autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black F350 Paint Correction and Jet Seal

Hi,

I just got into home detailing on my cars and bought a G9 and the 3” G8 along with many chemicals and cleaners to get going.

My truck is a 2011 Black F350 that has never been really cleaned the right way, waxed but not a good cleaning.

I did the steps below and cannot believe how well it came out. Really cool to see the changes and easier than I though although it is by no means a quick process

I think the compound polish and wax took 11 hours and that is not including the prep and interior.

What I did

1. Wash with whatever auto soap I had
    2. McGuire’s speed clay handle tool with car wash soap for lube
    3. Iron-x (works amazing)
    4. TurtleWax Bug and Tar (works so so)
    5. Washed again.
    6. McGuire’s Ultimate Compound needed the microfiber for the tailgate that was badly scratched, worked awesome
    7. McGuire’s Ultimate Polish, worked great again
    8. Applied one coat of Jet Seal, not as shiny as I though it would be

My question is the following. I initially wanted to do two coats of Jet Seal but only did one and was wondering if two was necessary.

Since I did the initial application of Jet Seal last weekend there has been rain and a lit of pollen, so I have used Chemical Guys Waterless wash and McGuire’s Ultimate Quick Detailer both of which have some sort of protectant.

If I were to do another coat of Jet Seal would I have to strip those two detailer applications?

Is it worth it?

And what is the best way?

Ideally, I would like to apply another coat of the Jet Seal and follow that with Butter Wax

Thanks, and any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2011 Black F350

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black F350 Paint Correction and Jet Seal

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryan View Post
    Hi,
    I just got into home detailing on my cars and bought a G9 and the 3” G8 along with many chemicals and cleaners to get going. My truck is a 2011 Black F350 that has never been really cleaned the right way, waxed but not a good cleaning. So, I did the steps below and cannot believe how well it came out. Really cool to see the changes and easier than I though although it is by no means a quick process. I think the compound polish and wax took 11 hours and that is not including the prep and interior.
    What I did
    1. Wash with whatever auto soap I had
    2. McGuire’s speed clay handle tool with car wash soap for lube
    3. Iron-x (works amazing)
    4. TurtleWax Bug and Tar (works so so)
    5. Washed again.
    6. McGuire’s Ultimate Compound needed the microfiber for the tailgate that was badly scratched, worked awesome
    7. McGuire’s Ultimate Polish, worked great again
    8. Applied one coat of Jet Seal, not as shiny as I though it would be
    My question is the following. I initially wanted to do two coats of Jet Seal but only did one and was wondering if two was necessary. Since I did the initial application of Jet Seal last weekend there has been rain and a lit of pollen, so I have used Chemical Guys Waterless wash and McGuire’s Ultimate Quick Detailer both of which have some sort of protectant. If I were to do another coat of Jet Seal would I have to strip those two detailer applications? Is it worth it? And what is the best way? Ideally, I would like to apply another coat of the Jet Seal and follow that with Butter Wax
    Thanks, and any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome to the forum from one Jersey guy to another. Glad you have such a good experience detailing your truck. Not to cast shade, but the Quick Detailer and the Waterless Wash added some sacrificial layers which will not last long. Additionally, neither will Jet Seal. I've used it, and in my experience, there are several sealants out there which will give you longer lasting protection. I'd say give it about a month, maybe two, and it will be all but gone from the picture. At that point, I'd say apply a quality sealant, such as Jescar Powerlock, or their new Ultra Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or their SIO2 sealant (my personal favorite, and then top it with a wax of your choosing.....but not Butter Wet Wax. It lasts about two weeks. Jescar ColorLock is a better option.

Where in NJ are you? If you're not far, I have some products I could spare some samples (4oz) of, which I'd be happy to share.

3. Likes Rsurfer, Paul A., hoyt66 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the feedback. I understand that being new to this you sometimes pick-up the wrong products and listen to the wrong reviews until you find what works best for you. I'll look into those that you suggested. What if anything should I use until I do the reseal? Pollen season is really bad right now as you know and would like to keep it clean without full washes every week.

I'm up north in Ringwood.

Thanks
    2011 Black F350

Post Thanks / Like

Not much you can do with pollen except wash it off.

Some products seem to attract/hold on to pollen more than others.

It seems to me that carnauba waxes & synthetic sealant blends might hold on to pollen a bit more compared to a ceramic coating.

But you'll need to wash the car either way to get the pollen off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I get it. Do you guys recommend the foam guns? Or is that just a gimmick and just do regular correct two bucket washes? Thing is that I spent all that time getting the scratches out of the black metallic I would hate to scratch up with the washing until the existing coatings wear off and I can recoat with something more substantial.

Sorry for all the questions but starting off you need some guidance from those much more experienced.

Then onto the wife's white Audi Q7 with some scratches which already has McGuire's Hybrid Ceramic Wax applied about a month ago for a compound, polish and wax. Then the daughters black Jetta which has the same coating.
    2011 Black F350

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use foam cannon with my pw as a pre soak to get the heavy contaminants off b4 moving to a 2 bucket wash on detail jobs. Also use foam cannon for my personal vehicles that are still clean(dont get driven in rain) and just has pollen on it if I don't have time to do a normal bucket wash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Welcome to the forum from one Jersey guy to another. Glad you have such a good experience detailing your truck. Not to cast shade, but the Quick Detailer and the Waterless Wash added some sacrificial layers which will not last long. Additionally, neither will Jet Seal. I've used it, and in my experience, there are several sealants out there which will give you longer lasting protection. I'd say give it about a month, maybe two, and it will be all but gone from the picture. At that point, I'd say apply a quality sealant, such as Jescar Powerlock, or their new Ultra Lock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or their SIO2 sealant (my personal favorite, and then top it with a wax of your choosing.....but not Butter Wet Wax. It lasts about two weeks. Jescar ColorLock is a better option.

Where in NJ are you? If you're not far, I have some products I could spare some samples (4oz) of, which I'd be happy to share.
    100% A black land yacht deserves better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Ryan View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. I understand that being new to this you sometimes pick-up the wrong products and listen to the wrong reviews until you find what works best for you. I'll look into those that you suggested. What if anything should I use until I do the reseal? Pollen season is really bad right now as you know and would like to keep it clean without full washes every week.

I'm up north in Ringwood.

Thanks
    PM sent

Post Thanks / Like

btw.....we'd like to see pictures, please

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, and only fair. I'll get some tomorrow.
    2011 Black F350

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast