autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CCS Pads by Lake Country separating from the Backing

I have been using mainly the CCS pads by Lake Country for my PC7424XP with a 5 inch backing plate. Here is my process for polishing and buffing as well as cleaning.

After using a pad for about a complete section of a car (meaning the hood and Trunk as one section), I will change out the pad to a new one. If a 20ft to 25 ft boat, I would do 1/3 of a side and then change out pad for a new one (this is not an oxidize finish at all and needs just a clean up with some shine). Most pads used would be Orange and followed up with a white pad then black. I have not had any white pads or black pads separating on me...only Orange pads.

After changing out pads, at the end of the day, I will rinse them out with a hose and nozzle to get much of the chemicals out of them and then agitate them in a bucket of wash water either car or boat wash depending on the day. After that, wring them out and take them home to put in the washing machine along with my MF towels I use for the tires and inside fenders. fluff dry in the dryer or if needed due to time constraints, Place them in the dryer on low heat. The good MF towels, I will wash in the washing machine and air fluff them in the dryer for two cycles.

I have used these particular pads now for about 9 to 10 washings and the pads do look pretty good but the backing is starting to come off on three of them. Is my process that bad or is there something else I should do instead? I have checked the forum and it would appear to be in line with others I think but most people are using zippy or some other form of Pad cleanings and not washing them in a washing machine. Can you tell me if I am ruining my pads myself and chalk it up to lessons learned or fine some other pads to use. Thanks and I have to admit, your advice on Blackfire for my black GMC 4x4 Sierra was crazy right on! I did the Blackfire AIO and the Hybrid Liquid Wax and all I can say is WOW!! Hope you can help me with the Pads and process.

Mike Phillips

Re: CCS Pads by Lake Country separating from the Backing

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked Up View Post

I have been using mainly the CCS pads by Lake Country for my PC7424XP with a 5 inch backing plate.

Can you tell me if I am ruining my pads myself and chalk it up to lessons learned or fine some other pads to use.

The biggest killer of pads is using too few pads to detail a car. For correction work, one pad per panel is a good rule-of-thumb.

Big picture is you need to use more than one or two pads to buff out a car. When you use too few pads the foam becomes saturated with product --> LIQUID. The liquid holds in the heat and the VIOLENT action of the tool at high speed plus the heat wears pads out and causes the velcro to de-laminate.

I wash all our pads in a top loading, agitator style washing machine and then throw them in the dry. They still last a long time but I do lose one once in a while. But the time I save washing by machine and the great job that it does is worth it to have clean pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked Up View Post

Thanks and I have to admit, your advice on Blackfire for my black GMC 4x4 Sierra was crazy right on!

I did the Blackfire AIO and the Hybrid Liquid Wax and all I can say is WOW!!

Hope you can help me with the Pads and process.
    BLACKFIRE One Step topped with BlackIce is a good combo.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The biggest killer of pads is using too few pads to detail a car. For correction work, one pad per panel is a good rule-of-thumb.

Big picture is you need to use more than one or two pads to buff out a car. When you use too few pads the foam becomes saturated with product --> LIQUID. The liquid holds in the heat and the VIOLENT action of the tool at high speed plus the heat wears pads out and causes the velcro to de-laminate.

I wash all our pads in a top loading, agitator style washing machine and then throw them in the dry. They still last a long time but I do lose one once in a while. But the time I save washing by machine and the great job that it does is worth it to have clean pads.

BLACKFIRE One Step topped with BlackIce is a good combo.

Thank you for the response and educating me at the same time. I normally use at least 4 pads per vehicle and it sounds like I need to use more with less product and maybe less speed to keep the heat down. Sounds like I will be placing an order for pads today for the 6 or 12 package. Since I am doing a lot of boat work, I have two boats and my friend all have boats, what would be the best products for the cleaning with very light oxidation if any? I was going to try the Blackfire on my boat (little to no oxidation) but did not know if there would be better. I don't like to do it alot so I do take great pride in washing it after each use and wiping a detailing on it such as the Wolfgang mixed with DI Water at a 3 to 4 oz. to a gallon of DI Water. Thanks again for the great information.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

I think the worst LC pads for the velcro separating were the dual layer constant contact pads. I think the newer LC pads are better in that regard. Personally, I like the Griots line of pads. The velcro is nice and thick.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used CCS for about 10 years now (not the same pads) and never had one do this. I finish using the pad then soak it with pad cleaner spray, rinse and scrub with scrub brush. Ive power rinsed them other times, Ive soaked them in MF cleaner overnights. Ive never tried the washing machine though. Ive never had any pads backing come off. Weird
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels