autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool What is recommended to restore gelcoat on a 1996 Ranger R72 Bass Boat

Good Day Mike,

I live in Carterville, IL and would like to know what you would recommend to restore my Ranger bass boat gelcoat to the best shine without the chance of ruining the gel coat. The boat has metal flake in the gel coat. I have watched several of your videos and there is only one person in the area that does boats that I have found and they are booked through June. I was also wondering if a ceramic coat might be recommended to prevent future oxidation. If possible, I would like to purchase a machine that could do the job and also maintain my vehicles as well.
    thank you,
    Chris
    What is recommended to restore gelcoat on a 1996 Ranger R72 Bass Boat-e4aee170-f1c3-4a95-b9de-56cc664f3ade-jpgWhat is recommended to restore gelcoat on a 1996 Ranger R72 Bass Boat-7961d320-ca0b-4856-a394-490456e5ef04-jpg

Mike Phillips

Re: What is recommended to restore gelcoat on a 1996 Ranger R72 Bass Boat

Sorry - just now found this - will get back to you tomorrow

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a good machine to use and chemicals to restore it without wet sanding? Pad combo?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CHeuerman View Post

What is a good machine to use and chemicals to restore it without wet sanding? Pad combo?
    Apologies for not getting back to this and STILL not caught up. Not your problem but mine.

Here's your boat.

Here's two ways to tackle it,

Option 1

Rotary buffer with wool pad - Marine 31 Captain's Compound (expensive but uses great abrasive technology), for initial cut

Any ORBITAL - with foam cutting pad and Marine 31 Captain's Compound to polish and remove holograms

Chemically strip and apply Marine 31 Vessel Coat - apply at least 2 coats - she'll look amazing.

Option 2

Get the FLEX BEAST or the Supa BEAST - use with RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing pad, this one,

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

You'll need to get the 6" optional backing plate for the Supa BEAST as it comes from the factory with a 5" backing plate.

Then get the RUPES 180mm yellow foam pads and use the Captain's Compound to re-polish to remove micro-marring and create a super high gloss finish.

Chemically strip and apply Marine 31 Vessel Coat - apply at least 2 coats - she'll look amazing.

I guarantee the boat will look like a "Show Boat".

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, is the Rupes Yellow DA foam pad or just the Rupes yellow foam? Also, if i decide not to go with vessel coat, do I just use the captains compound only or would it require the sealant wax? Also sorry last questions, will two of each pad be enough for the boat? Can i use the dr. Beasley on top of the captains for a sort of ceramic coating. I also would to buy the towels you like to use so much in the videos. I am going with the Beast 3401 for the polisher since it seams that is the best tool for the job and safe for the cars. Thanks again for your expertise. I hope to get everything ordered in the next day or so. I will definitely take photos and post when I am done with the boat. I am a total newb, do you have a line to call to make sure I am getting everything.

Mike Phillips

Mike, is the Rupes Yellow DA foam pad or just the Rupes yellow foam?
    RUPES has foam pads for dual action polishers and for rotary polishers. Stick with the pad for the tool you're using.

Also, if i decide not to go with vessel coat, do I just use the captains compound only or would it require the sealant wax?
    Yes. The Captain's Compound, like the majority of compound on planet Earth are "dedicated" products, they are designed to abrade the surface. They do not include ingredients that provide protection. In fact, most are water soluble. This doesn not mean they are water-based, just water soluble. And this means any shine they create will wash away with water.

Also sorry last questions, will two of each pad be enough for the boat?
    Probably. One thing about the new RUPES foam pads - they are STOUT. They will take a beating and keep on buffing. I have around 40 of the new yellow 180mm CP foam pads in the garage and we use the hell out of them. Then wash them in the washing machine and then dry them in the dryer and they just don't seem to wear.

Can i use the dr. Beasley on top of the captains for a sort of ceramic coating.
    Yes. You'll want some of the stout towels I've been sharing for a few months now. The Dr. Beasley's products can be a tick sticky to wipe off and the right towel makes a huge difference. These towels will also work great for wiping off the Captain's Compound. I recommend getting enough to make a small DEDICATED wash load so you wash all the same things together.

See here and I'm talking about the orange towels. Link is in write-up.

2016 Mercedes-Benz S550 4MATIC Coupe - Wolfgang Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating

I also would to buy the towels you like to use so much in the videos.
    Ha ha... I read the above sentence after answering the previous question. I'm thinking the orange towels are the towels you're referring to.

I am going with the Beast 3401 for the polisher since it seams that is the best tool for the job and safe for the cars.
    Good choice. The best and most versatile tool on the market in my opinion. Because FLEX is discontinuing the original BEAST and replacing it with the new Supa BEAST - I'd recommend getting an extra backing plate or two for the BEAST.

Thanks again for your expertise.
    Your welcome, just trying to pay it forward. Anytime someone comes to this forum for my help instead of the myriad of other options - well I appreciate it.

I hope to get everything ordered in the next day or so. I will definitely take photos and post when I am done with the boat.

I am a total newb, do you have a line to call to make sure I am getting everything.

Near as I can tell, Andre is the only customer support employee that gets on the forum? At least when he's on his name shows up on the "Who's Online" list of members on the left hand side of the forum homepage.

Andre also helps me to teach both the boat class and the car classes so he's VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about all the stuff in my head I dump out in the classes. I'd call customer care and try to get through to Andre. He's also a super nice guy.

1-800-869-3011 x1244