autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Never see anyone discussing this line of polishes

3M
    Wonder why that is ? Am I just missing the discussions on thee polishes?
    As far as my exp. goes with the 3M company /label / brand, they always seem to be super high quality products and very well respected in every aspect of industry they supply. Now I know they seem to me to be a bit on the high side as far as $$ goes.

Has anyone used there line of polishes? If so I would sure like to hear some feedback from first hand exp.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Never see anyone discussing this line of polishes

I'm not quite sure.

Maybe their limited consumer (idiot-proof) line?

I know that 3M makes superior products, and that many body shops use them.

I'm sure other members will chime in..........

Good thread.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3M is a product that is your industry standard norm. They've been around forever but there are better products out there. Body shop guys swear by it. Detailers and custom paint guys swear by better products. Example - I custom paint helmets, etc. for customers. I was having issues with buffing out a clear coat and messages a very talented car builder I knew. He asked me what I'm using, so I sent him a pic of the product (3M compound) and pads & tools. His response "Get rid of that sh!t and buy this" with a picture of Meguiars M205 and M105. I've never looked back since.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

5. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3m products are absolutley amazing products. They are geared towards rotary use for sure.

If you are someone who cuts with a rotary and finishes with a da then the 3m cutting compound will cut better then anything you can do with a da.

Finish with a main stream finishing polish and da.

On a da the 3m products will still cut like no other, they just finish down like crap
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

7. Likes Mike Hoekstra, luckydawg liked this post
    Mike Phillips

3M makes great products.

For some reason they don't now or ever have had a strong following by the masses/enthusiasts. They OWN the body shop world.

Here's one article I wrote that talks about 3M products.

For Use with Rotary Buffer Only - Read the Directions

I wrote the above article back in 2013 and to my knowledge, 3M still does NOT make a product where they have a recommendation for using it with any type or brand of orbital polisher.

I'm not saying none of their products will work with orbital polishers I'm just saying all their products do in fact recommend using them with rotary polishers. And if you run into micro-marring issues when using 3M products with orbital polishers, simply swap out to a brand with KNOWN GOOD ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY and re-polish the area and see what happens. Make sure you use a pad that has not been used with previous product. (common sense but I have to include this)

But for the record - I've see phenomenal, show car results come from nothing but 3M abrasive technology.

Mike Phillips

Also for what it's worth....

I was still working for Meguiar's when 3M purchased Meguiar's back in October of 2008. I didn't leave Meguiar's until May of 2009.

One thing I noticed was the management system they put into place for employees was the same system Hewlett-Packard used when I worked for them. This is also the system that was shared in the movie,

Office Space

If you have ever watched Office Space, there's a side-story that takes place where the 2 Bobs are brought in to help the company downsize.

The 2 Bobs

[mg]http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/office-space-what-do-you-do-here-meme.jpg[/img]

I was working for Hewlett-Packard, the Corvallis, Oregon division when this exact thing took place. People that were not ranked from 3-5 were "tapped on the shoulder" and let go. The job ranking number system was a 1 to 5 system with 1 being the lowest rung on the ladder. I was ranked a 4. I wouldn't kiss enough butt to get ranked a 5. I actually begged my Manager to let me go as I already was quitting as I had another job. (I hated working at HP, no cars), I was told "no" because I was ranked too high.

My co-workers at Hewlett-Packard remember me as the guy that parked the 1959 Cadillac or the 1966 Milk Truck in the parking lot in a sea of new cars.

About 2 weeks after the "Tap on the shoulder" downsizing, I quit and went to work for a Pulp Mill driving a Wood Chip Scoop.

I was luck to escape California and get out of Meguair's to come to work for Autogeek. I heard just last week... a lot of people at Meguiar's were let go... downsizing. Same management system I experienced at Hewlett-Packard.

3M makes great products, but I don't ever want to work for the 3M "business model".

10. Likes PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And....

Two more articles I can think of where I discuss 3M products...

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze

3M Imperial Hand Glaze and Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze

1967 Starline Deville - Extreme Makeover

Someone asked me about the 3M Marine Line so I've taped off a section on the back of the boat to demonstrate the 3M Marine Rubbing Compound with a 8" Wool Cutting pad on the Flex Lightweight Rotary Buffer.

Note that I've removed anything off the rear deck that can be removed without too much work to enable me to do the best job of restoring this 42 year old gel-coat. Plus then I can clean up the holes a little and the thread for all the stainless steel screws and re-assemble everything nice and clean.

Started with a 3M foam polishing pad (Per Manufactures instructions)

While it was working okay the 8" size pads are just too big for the shape and design of the back upper surface of this boat. So I switched over to the 5.5 Hydro-Tech Tangerine Foam Polishing and kid you not, this is a smooth polishing combo that quickly removed all the haze and brought the gel-coat up to a very high gloss.

Next I applied the 3M Marine Liquid Wax and because I prefer to apply all my LSP's by machine I used the Griot's Garage ROP on the 3.0 speed setting with a Meguiar's W-8006 foam polishing pad.

Before

After

BEFORE

AFTER

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I worked in a body shop, 3M was all we had....along with giant pneumatic buffers and even bigger wool pads. I've not used their compounds since, but currently have their detailing clay in the cabinet.....excellent stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

When my paint guy wetsanded my car he finished with 3M Perfect it and it didn't finish down as nice as he would have liked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    When my paint guy wetsanded my car he finished with 3M Perfect it and it didn't finish down as nice as he would have liked.
    That can be said about any given compound/polish on any given paint.

That is definitely a very broad statement and the same can be said about a lot of compounds/polishes, situation dependent
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast