autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member Dockside Ready Boat Detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Expel or 3m Protection PPF

Hi Mike,
    Do you any info or experience on PPF ? I know of a 3m and Expel film brand.
    is it worth doing it? Does it have to be replaced? Does the film break down?
    Thank you in advance,
    Heidi

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expel or 3m Protection PPF

XPEL is the better film. It doesn’t yellow as much as the 3M will over time. applied correctly, XPEL will last years.....
    Glen -

3. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dockside Ready Boat Detailing View Post
    Hi Mike,
    is it worth doing it? Does it have to be replaced? Does the film break down?
    Thank you in advance,
    Heidi
    "Buy the installer", not the film they use. Quality installers use quality products they've had a proven history with.

Installation skill and methods are the keys to PPF happiness methinks. I knew *who* was doing our PPF before i knew *what* they were using.

5. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•After having used their paint protection films
    (and related products) for the last 14 years...
    -My allegiance to XPEL’s PPFs remains unshaken.

•Currently:
    -I consider their ’Ultimate’ PPF as top-echelon.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    "Buy the installer", not the film they use. Quality installers use quality products they've had a proven history with.

Installation skill and methods are the keys to PPF happiness methinks. I knew *who* was doing our PPF before i knew *what* they were using.
    I totally agree with this. Find a manufacturer-authorized installer near you and have that person do the installation. This insures you will get the benefit of the manufacturer warranty. I personally chose Xpel Ultimate PPF and I have been very pleased with it. I had it installed in 12-18 and the car sits outside 24/7. The film looks just as good today as the day it was installed. Xpel offers a 10-year warranty that is transferable if I decide to sell the car before the 10-year warranty expires.

BTW, AG sells lots of PPF-safe products to clean, protect, and seal your PPF.

9. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

True and true. I guess I "lucked out" as my installer Phillip at Detailer's Domain - who provides excellent detailing work, uses Expel and I just recently had him do the front end of my Mazda CX-5 and he used the Expel Ultimate. I am contemplating having him do the doors and will definitely have him apply that to pia/scratch prone piano black interior areas. I'm just glad I'm less than an hour's drive from him.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Almost just as important as the installer is whether the manufacture of the film carries and supports a “pattern“ in his inventory. Because if the film manufacturers supply a pattern is a pre-cut kit of film it doesn’t require the installer to not only be an expert at applying it, but cutting out of bulk sheets of roll tends to lead to problems. For example the Chevrolet Camaro is pretty much The hardest volume car that most installers run across to do, and the pre-cut pattern from expel is about the best fir you can get.
    Glen -

Mike Phillips

Hi Heidi,

Looks like you posted this just as I was getting off work last night,

02-16-2021, 04:54 PM

And since then, you've received some really good info.

I'll take my own stab at answering your questions.

Hi Mike,

Is it worth doing it?
    If you mean, is it profitable for you to become an installer? If you charge accordingly then yes.

If you mean is it good for the car owner? Again - yes. PPF protects the paint and is dang near invisible.

Does it have to be replaced?
    Yes. Nothing lasts for ever, not ever you or I.

How long it lasts or how long anything lasts depends on a number of factors. Probably the most crucial are,

Where the car is used or lives? Is the car parked outside in South Florida, or Arizona or New Mexico 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Or is a garage kept car in North Dakota? The sun and exposure to weather are destructive over time.

How is the car washed? Is it carefully hand washed with clean wash mitts? Or is it run through a spinning brush Swirl-O-Matic Car Wash?

I think most people willing to pay to have PPF installed on thier car are also willing to at a minimum, get a smidgen of education on how to take care of both it and their car. If not they are setting themselves up for disappointment in all kinds of areas in life.

Does the film break down?
    Yes, everything breaks down over time but don't over think it. Professionally installed PPF can last and protect for years, even up to a decade. But again - it depends on how the car and the PPF are taken care of and the environment they are exposed to.

Thank you in advance,

Heidi

Don't know if I helped much but I think you received some really good information and advice in your thread.

Good to hear from you! I hope your boat detailing business is doing great!

Newbie Member Dockside Ready Boat Detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the info everyone I appreciate it!
    The info provided was what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Careful with Xpel, they don't like to warranty anything and don't stand behind their dealers or customers. I had to take a dealer and Xpel to mediation to get help from them scratching my car, having to redo tint 3x due to incorrect install (wrinkles and junk), and putting a dent in it. I had pics of the car before and after. Xpel didn't stand anyone and bailed, so they ended up paying...
    ·Ď˘ĺrµ§·

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast