autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Need helps learning to polish cars?

Need helps learning to polish cars?

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (no just one set of eyeballs)

The reality is, most people that contact me found me via an article I've written or a reply I've written on this forum.

The thing is, instead joining the forum and asking me questions here on the forum, (the way they found me), instead they send me an e-mail or a message on Facebook. I MUCH prefer people to contact me via the FORUM. Not Facebook, not Instagram, not YouTube, but right here on the forum. This is where I answer questions. I can EASILY type out information, share pictures, videos and LINKS to even more information, usually on this forum.

There are no other platforms that work as well as a forum. None. Zero. Zilch.

So I get an e-mail asking,

Hi Mike

My name is Kjell from Sweden

My experience with polishing was a couple of boats is the earli 80:s I have since then just driven my cars and not so keen about waxing and stuff. Now i drive a newer GTO and want it to shine and i found you thru searching for Makita 9207
    As i have just bought one for a good price.

Can you help me with some basic starter tips and also i Think of buying a oscillating machine. I have opportunity to get some wax and rubbings from work as we use Meguiars and Wurth Products.

My car is very harsh after spending earlier years in Florida so i need to rub it for starter and also the headlight. Is in yellow grey condition

Only If you have time Or can send me somewhere to read up

Thanks /Kjell

After answring him via e-mail, I get a follow-up. So now I'm bringing it to the forum.

Hi and thanks for The reply

I found some of your articles and you polished a red and black car when you tested Rupes machine and that was amazing results.

We used big Makita and Autosol on The boat but that was 30+ years ago

How much polish compound do you need and how long time does it take to grind down The abrasive so you got the ultra fine cutting with the new age compound?

Any suggestion on a oscillating that don't cost The shirt for amateurs?

I will read up on your articles as i love to see a skilled mans work

/ Kjell

Great questions Kiell,

First I would HIGHLY recommend finding and buying an free spinning random orbital polisher to go with your Makita Rotary Buffer.

I always say,

Rotary buffers are okay to START with but not to FINISH with.

Rotary buffers leave a scratch pattern in the paint called HOLOGRAMS. If you start with a rotary and finish out with an orbital, you will never have to deal with holograms.

Meguiar's and Wurth are both established companies with great products. Do you research, read the labels and then make your choices. I have know idea what's available to you in Sweden?

Hope that helps and feel encouraged to join our forum, this is where I answer questions. Email and Facebook messaging are okay, but the forum is a LOT more powerful. (think about it - it's how you found me in the first place)

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum - THE best forum on the Internet

As I say... I always type for the future.... never just the present...

Mike Phillips

Re: Need helps learning to polish cars?

More...

You mentioned my Makita? Here's an article I wrote with pictures showing my original trusty, dusty Makita 9207 SPC Rotary Polisher.

My original Makita 9207 SPC Variable Speed Rotary Polisher - Mike Phillips

Makita 9207 SPC Variable Speed Rotary Polisher

I fed myself, paid my bills with this for decades until the GEARS were completely worn out. Now it sits on a shelf in my office and I share it i all my car and boat detailing classes. I tell people,

"If you're going to take a class to learn how to use the rotary buffer - it's a good idea to take a class from someone that's actually used one"

I've never seen the original rotary buffer worn out by anyone else that teach detailing classes. Maybe they have one? I don't know?:

Mike Phillips

Here's a video on my Facebook page on the topic of holograms

Click on link or on picture.

Holograms - we call this Hack Work.

And if you're not a Facebook person but you prefer Instagram - here's the same video on my IG page

Holograms in Z28 Camaro

Mike Phillips

More,

And here's just one of probably a dozen articles I have on holograms.

The word holograms means a specific scratch pattern inflicted into paint using a rotary buffer

Mike Phillips

More...

So I don't know what options are available to you in Sweden for affordable orbital polishers but I'm sure there are choices.

I would look for a SHORT STROKE free spinning random orbital polisher like we have here in the United States of America, for example the Porter Cable 7424XP

Porter Cable 7424XP

Whatever you end up with - get a 5" backing plate for it so you can use 5.5" buffing pads. Some tools come with a larger 6" backing plate and this FORCES you to use larger, and usually THICKER pads and they will not rotate very well.

When it comes to free spinning random orbital polishers, if the pad is NOT rotating you are wasting your time. Removing defects DEMANDS pad rotation. Don't believe anyone that says this isn't true.

See my article here,

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Or here,

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Mike Phillips

More...

And here's the video I recommended you to watch in my first reply to your initial e-mail.

Here's the link to join our forum and then you can interact with me here.

Click here to join the AutogeekOnline.net car detailing discussion forum - THE best forum on the Internet

Mike Phillips

One more thing....

As a person that shares a LOT of pictures in the forum world using the best way, which is to upload pictures to a gallery so the pictures have an actual cyber home with an actual cyber address, I completely understand that the majority of people don't know how to do this and don't have the patience or wherewithal to figure it out.

So with that said, here's the easy way, simply get the TapaTalk App on your phone. Links below for the type of phone you have.

Link for TapaTalk for iPhone

Link for TapaTalk from Google Play

I don't have a tutorial on how to then use the App but I figure it out and if I can do it - most of you should be able to look at the interface and with a little experimenting - figure it out.

Would love to see a picture of your GTO!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One more thing....

As a person that shares a LOT of pictures in the forum world using the best way, which is to upload pictures to a gallery so the pictures have an actual cyber home with an actual cyber address, I completely understand that the majority of people don't know how to do this and don't have the patience or wherewithal to figure it out.

So with that said, here's the easy way, simply get the TapaTalk App on your phone. Links below for the type of phone you have.

Link for TapaTalk for iPhone

Link for TapaTalk from Google Play

I don't have a tutorial on how to then use the App but I figure it out and if I can do it - most of you should be able to look at the interface and with a little experimenting - figure it out.

Would love to see a picture of your GTO!

Hi everyone at the forum a newbie here

hi i read that you recomend a 5" baseplate for the machines to easier get hold of polishing pads!
    Question would it be a good idea to also have 5" on the makita 9207scb also to get the perifical (is thats the word for it . hm im Swedish) speed down a little and use the same pads ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by omalley34male View Post

Hi everyone at the forum a newbie here
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

You must be Kiell?

Thank you for joining the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by omalley34male View Post

hi i read that you recommend a 5" baseplate for the machines to easier get hold of polishing pads!

Question would it be a good idea to also have 5" on the makita 9207scb also to get the perifical (is thats the word for it . hm im Swedish) speed down a little and use the same pads ?
    Yes if you're new to using the rotary buffer to polish cars.

Here's why - smaller foam pads on a rotary are easier to learn to use and also control.

Normally if you have a 5" backing plate you'll be looking for 5.5" and 6" pads. The pads need to be a tick larger than the backing plate so your eyes can see where and how to CENTER the pads onto the backing plate.

Does that make sense?

It's really hard to CENTER a pad onto a backing plate when the pad is SMALLER than the backing plate. Plus now you risk running the edge of the backing plate into paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes that problem i have anyway when my eyes are getting fader

i was looking on porter cable if its available here in sweden i know i can also order DAS, turtle in that pricerange
    the rupes we have at work for the detailing guy so that one i have tried..it worked nice but not for the price. I only have 3 cars in the family so i dont think i will be wearing out one it the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast