autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing dried on wax from plastic trim

What method do you recommend for removing old dried on wax on plastic trim? I bought an old vehicle that has a lot of wax on the trim and I tried the eraser trick and Dawn, and it helped some, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. I've heard Plexus works for this, is that correct, or do you have any other recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing dried on wax from plastic trim

I use Blackfire Wax Remover, I’ve had great results with it.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use the Blackfire Wax Remover. Once the plastic trim has been cleaned I also apply the Blackfire Tire & Trim Sealant for protection.

BLACKFIRE Wax Remover
    BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

4th on BF. Just make sure to use a more aggressive brush. Tried a Boars hair detail brush and was disappointed. Guz recommend a stiffer brush (I decided on mothers) and worked like a charm.

Link to the brush:

Mothers Detail Brush Set cleans crevices and creases inside your car. Mother Detail Brush Set includes 2 small brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually start with APC and a tootbrush......or a pencil eraser....if they do not work, I go to CarPro Eraser. As an aside, I heated up the neck of the toothbrush with one of those butane lighters and bent it to the right angle.

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral Spirits and a toothbrush.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CSixDude View Post

What method do you recommend for removing old dried on wax on plastic trim?

I bought an old vehicle that has a lot of wax on the trim and I tried the eraser trick and Dawn, and it helped some, but I'm wondering if there is a better way.

I've heard Plexus works for this, is that correct, or do you have any other recommendations?

What I have found to work the best is a dedicated dried wax remover. I have a review for the BLACKFIRE product and it actually works really well when used with a STIFF toothbrush.

Review: BLACKFIRE Wax Remover

BLACKFIRE Wax Remover

From the AG Store

BLACKFIRE Wax Remover was developed as an expert-level solution to the common detailing aliment that many have faced in the past. The dried, crusty residue left on your trim when wax or other products find their way onto those surfaces. The cleaning agents in BLACKFIRE Wax Remover are specifically geared to target and break-up the unique components of waxes and polishes in a quick and efficient manner. More than that though, because BLACKFIRE Wax Remover targets the wax and polish specifically, it will not harm or tarnish any surface that you apply it to. With a simple spray and wipe application process, BLACKFIRE Wax Remover could not be any easier to use!

Waxes and polishes are a corner-stone of the detailing practice. They are a necessary tool to achieve the amazing gloss and shine for which every detailer strives. However, these products are usually designed to work on only one surface of your vehicle. Your paint. These products will tend to leave a very noticeable and irritating “crusty” residue on any porous surface (like your plastic and rubber trim) that they happen to land on. And, thanks to the fact that waxes, polishes, and other products very rarely stay in their own lane, this “trim crust” is a very common problem for most detailers.

Once this residue crops up on your trim, you will quickly learn that is not just as easy as wiping it off. This is where BLACKFIRE Wax Remover comes in. BLACKFIRE Wax Remover was designed using specialized cleaner agents that target the molecules of which waxes and polishes are comprised. These cleaner agents will quickly break-up the wax or polish that is resting on the surface, making it as easy as a wipe to effectively remove them!

While there are other cleaners that are capable of accomplishing such a task, those cleaners are often able to do so with the use of harmful surfactants. These surfactants won’t stop at the wax and polish particles though, they will also cause some severe degradation and corrosion of your trim surface as well! This is why BLACKFIRE Wax Remover was developed without the use of such surfactants. Making BLACKFIRE Wax Remover safe for all types of trim surfaces and allowing you to hone your trim to perfection without destroying it in the process. With BLACKFIRE Wax Remover, you won’t have to worry about spending hours taping off every surface of your car. You can detail with confidence, knowing that BLACKFIRE Wax Remover will be there to keep your trim looking prim!

Directions for Use:
    Working out of direct sunlight, spray Wax Remover directly onto the affected area and allow to dwell for approximately 30-45 seconds. Depending on severity of contamination, you can either scrub the surface using a trim brush or wipe away with a microfiber towel. Be sure to apply BLACKFIRE Trim & Tire Protectant when you're done to keep your trim protected!

Now onto my review and how-to...

Questions I get asked often?

There are some questions in the car detailing world that I get asked often, here's one of them;

How can I get old dried wax off the black plastic trim on my car?

Here's how I answer it - probably not the way you think.

I start by saying the best way to remove dried wax or dried compound and polish splatter off of black plastic, rubber and vinyl trim is to not get it on the trim in the first place. Then you don't have to remove it. And of course by this I mean - tape-off exterior plastic trim before doing any paint related tasks like compounding, polishing and/or waxing.

And by the time someone is asking how to remove dried wax off plastic trim it's too late to implement my suggestion and "yes" I already know this. What I'm trying to do is to help this person by MAKING them THINK. Then hopefully - they won't make the mistake a second time. You can either tape-off plastic trim OR s-l-o-w down and be careful and avoid creaming over trim when compounding, polishing and waxing your car.

Once the damage is done then the challenge is getting all of the white colored residue off of the trim and this can not only be difficult but sometimes impossible as wax and polish residue can IMPACT INTO the surface of trim. This is especially true for pebble textured plastic trim where the surface is rough with tiny hills and valleys and it's when the wax dries in the miniature valleys of pebble textured plastic trim it is often times.... game over.

Now I have new product that works great that I can recommend to deal with this type of problem. BLACKFIRE Wax Remover. And the good news is - it's easy to use.

Check it out....

This is my neighbor's old Honda CRV. It's a 2000 model and it's been years since it was properly polished and waxed so I'm using it for my May 3-day detailing class to teach Production Detailing.

After the class washed the Honda we found a couple places with old dried wax or polish residue. Because I had to write this review I used this opportunity to both showcase this product to the class and at the same time take a few pictures to show how well this new product works.

Here's the ugly white staining you often see on plastic trim.

Here's a close-up. Looks like someone tried to get it off at one time but alas, it's really hard to remove this type of residue after it's weathered and aged.

Here's our hero!

Spray onto the affected area...

Scrub with a nylon brush...

Wipe off the icky reside with a terry cloth towel....

And BOOM! There it is! Looks like brand new!