autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating: 1 Coat or 2 ?

Mr. Phillips, I read your excellent review of the new 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating in the Product Reviews section. I asked this question there a couple of weeks ago but have not seen an answer with real world experience.

Is this product one that benefits from letting the first coat cure for a day, and then receiving a second coat ?

I have used the Meguiars Ceramic and the Turtle Wax Ceramic spray coatings on my vehicles, both with 2 coats and have been generally pleased with the results. I have a new car on order and am thinking that the graphene treatment might be a good way to go on that vehicle as soon as I take delivery. It will be British Racing Green metallic, a fair weather, weekend only car that will be garaged. I live in a somewhat dusty town so if one type of coating has better (or any) dust repellent properties I will go with that formula.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating: 1 Coat or 2 ?

The reason most manufacturers will suggest a second coat, is to sell more product obviously, but also to coat any areas that you may have missed on the first coat. I’ve done part of my car with two coats of 303 graphene, and other parts with just one coat, so far the results are identical in terms of beading capability, and hydrophobic properties to shed dirt.
    Glen -

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DwightFrye View Post

Mr. Phillips, I read your excellent review of the new 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating in the Product Reviews section. I asked this question there a couple of weeks ago but have not seen an answer with real world experience.
    Apologies for any delay, I've been a tick busy....

There was this,

Pictures and Comments: 2021 February 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Followed by this,

Pictures: 2021 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

And a ton of set-up before both classes and clean-up after both classes. Heck I'm still not done cleaning the garage after the boat class last weekend.

Is this product one that benefits from letting the first coat cure for a day, and then receiving a second coat ?
    The chemist that created this formula says "yes".

Me?

I do a GREAT job of applying one coat and move on...

Enjoy the car. Enjoy life and at some point, if you want the paint on this cool car to,

Look like it was just waxed

Then just wax it.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like two coats of most LSPs, particularly spray waxes because:
    1) they are quick/easy to apply
    2) it’s less apparent where you may have missed a spot (particularly if you buff as you move on from each area) compared to a traditional sealant or wax that hazes
    3) I sometimes get identical results between one and two coats, but I also sometimes see better gloss, better beating, and/or better longevity with two coats. So I tend to lean towards ‘sometimes + sometimes’ = ‘almost always’ getting great results with spray waxes.
    4) I tend to do a lot of detailing at night in my garage where it’s harder to see under artificial light, and some spaces are tight. So two coats has become a human error preventative maintenance tactic under these circumstances.

Note, although I do two coats on my initial LSPs or heavy toppers that I expect to be doing heavy protection duties, I also regularly apply maintenance toppers with one coat. These aren’t called upon to save my car’s paint as much as make it look nice, regain self-cleaning, or act as a light barrier to my main protection.

5. Likes KBsToy, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I asked that same question on a YouTube video produced by 303. The answer is yes you can apply a second coat but recommended waiting 24-hours between coats. They were not expecting that second coat to alter the long term life

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating: FAQs Answered - YouTube

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

To get the best adhesion of the 303 Graphene on a new car's paint, after claying the paint surface it it advisable to wash the car again using Dawn DW soap to remove any traces of the clay and the lubricant used ?

Post Thanks / Like

You really need to polish the car after Claying, you will have areas of the surface that will show spots.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

To get the best adhesion of the 303 Graphene on a new car's paint, after claying the paint surface it it advisable to wash the car again using Dawn DW soap to remove any traces of the clay and the lubricant used ?
    I agree.... polish first.... no dawn.... after polish maybe use something like this. I use it often after polishing. Especially before 'coatings'....

Optimum Paint Prep

Good luck 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating: 1 Coat or 2 ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I must say I’m very impressed so far with 303 Graphene water shedding abilities, two of the last three days it has rained and this is all I have to show for it!!!

I applied WGDGPS a few weeks ago and followed up with a single coat of 303 Graphene about a week later!

As for shine, very good and it did seem like it made the black paint a little deeper in color.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline