autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an easy way to treat inner plastic fenders on trucks

Hi All,

So today I didn't have much time but I couldn't stand the way my fender wells looked after the winter so I got out some tire black and a sponge and went about coating the plastic fender wells. What a PITA and knees.

Is there a spray on product that I can spray and let dry and requires less kneeling and physical contortions than something that has to be hand applied?

Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there an easy way to treat inner plastic fenders on trucks

Hi. Maybe try Bare Bones or Stoner Spray

They aren't fun either way. Lol

Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray 128 oz. Refill

Stoner Trim Shine: Instant shine spray to enhance rubber and plastic trim!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys Bare Bones is on the top of my list for plastic fender wells. It sprays on well and the smell is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical guys Bare Bones !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing works well and you can dilute the shine as needed. Great engine and tire dressing as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing works well and you can dilute the shine as needed. Great engine and tire dressing as well.
    THIS! Dilute 4:1 and spray. Walk away. Do not wipe. It will dry to a streak free finish.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

This is great, this has been on my list to do now for about a month or so, think I’ll give this a try this weekend.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dilute 4:1 and spray. Walk away. Do not wipe. It will dry to a streak free finish.
    Megs Hyper Dressing for me too. Use it this same way after every wash. At 4:1 you get alot for your money

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by billenh View Post

Hi All,

So today I didn't have much time but I couldn't stand the way my fender wells looked after the winter so I got out some tire black and a sponge and went about coating the plastic fender wells. What a PITA and knees.

Is there a spray on product that I can spray and let dry and requires less kneeling and physical contortions than something that has to be hand applied?

Thanks
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late reply, been busy creating new content - kind of kills my forum typing time.

As others have suggested, some of the spray on plastic trim shine products make it fast and easy to coat over the inner plastic fender liners.

The only thing I don't like about these is most, if not all of them, tend to be oily and sticky if they don't dry or you apply to much. This accelerates the problem of dirty inner fender wells because now dirt and road grime are more apt to stick to these surfaces and build-up. And my guess is - the aerosol versions are NOT water-soluble - thus they will be more difficult to wash-off in the future.

The Meguiar's Hyper Dressing IS water soluble but it doesn't come in an aerosol version so it will take a little more effort to get into the inside of a fender well. Because it's water soluble - it WILL be easier to wash off, along with future dirt and road grime.

Me?

I like things to be EASILY repeatable.

In this context - this means using water soluble products. I know these areas will get dirty as soon as you drive the truck, (or a car or suv), thus I'm going to need to clean these areas again in the future.

In this context - the word clean means remove.

If a product is not water soluble it's not going to be easy to remove and it's also going to be messy. So back to what I typed above,

I like things to be EASILY repeatable.

A water based product is going to be easy to wash off and along with it all the dirt and road grime and it will be a LOT less messy to repeat this over and over again.

Another option would be to look into cleaning these plastic liners really well and then painting them with a high gloss enamel spray paint. Then in the future, when they get dirty you can treat like normal car paint to clean them.

AND - if they suffer damage, like chips from rocks flinging off tires - it will be fast, simple and easy to re-spray them after a normal thorough wash job.

That's my take.

This is why I so love OLD trucks. The inner fender wells are steel and PAINTED. You can actually use any simple AIO on them to clean them and make them shiny. And then in the future it's easy to repeat this process.

But I get it that the majority of us - me included - are stuck with new vehicles and all the progress that comes with them. Cities and states tend to be moving in the green direction of banning gas stations and next banning gas powered cars. More companies are making electric cars. Maybe as we move into this future they can come up with easy to take care of inner fender liners.

Here's the future - wonder what the inner fender liners look like?

Hope I was able to helps a little...

10. Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any suggestions as to what specific high gloss paint to use to paint the wheel wells with?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast