autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help restore paint/shine

Have an 09 tacoma, super white which is a single stage paint to where clear coat is part of paint. For what I've been told. Well, when truck was new i installed 3m film to protect front end and part of hood. That has since been removed and leaves bit of dull marks on where the film was. Also, the paint in areas seems dry and has lost shine and tends to stain. I have a porter cable DA tool. What tool, polish would help bring back the shine? Truck is typically outside all year long and florida sun takes toll. The stains do come out when I use meguiars polish.
    Thanks for input!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help restore paint/shine

For white vehicle's and especially single stage paint I am a massive fan of Carpro Essence.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's #83 with a light cutting pad or a polishing pad then #205 with a Finishing pad would be hard to beat really.

Then top it off with a Paint Sealant like Wolfgang DGPS.

Or you could just use something like Black Fire One Step with a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

My car is a Toyota white camry....I been using Blackfire one step....which cleans...polishes...protects...top it with BK SIO2 paint sealant....both are easy on and off

Post Thanks / Like

What is your intention? Full polish followed by your choice of protection? Or a one step product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwr80 View Post
    Have an 09 tacoma, super white which is a single stage paint to where clear coat is part of paint. For what I've been told. Well, when truck was new i installed 3m film to protect front end and part of hood. That has since been removed and leaves bit of dull marks on where the film was. Also, the paint in areas seems dry and has lost shine and tends to stain. I have a porter cable DA tool. What tool, polish would help bring back the shine? Truck is typically outside all year long and florida sun takes toll. The stains do come out when I use meguiars polish.
    Thanks for input!
    An 09 Toyota with clear coat in the paint, really!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that single stage paints were sprayed for commercial use. I would check your paint code and make sure you have single stage white. If still unsure you can test spot with a compound, rub and see if it turns white. Single stage paint will not have as much gloss as paint with clear coat. I would treat it like any other correction job, start with the least aggressive product and pad and go only as aggressive as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    An 09 Toyota with clear coat in the paint, really!!!

The paint on my fathers 04’ Tacoma doesn’t feel or behave like single stage paint.. If you look at its previous condition you’d think it might be single stage, but everything since tells me it’s not.

I’ve tested it by rubbing compound with a dark blue microfiber applicator and no white paint rubs off at all.

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in,

YES - Toyota has and continues (to my knowledge), use a modern single stage URETHANE paint system for some of their white colored vehicles. Single stage white paint is VERY TOUGH because the pigment used for the white color is very hard and when mixed into the pant resin the entire MATRIX becomes very hard. For this reason - it will LAST a long time.

But that doesn't mean it will LOOK good a long time. Single stage paint is more porous than pure clear resin and for this reason it will oxidize faster and more readily. (that's too different things actually).

Here's a similar truck we did an extreme makeover to here at Autogeek.

RUPES EASY GLOSS System - EXTREME MAKEOVER - 2006 Toyota Tundra - YEARS of neglect!

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's a before and after from some guy that did all his communicating with me via e-mail.

How to restore original paint on a 1991 Toyota Pickup Truck

BEFORE

AFTER

Mike Phillips

Also, the paint in areas seems dry and has lost shine and tends to stain.
    As mentioned in my previous post - single stage paint, which is pigment added to resin - by it's very nature is more porous or more "open" and thus more prone to staining. In most cases you can abrade the surface and remove the stained portion of paint to reveal the factory original color.

I have a porter cable DA tool.

What tool, polish would help bring back the shine?

Truck is typically outside all year long and florida sun takes toll.

The stains do come out when I use meguiars polish.
    Thanks for input!

Any quality compound, polish or one-step cleaner/wax will fix this truck. You'll likely want to use a foam cutting pad for your Porter Cable. Depending upon the size of the backing plate, the Griot's BOSS WHITE foam pads are very aggressive but should finish out nice on single stage white paint.