autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Destroyed the fake leather of my steering wheel - Need help on what to do

Hello all

I was cleaning my windshield with alcohol (70%), when I saw a spot on my steering wheel and tried to clean... with the alcohol. My good sense failed and my microfiber cloth came out with a black color from the wheel. Now the fake leather has a faded and very dull color that didn’t came back with a leather conditioner.

Question is if there’s anyway to recover it, or only by changing the leather/steering wheel? Any tips or suggestions of what should I do with it to recover it?

Thanks for the help

Destroyed the fake leather of my steering wheel - Need help on what to do-75170f8c-110d-4394-bcde-09f690e90382-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Destroyed the fake leather of my steering wheel - Need help on what to do-964009c7-a926-4267-9187-a27f66a2c0ab-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Destroyed the fake leather of my steering wheel - Need help on what to do

You can re-paint it.

Clean it with a Plastic & Leather prep ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2RKCGLZP&psc=1).

Heat the wheel with a heat gun and press a matching texture pad ( Pre-made Graining Pad - GP-1 - Superior Restoration ) against the wheel to add texture back to the spot.

Clean the area again then spray or dye the wheel with a matching vinyl and leather paint or dye.

or......

just buy a steering wheel cover and wrap it.

3. Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the dangers of using window cleaner, and spraying it directly on the glass. Some will spot the dash/vinyl. Spray directly on a MF then onto the inside windshield. Or just get a ZAP CLOTH.

Wolfstein’s Zap Cloth (autogeek.net)

Onto the damage. I agree with the above post. Or maybe find a mobile leather/vinyl repair outfit in your area.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! =D

Post Thanks / Like

Sucks but it seems minor compared to the picture's I'll post shorty of my "new" to me rides steering wheel.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 72784

Mike Phillips

Sorry, just now getting to this - a tick busy last week.

Quote Originally Posted by spielwurfel View Post

Hello all

I was cleaning my windshield with alcohol (70%), when I saw a spot on my steering wheel and tried to clean... with the alcohol. My good sense failed and my microfiber cloth came out with a black color from the wheel. Now the fake leather has a faded and very dull color that didn’t came back with a leather conditioner.

Question is if there’s anyway to recover it, or only by changing the leather/steering wheel? Any tips or suggestions of what should I do with it to recover it?

Thanks for the help
    Here's picture,

Here's the deal, you can make this as complicated as you want or as simple as you want.

Me?

I'd apply and work in a quality leather balm or leather conditioner and call it good. Whatever I get is what I get. This is the "make it simple" approach.

If this doesn't make it look "acceptable" for you then go the complicated route. Take it to the dealership and see what it will cost to replace the steering wheel. If you go this route - NEVER use straight IPA as a cleaner again.

Post Thanks / Like

You may be really surprised by how nice it will look after hitting it with a good leather conditioner. I've had a couple steering wheels which looked really rough and after going over them with a quality leather cleaner and then a good conditioner they looked nearly new. Any blemishes were really hard to see, if not totally gone.

Are you sure it's fake leather? That's a VW steering wheel isn't it? My MK6 GTI supposedly had leather interior, and while I doubt the seats had much leather in them, I'm quite certain the steering wheel, shift knob, and brake lever were wrapped in leather. It wasn't high grade Nappa leather, but it was a lower grade vinyl coated type which would respond well to leather products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

You may be really surprised by how nice it will look after hitting it with a good leather conditioner.

I agree. For issues like this with leather and even vinyl anywhere - a good conditioner or protectant - well rubbed over and into the surface has a way of visually shmooing over the material and making everything look all right.

10. Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the tips! I didn’t mention but the photos were taken after I applied a leather conditioner (not a good one though)... Let’s see if I can find a better one

Post Thanks / Like

If the leather conditioners don't work you could try painting the steering wheel with a vinyl and fabric paint. That's a more risky and difficult option and may work or may make a bigger mess of the situation.