autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recolor My World

Topic Withdrawn Due to Responders Negative Comments. Resulting in Some Members Being Ignored.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recolor My World

I'm lost in transit also... While I understand that we all have are own reasons, it baffles me as to why anyone would repaint a brand new vehicle, unless it is for the show circuit.

Nothing you can put on that vehicle can match the reliability and durability of the factory paint. And the cost of anything that comes close to the quality of a factory paint job on something that size has to be astronomical.

To each his own.

3. Dislikes LostInTransit disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I get a new car, I will ceramic coat it as that offers the best protection right now. While you could go with professional coatings that are marketed to last 7-10 years, the reality is that most would last around 2 years if kept outside and much more if babied. If babied (not kept outside 24/7), you could probably get 3+ years from even a good consumer coating. I bought CQuartz UK 3.0, which is one of the top consumer coatings with a great reputation, and I’m going to top with CQuartz SiC (silicon-carbide). They have slightly different chemical formulations and between the two, offer really good protection to a myriad of contaminants such as chemicals, water spots, etc. So that would be my vote for a new car.

The main thing you need to worry about with new paint is making sure it has cured (out-gassed) enough before sealing the paint. You may want to see if they can heat cure the paint to reduce this time. Without heat-curing, I think the general rule is 60 days until the paint can be coated but ask your painter.

Here’s a thread Mike P. responded to with some great information. But the general gist is you can’t protect the paint until the paint has cured.
    New Paint - Wax : 3Mo, Paint Sealant Immediately?

5. Thanks LostInTransit thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post
    Dude to each his own is correct & you reply wasn't very helpful. Let's keep the topic "Positive" and besides, isn't this category titled "Ask Mike"? It is going to be a show van, repainting the outside is merely part of the rebuild. we have so many new things we're adding to the van that no one has ever thought about. Everyone else used wood or PVC tubes to build cabinets or bed frames.. not us we're going in a new direction and we're going to show it off when we done by hitting the road with national car tour and shows.

Ford Unleashes 10 Custom Vans at 2013 SEMA Show !– News – Car and Driver
    Well there you have it... it is a show car. My point was simply that repainting a brand new vehicle for typical usage in the real world is not something I would recommend.

So... in a positive light, my number one recommendation would be to give the new paint plenty of cure time before sealing it with a LSP. Being a "candy" color you are going to have much more paint than a typical repaint. Base color, candy color, then clear. This would fall into my 90-day minimum cure time category before applying a LSP.

Sanding, compounding and polishing can be done whenever, although the farther out from paint time it is performed, the more permanent the results will be as the paint texture will change during the cure process. It's a minor change but it is there nonetheless. If time is of the essence and the desire is to sand immediately, I'd wait at least a few days, then sand it with 1500G. Allow a few more days then finish with 3000G (and finer if desired). Then you can get to the compounding and polishing steps.

As for what products, everyone has their own opinions on that so I won't even address that aspect. What's the painter have to say?

Mike Phillips

Apologies for getting here late.

Besides providing Autogeek Customer Care on this forum I have a lot other job duties that make me what I am - a new and original content creator.

Now that the original post is gone - I don't know what to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are the "negative comments" in John's post?

I'm assuming that his initial response was the one that miffed the OP because of the "dislike".

If there was a negative comment in there, I am also "Lost in Transit".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes dwaleke, oneheadlite liked this post
    Dislikes LostInTransit disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit that my initial response wasn't completely benign. After his response which is quoted in post #4 I tried to remedy that.

It was sometime after my second post that the original was deleted.

Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I'll admit that my initial response wasn't completely benign. After his response which is quoted in post #4 I tried to remedy that.

It was sometime after my second post that the original was deleted.

Oh well.
    Your first response seemed fine to me. Maybe phrased a little nicer? :dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Dislikes LostInTransit disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Apologies for getting here late.

Besides providing Autogeek Customer Care on this forum I have a lot other job duties that make me what I am - a new and original content creator.

Now that the original post is gone - I don't know what to say.

Mike, it's a moot point now because I'll be needing surgery on my left leg and I may never be able to drive the transit Connect again because I'll not be able to bend my leg to fit into the cramp space.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LostInTransit View Post

Mike, it's a moot point now because I'll be needing surgery on my left leg and I may never be able to drive the transit Connect again because I'll not be able to bend my leg to fit into the cramp space.

Sorry to hear this...

I'm missing my right leg and I drive anything with an automatic transmission and simply use my left leg to operate the gas pedal and brakes.

So don't give up.

15. Thanks LostInTransit thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast