autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

weird film on new tires

Hi.

I just got new tires put on our Tahoe from the dealership. I noticed they looked weird when I picked it up but I figured they were dirty. Today I went to detail the truck so I decided to clean them with tuf shine. I did like the instructions as always. sprayed down tire. waited. wet brush scrubbed rinsed. when they started to dry they looked a mess. so I took Wolfgang tire and rim cleaner to them. which is weaker anyway. no change. I used just t he brush that comes with the kit. I noticed if I rubbed my finger on the tire the film would come off like when your skin is dry and you rub it. I'm at a loss. I have had countless sets of new tires and never an issue.

here are pictures.

IMG_6149 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_6148 by Jim, on Flickr

see here if I rub my finger on the tire it comes off, but the brush and eve na towel scrubbing didn't take it off.
    IMG_6147 by Jim, on Flickr

IMG_6146 by Jim, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Re: weird film on new tires

Stoners tarminator will get it off.
    Glen -

3. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had the same issue couple weeks ago!

Some kind of factory glue. Tuf Shine couldn't cut it.

Go to local drug store and get some 91% alcohol.

Spray on and use a stiff brush. It'll come off but expect to put in some effort.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a mold release agent. Do as Tommy suggested and use some alcohol or some lacquer thinner. Scrub with the kit brush and tire cleaner until the foam turns white. Tires need to be super clean before coating.

Just did some Michelins 4 times and still getting some browning. Some brands of tires are easy and some are not, even if they are the same brand.

Mike P turned me on using a drill and brush to clean tires..so much easier. It's like compounding by hand versus using a machine.

7. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys. I started to research a bit after I posted. I was thinking tire mold agent so I read goo gone. Went back out to the garage to took a microfiber pad and soaked it in goo gone and went wild. I got most of it off. Problem is all the numbers and letters and edges of tires. So at least I’m on the right track as you have all explained to me also.

So tomorrow. Rubbing alcohol or stick with the goo gone? Question will the goo gone damage my rims? What about the alcohol?

Also to make sure I have this right. Spray the tire down with the alcohol or goo gone. Scrub with the kit brush. But use the kit cleaner spray to suds up the alcohol or goo gone? So no water? Sorry.

I appreciate the help.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    Hey guys. I started to research a bit after I posted. I was thinking tire mold agent so I read goo gone. Went back out to the garage to took a microfiber pad and soaked it in goo gone and went wild. I got most of it off. Problem is all the numbers and letters and edges of tires. So at least I’m on the right track as you have all explained to me also.

So tomorrow. Rubbing alcohol or stick with the goo gone? Question will the goo gone damage my rims? What about the alcohol?

Also to make sure I have this right. Spray the tire down with the alcohol or goo gone. Scrub with the kit brush. But use the kit cleaner spray to suds up the alcohol or goo gone? So no water? Sorry.

I appreciate the help.

Jim
    Try both goo gone or alcohol...use the one that you like best.

Do 1/4 section of tire at a time. Spray, brush and remove with a towel. Move on to next section.

And do wipe down the rims from time to time.

If plan to coat...Then do a final cut with tuf shine, soap and water with brush. Tires are done and clean when the foaming from brush is white.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Try both goo gone or alcohol...use the one that you like best.

Do 1/4 section of tire at a time. Spray, brush and remove with a towel. Move on to next section.

And do wipe down the rims from time to time.

If plan to coat...Then do a final cut with tuf shine, soap and water with brush. Tires are done and clean when the foaming from brush is white.

Tom
    perfect thanks Tom. Awesome.

so this brings up future cleaning and stripping when I decide to reapply coating to my Jeep or this truck. Should I use alcohol and the tuff shine? Seems like the tuff shine isnt enough to truest get tires clean of silicone dressings and over all road use.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Glen said above, Tarminator will take it all right off. You don't want to use that regularly to clean the tires, but on new tires it's amazing at leaving the rubber perfectly clean.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

The suggestion I made above about tarminator comes directly from amour all tech service. About three years ago I put armor all semi permanent coating on my tires, -I forget what it’s called-and it was terrible. It look like a glazed doughnut after a day or two and I wanted it off. And it was going to take a huge amount of scrubbing and alcohol to get it off. I called armor all directly and complained, and the tech was really a good guy, he said they use tarminator when they need to get a tire clean in their chem lab. One spray /one wipe and it was all off. Agreed it’s not a regular maintenance item, it’s for a special occasions just like this.
    Glen -

13. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    perfect thanks Tom. Awesome.

so this brings up future cleaning and stripping when I decide to reapply coating to my Jeep or this truck. Should I use alcohol and the tuff shine? Seems like the tuff shine isnt enough to truest get tires clean of silicone dressings and over all road use.

No...should be ok.

Tuf Shine will be all you need in the future.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast