autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Major Detail Planned this Weekend - Question about Wolfgang Products

Hi Everyone - have enjoyed this forum so far as I'm dipping my toe into a detailing hobby.

I recently purchased a new Ford F-150 (Space White color) and this weekend I'm planning to tackle my first major detail. I recently purchased some Wolfgang Car Care products and my major question is do I need to tape up all of the black trim on the truck? Similarly, what about the glossy black B-Pillars that show every swirl/scratch imaginable (literally the only thing I dislike about my truck)?

Here's my plan: 2-Bucket wash and dry, then use a DA polisher to apply Wolfgang Paint Polish Enhancer. After the PPE I plan to do an IPA wipedown (I already have Mothers CMX Panel Prep so using that) just to make sure everything is clean, then apply the Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant followed by Wolfgang SiO2 Silica Spray as my last step product. Is there anything that I'm missing there?

Which of these products can I use on my wheels (if any)? Should I tackle that with a small foam pad or try to use the DA machine?

Lastly, I do have Xpel PPF on the front of my truck (front bumpers and first 6" of hood); I'm guessing I can skip the polish enhancer here but OK to use the SiO2 sealant and spray?

Thanks for any input/advice: kind of nervous but excited as this is my first time doing anything other than wash & wax on any vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Major Detail Planned this Weekend - Question about Wolfgang Products

Are you trying to remove any swirls or light marring? If so the Paint Polish Enhancer might not do it for you since it offers no abrasives and any correction will come from the pad itself. I know you said the truck is new, but it may have led a hard life at the hands of the dealership.

I polish the piano black pillars on my vehicles. The surface is soft and it doesn't take much effort, but a quick pass with a finishing polish and polishing pad with a DA will clean things up nicely.

If you've never machine polished before I'd recommend taping off black trim. As you gain experience you will learn how to polish along edges without hitting unwanted areas.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you trying to remove any swirls or light marring? If so the Paint Polish Enhancer might not do it for you since it offers no abrasives and any correction will come from the pad itself. I know you said the truck is new, but it may have led a hard life at the hands of the dealership.

I polish the piano black pillars on my vehicles. The surface is soft and it doesn't take much effort, but a quick pass with a finishing polish and polishing pad with a DA will clean things up nicely.

If you've never machine polished before I'd recommend taping off black trim. As you gain experience you will learn how to polish along edges without hitting unwanted areas.
    Thanks for the helpful reply. To my untrained eye, the paint is in great condition. No swirls or marring that I can see, so I don't feel like any correction is necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, you're going to love the WG SIO2 sealant. Super easy to use, and the results will speak for themselves. I keep the SIO2 spray as a maintenance product after regular washes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you were to consider adding another step before the PPE, you could use Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze. I did a two step correction on a Harley. Some parts need more attention than others . I used their Total Swirl Remover and then their Finishing Glaze. I am a newb as well but I can assure you, it was easy to use and after the FG, the finish looked better than from the factory.

I wouldn't use their TSR on a new finish, but just FG.

A little bit goes a long way. Before I put product on the pads, i used Wolfgang's Pad Conditioner...just one spritz to lube up the surface of the pad. I changed pads often, and in between sections, I'd wipe excess product off with a terry cloth rag and then agitate with a pad cleaning brush.

I'm pretty new myself sir. Others may weigh in with some better advice.

6. Thanks trailrunz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark View Post
    If you were to consider adding another step before the PPE, you could use Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze. I did a two step correction on a Harley. Some parts need more attention than others . I used their Total Swirl Remover and then their Finishing Glaze. I am a newb as well but I can assure you, it was easy to use and after the FG, the finish looked better than from the factory
    This is a great point. I polished up my son-in-law's brand new Charger Scat Pack last weekend. The paint was pristine except for a couple spots, but I still polished it out with a finishing polish before applying the coating and it really amped up the gloss beyond the factory-new condition of the paint.

With a polishing pad and the PPE it might have a similar effect and will shine things up a bit. It's what the OP has on hand, so I didn't initially go down the road of recommending another purchase. Honestly, I don't use paint cleaners like PPE and go for finishing polishes. They are still really mild on the paint, but will improve the gloss better/easier due to their abrasive ingredients.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Thanks Lance Mark thanked for this post
    Likes dwaleke, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Before polishing with PPE, I would use a clay bar in order to remove all contamination. If the surface feels at all rough, definitely clay. All other steps look on point, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post
    Before polishing with PPE, I would use a clay bar in order to remove all contamination. If the surface feels at all rough, definitely clay. All other steps look on point, good luck.
    If I clay barred it, I'd do a light polishing step before the PPE. I liked Wolfgang's Clay and Lube.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd post an update on how everything went. In short...GREAT! First time using the DA polisher was a bit of a learning curve and honestly didn't prefer using it - but it likely did a much better job than I could by hand. My truck has so many ridges and areas hard to get with the machine that I ended up using a foam applicator by hand quite frequently. As I mentioned before I didn't feel like any paint correction was needed and therefore, I don't feel like the Wolfgang PPE really did anything. I can only hope that it prepped the paint in the best way for the sealant and the sealant will last longer as a result. However, I loved the Wolfgang SiO2 sealant...every review that I read stated how easy it was to put on and buff off and that was exactly my experience. Really made the paint glossy and ultra slick. At this point I was sick of the polisher so applied the sealant completely by hand and it was super quick.

Also, I started the project taping all of my trim panel by panel and after a test spot realized that, in my case, all of the Wolfgang products were trim safe...no white residue or anything; so I will not tape at all next time. Lastly, the SiO2 Silica Spray was also very easy to apply...at this point the paint looked amazing and wiping off the Silica Spray was very easy...no immediate difference noticed after applying the Silica spray but again, hoping it will extend durability. I'll stick to two bucket washes for a while here but will absolutely use Wolfgang products again...I used up about half the bottle of both the PPE and Sealant; much less of the Silica spray.

Here's a picture - no before/after (you wouldn't notice the difference from a picture) but definitely added a lot of dimension to the paint overall.

First Major Detail Planned this Weekend - Question about Wolfgang Products-img_1490-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you did everything right. Not buying a black truck was a good way to start. Never will I buy black again

13. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast