autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bare Aluminum Morgan Three Wheeler

Mike - I just found this forum and saw that you're here! I took one of your amazing classes when you were in Irvine....15 years ago! I was in a Subaru club with my WRX and have since downgraded to the best worst car

When you're 6ft away, it looks pretty good as you can see in pics. Up close, not up to my standards (it came this way...you taught me how not to do this!):

I tested by hand rubbing a bit of aluminum polish in a small area and the microfiber turned black so it looks like it's bare aluminum.

I saw the process you laid out on the Grumman truck. My goal is to remove all the swirls and really have it shine. I'd like to see if I can correct some of the deeper scratches too like the one that can be seen in the pics, but I'm not as concerned with them as they're just a few. Couple of questions:

1. Would you recommend that I do the same as the Grumman process? If not, can you help suggest what you'd recommend for tools/pads/product?
    2. For the smaller areas of the body that I wouldn't be able to get to with a rotary or 5/6" backing plate on a DA, what tools/pad/process would you recommend?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bare Aluminum Morgan Three Wheeler

Can't seem to edit my post....

Wanted to add that in addition to correction, my goal is also to help prevent/slow oxidation so if any suggestions there would appreciate it.

Mike Phillips

Great to hear from you!

I left Meguiar's in 2009 - been running this forum and working for AG ever since.

I apologize but I'm in the middle of detailing some cars to create new content. That's what I am and what I do, even since you knew me. I'm a detailer that can type, talk and take pictures and then actually do something with them.

Check out this thread, read through it, don't scan it.

Removing very fine scratches in un-coated polished aluminum

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike - Thank so much for the help. While reading through the thread you linked, I was trying to find the two products you mentioned in post #4 (soft Lake Country foam WAXING pad, Wolfgang Concours Finishing Polish) in the store and had trouble finding it. Can you help to link to them?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike - I’m sure you’re busy. But in case my question in previous post was missed....bump.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike - Not sure if you saw my question. Read through link you provided. Trying to find the two products you mentioned in post #4 (soft Lake Country foam WAXING pad, Wolfgang Concours Finishing Polish) in the store and had trouble finding it. Can you help to link to them?

Mike Phillips

Hey I'm kind of caught-up...

Working on come pictures for the cars that will be here for my class this weekend.

Give me a call right now if you can on my cell.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by socalM3W View Post

Mike - Thank so much for the help. While reading through the thread you linked, I was trying to find the two products you mentioned in post #4 (soft Lake Country foam WAXING pad, Wolfgang Concours Finishing Polish) in the store and had trouble finding it.

Can you help to link to them?

Since I wrote the above, Lake Country has changed up their pad offerings.

This finishing pad would be close to the foam waxing pad I originally recommended.

Black Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Here's the link to a LIGHT polishing pad - I would try this with the FINE polish

Green Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad

Here's the link to the fine finishing polish

Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Concours Aluminum Polish

Here's link to the FINE polish

Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Fine Aluminum Polish

You'll need to clean the pad often or switch to a clean pad often. Aluminum like you're working on is very sensitive to marring.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike - Thanks for taking the time to talk to me. It was really helpful and such excellent customer service. If you get a moment and can link the polishing pad you recommended if I needed to go more aggressive and use the Wolfgang MetallWerk™ Fine Aluminum Polish.

Mike Phillips

I just added the links to the other two products we talked about on the phone.

Again - it would be better to be there in person to help with the testing but since I can't be there - you'll have to do the testing on you're own.

I think you mentioned you have a G9 - these come with a 6" backing plate from the factory, if you don't have the smaller 5" backing plate then you'll need to get the larger versions of the pads I've shared or get a 5" backing plate.