autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When to replace microfiber towels

I have a bunch of towels that are years old. I just throw them in the wash together with a tide pod and dry them. While applying Sio2 spray I seem to have fuzz coming off and sticking to the paint. I was working in the garage but outside temps were in the low 90’s. I’m guessing that was too hot but also wondering if I’m past due to buy all new towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When to replace microfiber towels

Do those tide pods have any fabric softener in them? Also, some SIO2 sealants can clogs towels. You’d need to soak them in a bucket with APC or Rags to Riches to help with that.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^good advice. I’m a huge advocate of having plenty of towels, but another thing you can try is running a lint
    roller over those towels to pick out the loose fibers.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All good tips from Fly and Tex...

Another thing you can try right now after you soaked them in APC is to wash them with a cup or 2 (depending on the load) of white vinegar but dont dry them bone dry with high heat. A little dampness is fine and you can let them air dry rest of the way.

6. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I didn’t have any issues applying and drying the Sio2 in cooler temps I’m betting it was too hot. The product seemed to be smearing around rather than wiping dry. I guess being out of the sun wasn’t good enough. I’ll get something made for cleaning my towels properly and wait for cooler weather. Shouldn’t have to wait long in northern Michigan. Thanks much.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo View Post

I have a bunch of towels that are years old. I just throw them in the wash together with a tide pod and dry them. While applying Sio2 spray I seem to have fuzz coming off and sticking to the paint. I was working in the garage but outside temps were in the low 90’s. I’m guessing that was too hot but also wondering if I’m past due to buy all new towels.

Yeah the fuzz or lint problem with microfiber towels is a never ending issue. I see it with probably any and every towel as they wear-out. Even with new towels. I'm not sure there's a 100% sure-fire remedy.

I also don't let it bug me as I know the lint/fuzz will blow off when I drive the car or wash off when it rains or a wash the car. Non-issue in my book.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline working and traveling and then I took a day off to recharge the batteries.

Who's going? Southern Detailer's Conference - June 5th & 6th - Lexington, Kentucky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah the fuzz or lint problem with microfiber towels is a never ending issue. I see it with probably any and every towel as they wear-out. Even with new towels. I'm not sure there's a 100% sure-fire remedy.

I also don't let it bug me as I know the lint/fuzz will blow off when I drive the car or wash off when it rains or a wash the car. Non-issue in my book.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline working and traveling and then I took a day off to recharge the batteries.

Who's going? Southern Detailer's Conference - June 5th & 6th - Lexington, Kentucky

I did just order a bunch of new towels. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soobaroo View Post
    I did just order a bunch of new towels. Thanks
    What you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a package deal with Wolfgang sio2 sealant and some towels. Not sure what brand they are. Still going to order some more and retire my older towels. Some are fairly new

12. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

its been my experience that first and foremost, if you drop a towel while using it, it must be discarded. No matter how new it is.. it picks up dust, sand etc. I don't like washing these towels after using them because it seems to mat up the fibers or if you've dried them with a softener sheet these too can mess with the fibers and over all quality of the towel. I use color coated towels for a variety of car needs. yellow is general purpose and I get these from Costco in a large pack. while blue towels are for glass, red for engine bay etc. it's very rare i order things online as I said the yellow towels can purchase at costco and we're pleased with how these have been keep all our cars clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast