start with the polish and then try the compound.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Besides what everyone else shared, here's my take.

I rarely meet anyone that has the skill, experience, muscle and tenacity to remove any below surface defects out of modern clearcoats.

You're going to want to get any simple DA polisher, some foam buffing pads and some quality products.

That or hire a professional detailer to do the work for you.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline working and traveling and then I took a day off to recharge the batteries.

Who's going? Southern Detailer's Conference - June 5th & 6th - Lexington, Kentucky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast