autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion for new car

I bought a new car, Audi Q7 in Samurai Metallic Gray, and want to put a DIY ceramic coating on it before I start driving it. The finish has no swirl marks but there are 4 or 5 long straight scratches right next to each other on the hood, and a quarter sized blemish further down the hood. Neither of these can be seen unless looking at the right angle and they don't catch my nail. There are maybe 3 or 4 other scratches on the car and several small dots I can feel and see when running my finger over the surfaces in a plastic bag, but overall the paint is in great condition.

My thought was to wash the car thoroughly, clay it using a fine grade Nanoskin sponge with lots of detail spray, wipe down using xx = not sure, then polish with my PC7424 and Menzerna SFP-3800 with a black (or blue) CCS pad. Clean before ceramic coat with xx = not sure. Please fill in the blank for cleaning after clay and cleaning after polish, before ceramic coat.

Most importantly I'd like to know if this is a solid approach or if you'd recommend something different / product too? Please don't hold back as I want to do this right.

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestion for new car

Clay only if the car doesn't pass the baggie test and even with that I would attempt chemical decontamination first before resorting to it. You don't want more scratches.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

What coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think a CCS blue pad will get the scratches out and maybe not the black pad either. But since you’re only talking a few defects, I’d probably try getting those with a microfiber applicator by hand. This way you can just focus on the few areas with scratches and defects and leave the rest of your paint alone. Everything else looks good except you’d want to clean after polishing with a prep spray such as Blackfire Paint Prep, Carpro Eraser, or Gyeon Prep. Oh, and probably do a complete wash after claying and before polishing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Armor Shield IX, although I haven't bought it yet

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about using a coating from an established brand.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like

CQuartz UK 3.0 is popular. Blackfire Ceramic Coating is as well. There are so many full ceramic coatings to choose from. CQuartz Lite, Gyeon CanCoat, or Pinnacle Diamond Paint Coating are light coatings that should last a year with an SiO2 topper/drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB56 View Post
    what do you recommend?
    Depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to get into a full blown coating or a coating lite.

From a coating lite perspective Gyeon CanCoat or Cquartz Lite. Lite has the edge on durability. I have IGL Ecocoat but don't have longevity updates other than ease of use. But it is a 1 year coating like the others.

From a full blown coating Cquartz UK 3.0 gets my recommendation. I did like Cquartz TiO2 and just from a sample size area of applying their new SiC coating I can say it is going to be good. The popular combo is UK topped with SiC.

Post Thanks / Like

This was kind of mentioned in dgage's post but I'll repeat it anyways as this was my first thought...

If you only have a few real defects and they are somewhat isolated like you describe, I would hit those areas first with whatever it takes to remove them. Once those are removed to your satisfaction then proceed with your overall polishing and prep for the coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast