autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Residue Help!

I have a Toyota Tundra that I purchased pre-owned about 3 years ago from a dealership. The windshield has some type of residue on it that I can't clean off and it makes it very difficult to see at night when it is raining. It looks like Rain-X or something similar was used on all of the glass of the truck. It may also be wax from automatic car washes. I've tried everything I can think of to clean it off, soap & water, Stoner Invisible Glass, Wolfgang Perfekt Vision, McKee 37 glass polish, nothing would clean the window. I even tried acetone which did help some but the remaining residue has now spread back out. I also installed new wipers.

During the daytime the glass looks great, I can also see fine at night as long as it isn't raining. When it rains though, the smudge is visible in the daylight and at night it is very difficult to see through. It also makes the windshield wipers chatter/run roughly when they pass over it even when I put on new wipers.

I don't know specifically what substance caused this but any ideas on how to get the glass clean would be a huge help. Whatever is on there has not worn off in over two years.

Thank-you in advance for taking the time and I love your website and products also.

Windshield Residue Help!-windshield-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windshield Residue Help!-windshield-2-jpg   Windshield Residue Help!-windshield-3-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Residue Help!

Sounds like you might need to step up the polishing with something more aggressive than the Wolfgang or M37 polishes.

CarPro Ceriglass Kit, glass polish, water spot remover

3. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a polisher? I don’t think you’ll be able to correct the windshield by hand as it is simply too hard. Since you’ve already tried a glass polish, my next recommendation would be that polish with some rayon pads. And if that doesn’t work I’d recommend CarPro Ceriglass glass polish, which has cerium oxide, which makes it capable of correcting glass that I don’t believe McKee’s glass polish has based on a quick review.

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs
    CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Do you have a polisher? I don’t think you’ll be able to correct the windshield by hand as it is simply too hard. Since you’ve already tried a glass polish, my next recommendation would be that polish with some rayon pads. And if that doesn’t work I’d recommend CarPro Ceriglass glass polish, which has cerium oxide, which makes it capable of correcting glass that I don’t believe McKee’s glass polish has based on a quick review.

CarPro Rayon Glass Polishing Pad, glass leveling discs
    CarPro Ceriglass Glass Polish, windshield polish, water spot remover
    ^^^^It should not take too much to remove whatever film you have on your glass. Removing scratches on glass is another story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    ^^^^It should not take too much to remove whatever film you have on your glass. Removing scratches on glass is another story.
    I don’t disagree but acetone and even hand polishing SHOULD have removed a film. So if those didn’t, I think it needs a pretty good polishing with some cerium oxide. Hand polish could work for a film but machine polishing would definitely have a better chance of succeeding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    I don’t disagree but acetone and even hand polishing SHOULD have removed a film. So if those didn’t, I think it needs a pretty good polishing with some cerium oxide. Hand polish could work for a film but machine polishing would definitely have a better chance of succeeding.
    True, the only way to find out is to do a test spot, either by hand or machine. Whichever the OP chooses, he needs to use a rayon pad with Ceriglass.

8. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s my go to! Ceriglass and rayon. Make sure to tape up any adjacent trim before you start polishing.

10. Likes Rsurfer, dgage liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the answers. I do have a porter cable da polisher that I have been using with a polish pad, the ceramic polish is a good next step. I'm really confused about what this is because like you say, the previous things I tried should have worked.

It looks very similar to a Windshield on a car I had years ago that
    I ran through many automatic car washes and selected the wax option (young and didn't know better). What is confusing is that I would think by now it would have worn off or one of the methods already used would have worked.

I'll order some ceramic polish and see how that does.

Thank you again for the replies.

12. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    Don’t feel bad. I bought a new car that had mysterious ghosting on almost every window. Without using a machine polisher, it took me way too long to get rid of them. Multiple steps of whatever cleaner I could find, along with a clay bar. Even Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

No way was I going to take the car back to the dealer. I’m too stubborn for that. 🤨

Post Thanks / Like

Car Pro's Ceriglass is not a ceramic polish, its a glass polish. Ceriglass main ingredient is cerium oxide.

15. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast