autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Order of operations for paint correction and Doctor Colorchip?

Quote Originally Posted by undefined View Post
    Yes, those spots are near the radiator.
    I seen this before but on mostly honda cars.. I have some bad news for you.

It is the early stage of clear coat failure. It is failing from bottom up cause by the heat of the radiator. If you try to compound them out, you will see even more. The best you can do is to slow down the failure process. Install a heat sheild on the hood and glaze the heck out of the hood. An AIO with heavy fill-in capability would help as well. The specks will still be there but it wouldn't be as noticeable.

2. Thanks undefined thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

This will be my first time trying to detail a vehicle properly. The vehicle is a daily driver, and I'm not looking for perfection or show room results, I'm looking to simply clean it, address any existing problems, and protect the paint from damage. I ordered all of the equipment and consumables from AG earlier this week to do paint correction and the Doctor Colorchip kit to address road rash and rock chips in my wife's LX570.

What I am unsure about is the correct order of operations to achieve the best results.

Option 2 matches what the videos in the Doctor Colorchip review thread say to do (use DCC after paint correction),

Sorry for the late reply, I've been a tick busy....

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

My experience is this,

First - LOWER your expectations for results that will look like nothing ever happened. Results that look like nothing ever happened is call a new paint job. Problem with a new paint job is sooner or later you get teh rock chips again, now you're in a Catch-22 situation. Avoid the Catch-22 scenario and start by lowering your expectations. Then do your best work and move on with life.

Second - in my how-to article for this topic - I state to do the touch-up work after all the paint correction and even the "sealing" step, whatever you're going to use to seal the paint. I.E. wax, sealant or coating.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

In the first post...

Question

Do I do the rock chip repair first or do the paint correction, polishing and waxing first?

Answer

Probably the most common question I get about doing rock chip repair goes like this,

My car has rock chips and there's also swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation in the paint. Should I polish the paint before using the Dr. ColorChip Rock Chip Repair Kit or after I fix the rock chips?

The answer is, for most people you'll be better off to polish the paint first.

Mike Phillips

but won't all the rubbing done with SealAct cause marks that require polishing to remove?
    The SealAct is a liquid - this makes it a lubricant. The wiping cloth is soft.

It's up to you to wipe gently. Not like a caveman.

Here's the coolest thing about the Dr. ColorChip system. IF you don't like the repair - simply remove it with the SealAct. Repeat until you get it right and you're happy. Once you're done - it's a permanent repair.

DOWN THE ROAD

After you've let the touch-up paint fully dry and harden - say a few weeks, maybe a month depending upon where you live and the temperatures - then LIGHTLY polish the area and seal or re-seal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12