autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Thank you Dr. COLORCHIP! - The Dr. ColorChip Commercial System

Thank you Dr. COLORCHIP! - The Dr. ColorChip Commercial System

Just a shout-out to Dan, Tony, Joe and the rest of your team for providing me with your Dr. ColorChip Commercial System. It's a real honor to be given such a valuable set of tools. I promise to do my best to show the correct techniques to make professional, permanent repairs using this complete professional grade system.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank you Dr. COLORCHIP!

How do I become and authorized service center and applicator?

I am curious and have been for a while... How do you become an IDA Certified trainer like yourself Mr. Phillips?

3. Thanks Que4life96 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A professional product that's simple enough for an amateur to achieve fantastic results. Just order the paint code exactly match your car!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah stuffs dummy proof almost. Chips were instantly colored in to a perfect match. Took a while for me to figure out road rash method.

Only minor complaint is although 95% of people will now never notice.... you can see the “edges” of the filled chip.

But not wanting to fill with touch up paint and sand down or having a-lot of chips to repair... can’t recommend this enough.

Will be using for my 3rd and forth time this spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post

I don't have the answer to the above question. I would recommend contacting Dr. ColorChip.

I am curious and have been for a while...

How do you become an IDA Certified trainer like yourself Mr. Phillips?

I get this question a lot. I also get asked to right official "Letters of Recommendation" for individuals that want to become what the IDA calls a,

Recognized Trainer

And here's the deal. You have to be a person that has a history of teaching FORMAL detailing classes. You have to be able to prove it and document it.

I can prove and document that I'm a real car detailing trainer simply by the VOLUME of classes I've taught and photo documented since 2002. That's 19 years. There's only a few guys that I know that have been doing this as long or longer and the sad part for them is there is very little photo documentation of their history.

That's why I'm so glad 20 years ago I taught myself how to work with pictures on this thing we call the INTERNET. Most detailers and also detail instructors - they can't do this. Sure a monkey can use their thumb to put a picture on Facebook or Instagram but I'm talking about knowing HTML and BB Code. It actually takes some brains to do what I do. And it's not even than hard. But a person has to CARE.

I'm in this for the long run, been typing this for 20 years. So I can't count on other people to do my work for me, thus the reason you see write-ups like this,

Pictures: February 2020 - 100% Hands-On Detailing Classes

Notice - NO CHAIRS

That is one of THOUSANDS of pictures showing people NOT sitting in chairs - but working or TRAINING on cars. What I see now day is a lot of people starting to copy what I do - that is - promote their classes are HANDS-ON. God Bless them.

If I were you, I would focus first on becoming an IDA Certified Detailer and then a Skill Validated Detailer and unless you plan on opening a shop that offers training - don't worry about becoming a Recognized Trainer. While it's super nice to do this for others - I have to tell you, it's a lot of work and also responsibility.

I take a few moments to share something,

About a year ago, I STOPPED giving the Skills Validation test UNLESS the person taking the test had taken one of my hands-on classes.

Why?

Because then I KNEW they know what they are doing.

The problem I've encountered is TOO MANY people that call themselves a professional detailer got their training from YouTube. Then when they show up to take the Skills Validation Test, (takes about 2 hours to show you know what you're doing), most of them don't know what they are doing. They THINK they know what they are doing but they simply don't know.

And here's the other deal, through the course of the 2 hours that I test them - without exception - they almost all say the same thing,

I need to find a way to detail cars faster

I hear the same thing over and over again. They struggle with detailing a car from start to finish in an acceptable time frame so they are actually making some money. And when I ask them what they use for their primary tool? It's almost always a free spinning random orbital polisher.

Go figure.

Hope that helps...

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess talk to Tony at Dr Colorchip. He talked about the commercial system on a live detailing class:
    How to fix rock chips without having to repaint your car - YouTube

9. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used DrColorChip for several years now on my Mach 1. I really like their process, but more importantly, how well the paint I received each time matched my cars paint very well.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I don't have the answer to the above question. I would recommend contacting Dr. ColorChip.
    Hey no problamo! I'll probably purchase one of their kits and gain some experience with it before contacting them!

I get this question a lot. I also get asked to right official "Letters of Recommendation" for individuals that want to become what the IDA calls a,

Recognized Trainer

And here's the deal. You have to be a person that has a history of teaching FORMAL detailing classes. You have to be able to prove it and document it.

I can prove and document that I'm a real car detailing trainer simply by the VOLUME of classes I've taught and photo documented since 2002. That's 19 years. There's only a few guys that I know that have been doing this as long or longer and the sad part for them is there is very little photo documentation of their history.

That's why I'm so glad 20 years ago I taught myself how to work with pictures on this thing we call the INTERNET. Most detailers and also detail instructors - they can't do this. Sure a monkey can use their thumb to put a picture on Facebook or Instagram but I'm talking about knowing HTML and BB Code. It actually takes some brains to do what I do. And it's not even than hard. But a person has to CARE.

I'm in this for the long run, been typing this for 20 years. So I can't count on other people to do my work for me, thus the reason you see write-ups like this,

Pictures: February 2020 - 100% Hands-On Detailing Classes

Notice - NO CHAIRS

That is one of THOUSANDS of pictures showing people NOT sitting in chairs - but working or TRAINING on cars. What I see now day is a lot of people starting to copy what I do - that is - promote their classes are HANDS-ON. God Bless them.

If I were you, I would focus first on becoming an IDA Certified Detailer and then a Skill Validated Detailer and unless you plan on opening a shop that offers training - don't worry about becoming a Recognized Trainer. While it's super nice to do this for others - I have to tell you, it's a lot of work and also responsibility.
    I will definitely focus on becoming IDA Certified and SV as my primary targets for now.

The main reason I was thinking I could be a certified trainer one day is so that I could train and certify my employees whenever I get some.

I hear the same thing over and over again. They struggle with detailing a car from start to finish in an acceptable time frame so they are actually making some money. And when I ask them what they use for their primary tool? It's almost always a free spinning random orbital polisher.

Go figure.

Hope that helps...

I'm one of those guys you'd hear that from. I use the FLEX BEAST now though thanks to yourself and the forum! I'm still slow. It took me 3 days to get a one step correction and ceramic coating done on a Volvo a few weekends ago. Friday was wash and prep including taping off the car, Saturday was the polishing step, and Sunday I came back and installed the coating after performing a secondary panel wipe on the car.

I'll get faster as I get more experience. I follow the steps I've learned from your books, the forum, and your live detailing classes and YouTube videos.

These tips did indeed help! Thank you!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I've used DrColorChip for several years now on my Mach 1.

I really like their process, but more importantly, how well the paint I received each time matched my cars paint very well.

All the folks at Dr. ColorChip are top notch people and they put at top shelf products.

13. Likes Azure liked this post