autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hit a deer, need some GTechniq CSL and EXO re-coat instructions post body shop!!

Unfortunately I recently hit a deer and damaged my front quarter panel and busted out the grill on my 2020 Chevy Colorado. in June I put a coat of Gtechniq crystal serum light, and 2 coats of EXO-V4. Just got it back from the body shop today (2-12-21). They told me they feathered the paint on the hood, and drivers door, along with replacing the front quarter panel on the drivers side. Also they applied new clear coat on all 3 sections. So my question is do I need to wait to recoat the 3 areas since it is new paint/clear coat? I might not have a choice for a while anyways due to the winter temps right now in Ohio, but assuming the temperature is OK to apply, do I need to wait??

Also just curious. Can I ever recoat the EXO-V4 just to maintain the hydrophobic layer, or do you just have to start all over again when the coating breaks down??

Thanks for you help
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hit a deer, need some GTechniq CSL and EXO re-coat instructions post body shop!!

Check out this thread by Mike Phillips

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hit a deer, need some GTechniq CSL and EXO re-coat instructions post body shop!!

Yes you need to wait. Especially with the cold weather. I'd give it at least 90 days in those conditions.

If you can keep it garaged (heated to near 70 F) then 30 days would likely suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to mention this. The Gtechniq reps have stated that their coatings are gas permeable. They have mentioned this on one of the recent rag company podcasts.

You will more than likely have to reapply on those areas. Take an inspection light to the entire paint and see if the body shop did anymore damage. It is known that body shops instill swirls from careless wipe downs.

You can re-coat with just Exo. You won't know when CSL is gone anyway since Exo is the topper. If you do end up polishing you will have to start over.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the info!! I really appreciate the great info. That helps me tremendously!!

6. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

The Gtechniq reps have stated that their coatings are gas permeable.

A number of brands state this about their products.

My rhetorical question is always...

What's the hurry?

As in, what's the big freakin hurry to seal fresh paint? There's not a SINGLE paint manufacturer that recommends sealing their paint until at least 30/60/90 days of air cure go by.

If you have to put your car back on the road... what's the worst that could happen to the fresh paint area? A bird dropping? Even with coated factory paint - if the bird dropping is allowed to dwell for more than 5 minutes it's going to damage factory paint so it's sure as heck going to damage fresh paint. The only stopping of uric acid damage is to get the uric acid off the car.

So for everyone that's going to read this into the future, instead of trying to SEAL the SURFACE ASAP - what is the hurry?

Give the paint 30 days to finish drying and hardening. This will allow any solvents in the clear layer of paint to fully outgas. It will also give the paint a chance to shift.

Then do what you have to do to get her back to where you want her. Or like 2black1s stated, if it's freezing outside, wait a little longer. Stuff doesn't evaporate well in freezing temperatures. Stuff means solvent in this context.

And for what it's worth - in all my life of answering this question and also working on fresh paint - I've NEVER seen paint fail when it was sealed too soon - but... what's the hurry?