autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear Vinyl Wrap Detail Process

Have purchased 2017 Aston Martin DB11. Car has clear vinyl wrapped front end (hood & quarter panels). Balance of car is traditional paint. I want to learn to detail this car (clay bar, polish, wax, sealants, etc) however need to know first if the processes for detailing this car with vinyl are the same as that with cars without vinyl (traditional processes for paint). New at this so please be patient. Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clear Vinyl Wrap Detail Process

Quote Originally Posted by Robcruising83 View Post
    Have purchased 2017 Aston Martin DB11. Car has clear vinyl wrapped front end (hood & quarter panels). Balance of car is traditional paint. I want to learn to detail this car (clay bar, polish, wax, sealants, etc) however need to know first if the processes for detailing this car with vinyl are the same as that with cars without vinyl (traditional processes for paint). New at this so please be patient. Thanks for any help!
    For PPF I usually go over it with something like CarPro Essence and a no cut pad like Buff & Shine red wax pad.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what kind of clear wrap it is. If it’s XPEL, you can use their sealant or any good sealant, there is no need to polish at all.
    Glen -

Mike Phillips

The first questions are,

1: What do you have for tools?

2: What do you have for pads?

3: What do you have for products?

It goes without saying, you need lots of great quality, UN-CONTAMINATED microfiber towels of all sorts.

So what do you have?

And because this is your first post,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! So basically do not use any cutting type of polishes or pads?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

First of all thanks for the add here!

Tools... I contacted you previously re my boat finishing needs. As a result bought the Flex XC 3401 and Marine 31 Products. Also have the PC 7424 machine.

Pads...have Lake Country 6.5" foam pad colors of all types.

Product..have Marine 31 bought for work I'm doing on my boats (gelcoat) after a previous email with you (realize may not work for my car use).

Joined forum per your previous recommendation so here I am.

Have Gel Coat Products:

Carnuba Wax & Sealant,
    Stainless Steel & Alum Brightening Soap,
    Final Step Polish,
    Heavy Cut Oxidation Polish,
    One Step Polish & Wax/Sealant.

Have many Microfiber towels of different color separate per your suggestion).

Thanks for any help.

Mike Phillips

Have purchased 2017 Aston Martin DB11. Car has clear vinyl wrapped front end (hood & quarter panels). Balance of car is traditional paint.

I want to learn to detail this car (clay bar, polish, wax, sealants, etc) however need to know first if the processes for detailing this car with vinyl are the same as that with cars without vinyl (traditional processes for paint). New at this so please be patient.

Mike,

First of all thanks for the add here!

Tools... I contacted you previously re my boat finishing needs. As a result bought the Flex XC 3401 and Marine 31 Products. Also have the PC 7424 machine.

Pads...have Lake Country 6.5" foam pad colors of all types.

Product..have Marine 31 bought for work I'm doing on my boats (gelcoat) after a previous email with you (realize may not work for my car use).

Joined forum per your previous recommendation so here I am.

Have Gel Coat Products:

Carnuba Wax & Sealant,
    Stainless Steel & Alum Brightening Soap,
    Final Step Polish,
    Heavy Cut Oxidation Polish,
    One Step Polish & Wax/Sealant.

Have many Microfiber towels of different color separate per your suggestion).

Thanks for any help.

Okay, I've quoted your first post to provide context and your second post to outline your arsenal.

The good news...

The good news is you can use the Porter Cable and foam pads to buff on the PPF on the front of the Aston Martin SHOULD IT EVER NEED IT. What's more important is to "touch" it carefully and always with clean, un-contaminated microfiber products. This way you won't put swirls and scratches into it to only have to remove later. Be pro-active.

If the PPF - Paint Protection Film aka Vinyl Wrap already has swirls and scratches I've had great luck machine polishing these defects out using orbital polishers like the Porter Cable, (free spinning), and fine cut polishes that use great abrasive technology.

For the paint, you can use either tool with foam pads.

The bad news...

Generally speaking - marine grade products are too aggressive for PPF and automotive clearcoats. I would trust the Marine 31 Captain's One Step Compound and Polish on clearcoats but not any of the other products. They are fine on gel-coat but skip using them on your cool car.

Mike Phillips

Question?

Where do you live?

Mike Phillips

I'm typing a brand new Show -N Shine article for an old 2-door Pontiac and from it 3 new product reviews. Also getting ready to step out into the garage to shoot and IGL video. So a tick busy.

Here's what I recommend. Click the video below and watch it from start to finish. It will teach you everything you need to know and do to machine polish your Aston Martin.

When it comes to the PPF or Clear Bra, follow what I share when I get to the "polishing" step and of course - do a TEST SPOT for both the paint and the PPF.

If you want to make buffing out the precious thin paint on this car 'Bubba-Proof" - then get the Pinnacle products I show in the video. They are no more expensive than 3M brand and you simply cannot make a mistake with them as they all use great abrasive technology.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Answering your last two replies.
    First please let me know if I should buy some more different product (brand/type) for the car vs the Marine 31. BTW...the car is "like new" shape so don't need anything aggressive for now. However it does have some minor dirt/spots to clean off from Trailering, driving around here, etc. Probably could use a wax/sealant once cleaned.
    Second, live in Michigan which is where all the boats are...however snowbird down in FL right now (Bonita Springs) so have the car here....but all tools back home.
    I appreciate all the help you have given me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast