autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering coatings

As noted by my rush of questions, it’s that time I go through every 3-5 years where I look into my cabinet full of half empty detailing product bottles and think, “I need some new stuff.” From the thread where I looked at what to put on my sons car to send him off to school, I decided to use the Griot’s 3in1 ceramic spray I bought recently but I started to look into coatings.

Now I’m thinking about putting a coating on my wife’s yacht - ‘14 Lincoln Navigator in Tuxedo Black. I’ve resisted coatings because I wasn’t sure I could get the paint ‘good enough’* and also because I like to play with lsp’s. However, I really don’t enjoy working on her car. It’s just too big. If I put a coating on her car, I’ll still have my MINI to play with. I also don’t have as much energy after a major MI last fall.

I’m looking for coating recommendations that are easy to apply, easy to maintain, and overall will protect her large vehicle with the least fuss. If it makes a difference, I really prefer to clean with rinseless & waterless products. Please let me know what I need to have to keep whatever coating going.

*It isn’t in too bad a shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Considering coatings

Prepare for the flood of replies, Tex................
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to choose a user-friendly coating, I would go with Optimum Gloss Coat.

4. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3D's ceramic coating is easy to apply and seems to work well.

I have it on one car and it's holding up well. Coming up on a year. Not much mileage in that time due to Covid but it sits outside in the sun and elements every day.

I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating on my RAM 1500 soon. I need to put something on it that will make it easier to clean. Washing an uncoated vehicle is much more of a chore.

I picked HPC because it looks very easy to apply, you get enough product to go around any size vehicle twice, price is right, and I already have a lot of the maintenance topper M799.

Lots of people seem to be happy with Cquartz UK 3.0 and I've heard a lot of good things about Gtechniq CSL although I've heard their topper C2V3 isn't the greatest (probably use something else).

Good luck. Literally dozens and dozens of options.

6. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, goldendodo19, robwoodgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Dumb question, how much mixing can you do for different ‘systems’? For example, using Reload over top of serum light or Gyeon wax over CQuartz UK v. 3.0.

Also, I should have said I’d like a one coat option if possible. Doing the same job over and over for several days, especially if extended curing times are involved, wouldn’t suit me. (Edited to add)

Post Thanks / Like

Washing an uncoated vehicle is much more of a chore.

Dwaleke so true! And do you not like the 3D coating enough to buy again and use on your Ram? Just curious.

Tex two coats in IMO of a coating is not that much harder and can apply an hour or two later not days... and it only takes an hour to apply on average to apply. It does make a difference visually and in durability.

Best of luck in choosing from so many options lol

9. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate, Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering coatings

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Dwaleke so true! And do you not like the 3D coating enough to buy again and use on your Ram? Just curious.
    I was going to use the 3D coating on my truck too but it only comes in 30ml bottles so I would have needed two of them at more than double the price I picked up the Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating.

There only thing it lacks is slickness but that's pretty common for SIO2 based coating. Their Bead It Up spray topper adds the slickness.

I like to try different things too and not being a full time detailer myself and having limited time I don't get to try nearly as many things as I want.

I think I'm looking for the perfect product for me. Something that lasts a solid year through a Michigan winter, good amount of product for the price, ease of application, added gloss, not prone to water spotting, no nasty ingredients, and excellent self cleaning ability (same properties that make actual cleaning much easier). The only way to know if the 3D coating is the right product for me is to test other ones that might fit that description too.

But I would not hesitate to use 3D's coating again. So far it seems to be just as good as other coatings at typically half (or just less than) the price of ones I've bought in the recent past.

11. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a fan of, and continually come back to CQuartz UK. I've used versions 2.0 and 3.0 and I haven't found any I like better.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares, Texchappy, Caraman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm still a fan of, and continually come back to CQuartz UK. I've used versions 2.0 and 3.0 and I haven't found any I like better.
    I was leaning towards CQUK 3.0 and just a second from clicking order. (I overthink these things). What should I get with it? Maintenance? Extra towels etc for install?

Will one of the smaller bottles do a navigator?

Did a two bucket wash today for the first time in a few years. Forgot how much work it is. Carpro has Echo2. Worth picking up for rinseless use?

Post Thanks / Like

For a Lincoln Navigator I'd probably get the 50mL bottle just to be safe. Since you're new to applying coatings you'll probably put it on a little too heavy and having the extra product will save you from running out. If you have any left over, you can use it on your wheels, side windows, parts of another vehicle....

As for other products, I'd make sure you have some good soft towels (at least 2) to do the product removal (don't use the included towel) that you'll throw away afterwards. The coating will harden them and make them unusable after your done. I'd also pick up a 500mL bottle of Ech2O. It is a great companion product you can use as a drying aid, QD spray, Waterless Wash, etc. It's highly concentrated so when mixing at the QD ratio of 1:20 it goes a LONG way. I've never used it for rinseless wash and not sure how much it takes for that usage. That might drive you to buy a bigger bottle. Either way, It's product I'm never without regardless of the coating I'm using.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast