autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather care - conditioner, sealant, coating or water?

Question is more about care of the the very popular coated leathers in today's cars. I know leather care is a topic with those who say just keep it clean (100% agree) and add nothing. And I also know it can be another detailing rabbit hole. But for those who want to do more, do you find a coating (Gyeon, Car Pro, etc) is preferable to a more traditional good interior detailer or a more leather specific product like from Colourlock?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather care - conditioner, sealant, coating or water?

Use a multi surface protectant like poor boys natural look, great stuff…
    Glen -

3. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a lot of conflicting information out there about standard coated “leather” in most cars. Some say it can’t take moisture so conditioner doesn’t do anything. They use the fact that water sits on the coated leather surface. Yet some leather in the same class of car holds up better and some cracks pretty bad. Is that relayed to how it is cleaned or detailed or a remnant of environment such as sun/uv exposure?

Although some say a Woollite solution works well cleaning leather, I ordered Connolly Hide Cleaner and have already used it and it did well. I wanted something to protect the leather and I ended up with the Leather Doctor products but it wasn’t anything I read on AutogeekOnline or Autopia or similar though there were some positive comments on Leather Doctor as there were Leather Masters, Sonax Leather Conditioner, and many others. I haven’t received the products yet as I just ordered within the last week. However, what pushed me to order that particular product was what I read on the Leather Doctors forum for caring for car leather as well as some of the repairs. So I’d recommend you reading the Leather Doctors forum and see what you think for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

For general maintenance and such of modern or other leathers, I use Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Agreed upon by leather care pros world wide, leather requires both cleaning and conditioning to keep it because it's pretty much an AIO for leather. I use it regularly and it does make a difference to the leather in modern vehicles. It adds a softness and flexibility to it. I wouldn't use it for neglected leather, but 90% of the time this stuff does the trick in my experience.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

6. Thanks Thomkirby, bob m thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good question... and I think no real answer... but rather a zillion opinions.

That said, I don't really see the benefit of a traditional leather conditioner as the coated leather prevents its absorption.

Leather coatings - can't say.

Keeping it clean - always a good idea. But now, what is the best cleaner?

Yep... You're going down the proverbial rabbit hole alright.

8. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Colourlock is good stuff. Their basic recommendation is leather 3 years or older go with their protector. Can be topped with shield the following day to add abrasion resistance and dye transfer protection. Less than 3 years go with shield.

10. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I think there is a lot of conflicting information out there about standard coated “leather” in most cars. Some say it can’t take moisture so conditioner doesn’t do anything. They use the fact that water sits on the coated leather surface. Yet some leather in the same class of car holds up better and some cracks pretty bad. Is that relayed to how it is cleaned or detailed or a remnant of environment such as sun/uv exposure?

Although some say a Woollite solution works well cleaning leather, I ordered Connolly Hide Cleaner and have already used it and it did well. I wanted something to protect the leather and I ended up with the Leather Doctor products but it wasn’t anything I read on AutogeekOnline or Autopia or similar though there were some positive comments on Leather Doctor as there were Leather Masters, Sonax Leather Conditioner, and many others. I haven’t received the products yet as I just ordered within the last week. However, what pushed me to order that particular product was what I read on the Leather Doctors forum for caring for car leather as well as some of the repairs. So I’d recommend you reading the Leather Doctors forum and see what you think for yourself.
    Yep, I'm reading up on a few of the products - no urgency as my car is only a few months old and have already applied a product - Nextzett Leather Care soon after I bought my car. Very nice product and if suddenly there were no other leather cleaning/conditioning products available in the entire world, I would certainly be more than satisfied with using it, but that lavender smell -phew! Good news it goes away in a 1/2 hour. But I am looking for something else/better - aren't we all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I thought saddle soap was way too alkaline for auto leather?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    I thought saddle soap was way too alkaline for auto leather?
    Guess so, pH of 9-10.

Never hurt the leather in any of my dad's Caddys or Olds98's ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast