autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher for weekend warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Texchappy View Post
    I assume there’s a reason that @MikePhillips recommended the G9 over the G15.
    Probably only because if one person wants a single machine, it shouldn’t be a long throw. But if you have plans to also buy a 3” polisher, then it would be a great pair to have the G8 and a G15 instead of a G9. If getting just one machine, I’d go for the G9 with a 5” backing plate.
    Bruno Soares

2. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Probably only because if one person wants a single machine, it shouldn’t be a long throw. But if you have plans to also buy a 3” polisher, then it would be a great pair to have the G8 and a G15 instead of a G9. If getting just one machine, I’d go for the G9 with a 5” backing plate.
    I have a 3” backing plate on the PC as it sits. And I’m not above buying another machine in future. I’ve been eyeing the little Rupes Nano or copy for the little tight bits on my MINI. If that’s the only reason then I’ll take a look at the long throw machine.

4. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a beginner, a smaller throw machine is easier to work with and runs cooler. The longer throw machines pull and jerk a bit and the pads can overheat. The longer throw machines do correct better though. The G9 is probably the best beginner choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Started a thread in Autogeek101 about the first correction of the year - my wife’s Tuxedo black Navigator. I’ll use the PC unless I order soon. BTW, it is a 7424; i loooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Reached out to Griot’s to see what they say about which one they’d recommend but haven’t heard back. How many days does it usually take them to answer an email?

Some things I’ve read about Rupes that sounds good to me: they are often described as smooth and don’t really need a lot of downward pressure. With neuropathy and being strength compromised, that might be a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Reached out to Griot’s to see what they say about which one they’d recommend but haven’t heard back. How many days does it usually take them to answer an email?

Some things I’ve read about Rupes that sounds good to me: they are often described as smooth and don’t really need a lot of downward pressure. With neuropathy and being strength compromised, that might be a bonus.

Long throw machines are more technique dependent to get around curves without stalling. I like using gear driven DA for the heavy lifting and finish down with a long throw. The pressure I use for the gear driven machine is generally equivalent to a firm handshake. Heavy pressure comes in to play only when dealing with heavy defects.

The G9 is a nice compromise since it has the power and pad stall is at a minimal plus it doesnt require you alter your current buffing style coming from a Porta Cable.

9. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but you could try calling them

11. Thanks Texchappy thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Not sure but you could try calling them
    ^^^This^^^

GG customer service is top-notch.

Just like any big company, they get thousands of emails. But a call is immediate, and they are very customer friendly on the phone.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Texchappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m 98% sure I’m going with the G9. Two hesitations...

1) Do I really need a new polisher? The PC works pretty well but efficiency is a big deal with me; I have so little energy.

B) The whole Rupes smoothness thing.

Post Thanks / Like

1) You don't need a G9 to replace a PC. You gain some more power and better ergonomics but I don't think it will make you a lot more efficient. It's still a short throw free spinning tool. If you want more efficiency/speed you need forced rotation like a Flex Supa BEAST or the Rupes Mille.

2) Rupes makes great tools. But they don't have the Griot's warranty and to me that means everything. Since I don't use my polisher all the time, I want to have a machine that will be fixed if it fails in a few years. If I bought a Rupes and it failed after 18 months, for example, and I only got to use it 2 or 3 times, I'd have to pay for service. To me, if you believe you make the best polisher, you stand behind it and provide better warranty. Maybe limit warranty to professionals that beat their tools to a year but for the hobbyist that only does a car or two per year, the warranty should be several years (or like GG, make it lifetime).
    Bruno Soares

16. Thanks Texchappy, PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes Texchappy, PaulMys liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast