autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Country flat white, blue and green pad...which one when?

Hey Mike, I did a complete paint correction on my wife's daily driver which is a 2014 black Acura MDX. I also touched up several rock chips and I will say that I am very happy with the results. I used Acura touch up pen, acetone to wipe off excess, 2000 sand paper, then 3000, then Meguires 105/205 with an orange/white pad. For the correction, I used a PC polisher with Meguires 205 with an orange orange pad and made one complete 8 section pass around the car. I then went back over it with a white pad and made another 8 section pass with the white pad. I just wasn't completely happy after the 1st time or second time around the car, so I made another 8 section pass around but on the third and final pass I used Meguires UC with white pad.

I was not able to get the paint picture perfect over 100% of the car but overall I was very happy with the results. I would like to know if I would have had different results had I used the blue or green pad while polishing with the 205 at any point, or on the last time around the car instead of using the white pad? Is the green pad ever used when not applying an all in one? Will the blue polish out the paint with 205 or UC a little better than the white pad?

When does one know to use the white, blue or green pads and when?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country flat white, blue and green pad...which one when?

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Hey Mike, I did a complete paint correction on my wife's daily driver which is a 2014 black Acura MDX. I also touched up several rock chips and I will say that I am very happy with the results. I used Acura touch up pen, acetone to wipe off excess, 2000 sand paper, then 3000, then Meguires 105/205 with an orange/white pad. For the correction, I used a PC polisher with Meguires 205 with an orange orange pad and made one complete 8 section pass around the car. I then went back over it with a white pad and made another 8 section pass with the white pad. I just wasn't completely happy after the 1st time or second time around the car, so I made another 8 section pass around but on the third and final pass I used Meguires UC with white pad.

I was not able to get the paint picture perfect over 100% of the car but overall I was very happy with the results. I would like to know if I would have had different results had I used the blue or green pad while polishing with the 205 at any point, or on the last time around the car instead of using the white pad? Is the green pad ever used when not applying an all in one? Will the blue polish out the paint with 205 or UC a little better than the white pad?

When does one know to use the white, blue or green pads and when?
    This is always determined with the tried and true "Test Spot".

Test different pad/product combinations on one (test) spot to dial-in your process. Then...... continue on with the rest of the vehicle.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    This is always determined with the tried and true "Test Spot".

Test different pad/product combinations on one (test) spot to dial-in your process. Then...... continue on with the rest of the vehicle.
    Paul you are so right. I assumed my 105/orange pad finished with 105/white pad would have brought sufficient satisfaction...but it didn’t. That’s what I get for assuming and j no it test spotting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Besides not doing a test spot, why would you use UC for the final step?

Between the 105, 205, and Ultimate Compound, the 205 is the best choice for the final polishing.

6. Likes dwaleke, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Besides not doing a test spot, why would you use UC for the final step?

Between the 105, 205, and Ultimate Compound, the 205 is the best choice for the final polishing.
    Typo. I finished with UP and white pad.