autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polisher for weekend warrior

Mike, what would your recommendation be for a DA for a weekend hobbyist in 2021?

that’s the question in general. I fit that description. I’ve had a Porter Cable since 2006ish that still works for me but wonder what the tool would be if I started today.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher for weekend warrior

Griot’s Garage G9. But there’s nothing wrong with using a Porter Cable. It’s just not as refined as a G9.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like Harbor freight is now selling a knock off from one of the Griots or rupes unit, has anybody bought one of these yet? It looks interesting
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Weekends are short for pros and enthusiasts alike. You want to get as much time out of them as you can. Flex 3401 carves time off paint correction.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

5. Likes dcjredline, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

word of wisdom from me, whatever tool you think will work for you...try to buy something even better than that. I purchased a megs mt300 years ago for my personal vehicles, this was before i found this forum with all of you knowledgeable folks. i thought the mt300 would be enough for me. started doing other peoples vehicles. learning what i am learning now from all of you... i want a flex to cut down on time!

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    It looks like Harbor freight is now selling a knock off from one of the Griots or rupes unit, has anybody bought one of these yet? It looks interesting
    I bought the HF version of the PC years ago, and while it has been reliable and worked pretty well, it is still a loud and rough running tool. Some parts are rather cheap and crude. My guess the HF competitor to the Griots is the same. I've only looked at them on the display. My advise is to spend the extra money for a really well made tool and the lifetime warranty that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    word of wisdom from me, whatever tool you think will work for you...try to buy something even better than that.
    Great advice. I started off with a HF DA polisher and all of it's compromises years ago. After recently upgrading to a Griots G15 and seeing how much better it is, I realize I should have just bit the bullet and bought a good polisher from the beginning.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes opie, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

Mike, what would your recommendation be for a DA for a weekend hobbyist in 2021?

that’s the question in general. I fit that description. I’ve had a Porter Cable since 2006ish that still works for me but wonder what the tool would be if I started today.

What are you working on?

One car. Two cars, Three cars?

One truck and a motorhome?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What are you working on?

One car. Two cars, Three cars?

One truck and a motorhome?

3 cars now... ‘14 Lincoln Navigator in Black, ‘08 Mini Cooper convertible in Astro Black, ‘17 Honda Civic in blue. I’m looking at getting a new Ranger which my youngest says has to be red. I’m also helping my helper with her Jeep Patriot in silver/gray. She has a friend that has a new black Toyota that has some paint issues.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

3 cars now... ‘14 Lincoln Navigator in Black, ‘08 Mini Cooper convertible in Astro Black, ‘17 Honda Civic in blue. I’m looking at getting a new Ranger which my youngest says has to be red. I’m also helping my helper with her Jeep Patriot in silver/gray. She has a friend that has a new black Toyota that has some paint issues.

If I were you?

Those are all nice cars. You're time invested into paying for them and now your time invested in maintaining them is substantial.

Get the FLEX Supa BEAST, a 6" backing plate and RUPES 7" yellow and white pads. Never look back. You can maximize your time and energy simply via a gear-driven orbital polisher.

The FLEX BEASTS - All Brawl - ZERO stall!

If you don't want to spend that kind of coin - then get the Griot's G9. Also get a 5" backing plate and Buff & Shine 6" Uro-Tec pads. The yellow pads are a good all-around polishing pad.

6 Inch Buff & Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads

13. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, Kamakaz1961, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you’d suggest the Flex over the Rupes. I was looking at both and thinking they were kind of the two top dogs at the moment.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast