autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Polisher for weekend warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post

So you’d suggest the Flex over the Rupes. I was looking at both and thinking they were kind of the two top dogs at the moment.

I recommended a very specific type of FLEX.

The counterpart to it in the RUPES line would be the Mille.

To date, I prefer buffing with 8mm versus 5mm. Just a personal preference, I'm not a "fanboy" type of person.

2. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...that answers a question for me then between the two. The Beast must have the larger throw. Haven’t had time to research them yet, but I did briefly look at the polisher page and seen that the Rupes turns clockwise.

Had a chance to use Mike’s Beast in person several years ago at a detail event in Evansville, Indiana. The counterclockwise turning didn’t seem to bother me at past about the first 5 seconds. Seems easy enough to get used to. Only thing that concerns me would be I that I heard the Beast will be discontinued. The video I heard that in said “in two years”, but I wasn’t able to put that into context because I forgot to look and see when the video was made. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any Beast’s being returned/repaired though I’m sure there’s been a few. Seems like a tool that would work and last for a weekend warrior.

I should have bought and owned two of them by now, just never pulled the trigger. Very nice machine I thought. You can feel the power, for sure.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation would be the Griots lineup of polishers. Excellent quality tool with lifetime guarantee.

My old GG3 started having major deflection in the bearing of the spindle. It would wobble so bad I was afraid the bp/pad would shear off during a detail and damage a customers vehicle. Reached out to Griots and sent in my old machine (10 years old or so) and the current G8 was sent back to me.

5. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The "feel" of the MT300 is quite nice for me. I'm a short dude at 5'6" - and it feels light, and nimble.

HOWEVER, After having a taste for direct drive (Flex 3401) back before the Mille was introduced, I PREFER the NO STALLING feature, ergonomics (for me) be damned. I've learned to hold the tool in a way that is comfortable to hold for extended periods.

Love the tool so much, I have TWO of them. And one has been customized. Ohhhhhh yeaaaaah

Preference is a big thing. I've tried (and own) several types and brands. 15mm, porter cable, Rupes, Flex, 21mm...etc. For me, the Flex 3401 just does it when I'm "working" - if I have time to leisure around and just chill with the detailing, I may bring out a different tool.

Post Thanks / Like

So the Flex you recommended is forced rotation if I understand correctly. Is that part of the reason for the recommendation?

Also, can’t seem to find if the G9 is forced also. Since it doesn’t say, I’m assuming it isn’t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    So the Flex you recommended is forced rotation if I understand correctly. Is that part of the reason for the recommendation?

Also, can’t seem to find if the G9 is forced also. Since it doesn’t say, I’m assuming it isn’t.
    No, the G9 is not a forced rotation.

I would personally recommend it though. If you are anything like the rest of us on here that takes care of just our own vehicles, you will never have any serious correction to do since you will only be using the best washing/drying practices, etc.

The G9 is way more than capable of tackling anything a hobbyist will ask of it. And, the machine is 100% guaranteed for life. No questions asked.

That said, if you have the cash and want the most powerful machine on the market, then it would be a FLEX. Hands down.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a G9 that I upgraded to over an old Porter Cable style polisher. While it's not a forced rotation polisher, it has TONS of torque and will keep the pad spinning in most situations. And it's such an affordable and bulletproof entry into these types of tools that it's almost a no-brainer to get one. I switched mine over to a 5" backing plate because all the pads I own are 5" but I might try it with the 6" plate soon because it's so powerful. I can definitely recommend this tool!

That being said, I've been drooling over the CBEAST (aka the Flex XCE 8-125) for a while now and it's probably something I'll get myself into in time. Forced rotation will have the advantage especially doing edge work and being able to polish at different angles that will make even the most powerful free spinning DA stall.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I don't have one, I'd also recommend the G9. I recommended this polisher to a friend of mine a month or so ago and he loves it.

My personal free-spinning polisher is a MT300. But if I were buying one today it would be the G9. I have two other Griot's polishers, a G8 and a GR3, and have no complaints with either. I'm sure the G9 would be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    My recommendation would be the Griots lineup of polishers. Excellent quality tool with lifetime guarantee.

to the OP: delegate your PC to the smaller pad set-up (3"- 4" pads), and pick up a G9 (as mentioned by many already) or a G15 if you would like a long throw polisher with a little more versatility...

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher
    Griot's Garage 5 Inch Vented Backing Plate

Griots Garage BOSS G15 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post

My old GG3 started having major deflection in the bearing of the spindle. It would wobble so bad I was afraid the bp/pad would shear off during a detail and damage a customers vehicle. Reached out to Griots and sent in my old machine (10 years old or so) and the current G8 was sent back to me.
    I thought the same with my GG3. It wasn't the bearing, but the housing part that holds it. See the pic.

I called Griot's as well, but in my case, I think they wanted my old tool plus some money on top. I declined the offer and instead saved a little more and got the PXE.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14. Likes dcjredline liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast