autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

advice on my new coach

I posted this on the RV section, but decided that since it really isn't traditional RV paint, maybe it would be more appropriate here.

I'm looking for some professional advice on what the best product would be for my 2001 Prevost motorhome. We have recently cleaned and buffed the entire bus to remove any small scratches, but I'm really not sure what should be next. I would like to get one product line, and stick with it. I hear all sorts of things about ceramic coatings, and different waxes. I'd like something to protect it, as well as make it easy to keep clean on the road.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. The coach does spend its life in an air conditioned building, so it is only outside when we are traveling, a few weeks a year.

Mike Phillips

Re: advice on my new coach

Just saw this, sorry for the delay, was in the garage doing or normal Thursday LIVE Detailing Class.

Let me think about it... it's HUGE - so I'm thinking you want something easy. Easy to apply and easy to remove. Washes easy and hopefully no water spotting. Has to be able to reduce scratching and marring from the drying process.

How do you dry it after washing it?

I've detailed less than a dozen large "things" like this in my life, it's simply not my thing, but I not what's involved.

Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

When it comes to BIG - you definitely want to do it right the first time.

At this stage of the game - where is the finish? Just polished? No LSP?

Post Thanks / Like

I was waiting for Mike to chime in---because I've seen his work re big rigs and uses products that are easy and suitable for tasks such as this.

I see you have already buffed and removed scratches.

You've done all the hard work already. I'll go with some spray wax, sealant or a ceramic spray. With idea of getting a whole year out of the deal. Plus it's stored inside which helps extend the LSP.

Will get a list for you that I've used and like in few minutes.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Ok....

Here's a list that I have used.

Wax:

Optimum Car Wax = 5 months.

Sealant:

BlackFire Paint Sealant.
    Hand or machine apply.

BlackFire Spray Sealant.

Ceramic:

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating. (Kind of small and very expensive). Can cover everything with this. Glass/paint/chrome.

Goal here is Spray on and Wipe off. (WOWO).

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

And in closing....

Next time you break out the polisher to remove scratches, (prolly be couple years down the road), get a One Step polish.

This way, you'll be able to remove scratches and seal the paint All In One Step!

BTW---That IS one beautiful rig you got there!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Never done anything like that before but that size maybe look into griots boss system?

Works through a foam cannon and has a prep spray to remove old waxes and sealants, then a foaming wash and lastly the poly gloss protection

Griot?s Garage Foaming Poly Gloss

Also maybe a spray and rinse ceramic like meguiars ceramic wax or car pros hydro 2

Spray onto a wet car after washing and then power wash off?

Meguiar?s Hybrid Ceramic Wax

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant

Seems like an easy way to protect so much real estate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Back to it...

I've taken your post and I'm using the quote function on this forum to break it up into different aspects but I've moved the last point you've made to be first. This is a key element of your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAroundBus View Post

The coach does spend its life in an air conditioned building, so it is only outside when we are traveling, a few weeks a year.

The way this Coach is stored and used is a huge factor as to the kind or wear and tear it receives. Actually the lack of wear-n-tear.

I'm looking for some professional advice on what the best product would be for my 2001 Prevost motorhome.

We have recently cleaned and buffed the entire bus to remove any small scratches, but I'm really not sure what should be next.

Like Tom mentioned, one option would have been to use a quality one-step cleaner/wax or AIO. This would have removed the defects in the paint and left it protected in one step. BLACKFIRE One Step would have been a great choice because it works so well and just as important for a project of this size - it wipes off so easy.

You could still go down this road.

In the future, if the exterior becomes scratches, swirled or marred in any way, for example from washing and drying when on the road, the fix is simple, just re-polish with the BF One Step. No complicated process.

If you ceramic coat the Coach, then get some swirls and scratches, to fix it requires more step. With the BLACKFIRE - it's One Step.

I would like to get one product line, and stick with it. I hear all sorts of things about ceramic coatings, and different waxes. I'd like something to protect it, as well as make it easy to keep clean on the road.
    This is important - HOW do you wash and dry the Coach?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info so far, we are looking forward to getting the bus finished up soon. It is currently in our commercial bus shop for mechanical work, and while it is down I had our body guy do a light wet and, and buff on the entire bus to remove some light tree scratches from the previous owner. It will be moved back into the bus barn at my house in about 2 weeks, and we will finish up the exterior detail at that point.

At this point, the bus gets washed after each use, probably 6 or 8 times a year, typically with RO water, and a soft brush with a generic automotive wash that the guys use in our commercial bus fleet. Once we determine the best course of paint protection, I will seek advice as the best product to wash it.

I was thinking that it would be a good candidate for a ceramic coating, but possibly a good sealant reapplied yearly would be a better option?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast