autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Coatings too soon

I recently put a significant amount of effort into coating my new wheels using CarPro DLUX, however in fear of letting it sit to long I now think I removed it too soon. There's a lot of info out there about leaving coatings too long, but not much on removing too soon.

It was 21 Celsius (70 Fahrenheit) and around 40% humidity during application. I removed the coating after 90 seconds which I'm now thinking should have been closer to 4-5min.

It wasn't grabby on removal. Did I just waste my time?

Appreciate any input.

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing Coatings too soon

Quote Originally Posted by AuZZZie View Post

I recently put a significant amount of effort into coating my new wheels using CarPro DLUX, however in fear of letting it sit to long I now think I removed it too soon. There's a lot of info out there about leaving coatings too long, but not much on removing too soon.

It was 21 Celsius (70 Fahrenheit) and around 40% humidity during application. I removed the coating after 90 seconds which I'm now thinking should have been closer to 4-5min.

It wasn't grabby on removal. Did I just waste my time?

Appreciate any input.

I'd say no.

A coating from an reputable, established brand is formulated to bond instantly to the surface it is designed for. 90 seconds is plenty good.

Heck, for most coatings I've installed - I'm at 30 seconds to 45 seconds. A minute at the most.

The last thing I want to deal with is a coating that is curing and becoming sticky to wipe-off. When this happens - it's a pain in the rear.

3. Thanks AuZZZie, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're fine. If you wait too long Dlux gets very sticky and difficult to level. Like Mike said, the bond happens in a few seconds, the time we wait is to make our job easier by avoiding smearing (too soon) or grabbing (too late).

When I did CQ UK3.0 last year it was taking its time to flash and that allowed me to work an entire large panel or two smaller panels at a time, makes it very easy not having to do small sections due to it flashing fast - I had that happen when coating in the humid summer.
    Bruno Soares

5. Thanks AuZZZie thanked for this post
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect, thanks gents. Given there's no exact science to flash time and removal time, the perfectionist in me was likely over thinking it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Like Mike said, the bond happens in a few seconds, the time we wait is to make our job easier by avoiding smearing (too soon) or grabbing (too late).
    The smearing is what I look for. Some times the flashing may not be visible (paint color is a big factor) or like Bruno mentioned, flashing is going really slowly. After letting an area sit for around a minute I'll cautiously start to remove it. If I don't see any smearing I'll speed up and remove it normally, but still keep an eye out for any smearing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

8. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always apply a second coat. It’s fine either way.