autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to ceramic coating.

I recently had my new Diamond Black Crystal Pearl truck coated with Kenzo and I'm wondering what to do with my pre-coating supplies.

I was using Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Spray wax and Detailer on the paint and wondering if I should continue with it.

I also have Meguiar's Gold Class wash which I assume is fine to use.

My detailer suggested using Pinnacle Crystal SIO2 Spray as both a booster when that time comes and sprayed on the wet truck and use as a drying aid. He claims that when used as a drying aid it goes on foolproof because it's watered down and good for the maintenances washes.

And if I dont use my previous Meguiar's products, should I get the Pinnacle Black Label SIO2 Detail spray?

Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to ceramic coating.

Welcome to the forum.

The Meguiar's hybrid ceramic spray detailer works well over a coating. If you want to stay within the IGL family then get some Premier and use that.

Two products that work with any coating are CarPro EcH20 and Elixir. Elixir would leave protection behind whether it is used as a drying aid or stand alone once the paint is dry. EcH20 is a rinseless wash that will leave gloss and slickness but very little to no protection. It can be diluted to a detail spray for a drying aid.

As far as soaps, Gold Class is ok but the gloss enhancers can mask the hydrophobic properties of the coating or topper making it seem like it is failing. You can use it up. CarPro Reset is a good option for any coating.

3. Likes PaulMys, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crystal SiO2 Spray would work as a booster or drying aid every month or two. As Guz mentioned, so would IGL Premier. It’s pricey but would probably be the best overall booster every 2-4 months for Kenzo (brand synergy). Not sure I would use Premier as a drying aid due to price. But should do well as one if you choose because it’s not finicky at all. Not sure about bonding and stuff though.
    IGL Ecocoat Premier

You can use your detailer of choice for drying aid as well...

No need to get Pinnacle Black Label SiO2 Spray, Meguiar’s Hybrid Detailer will be just as good, including as a drying aid inbetween using stronger the booster of your choice.

When Megs Hybrid Detailer runs out, you could also consider IGL EcoShine Enhancer as your next detailer for brand synergy.
    IGL Ecoshine Enhancer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

I'm partly asking these questions because I'm trying to understand what type of product can be applied over the ceramic without negatively affecting it's properties. For instance if gloss enhancers might negatively impact it, wouldn't that mean that you should only use a real SIO2 product and not a hybrid or anything with wax in it?
    Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billenh View Post
    Thanks guys,

I'm partly asking these questions because I'm trying to understand what type of product can be applied over the ceramic without negatively affecting it's properties. For instance if gloss enhancers might negatively impact it, wouldn't that mean that you should only use a real SIO2 product and not a hybrid or anything with wax in it?
    Thanks
    Bill
    The products that have SiO2 in them are generally meant as boosters to coatings, regardless of being called “hybrid”, which just means they also have polymers and make the surface a bit more slick, etc. Toppers are hopefully keeping the same water beading performance (or making it better) while adding another protection barrier and maybe some additional desirable qualities. Hopefully these toppers aren’t decreasing performance, but I’m sure it’s possible. Especially if you boost a top-notch coating such as Kenzo with a bargain bin or poor performing booster. I would think you would decide this via experience. If you don’t like what the booster is doing compared to the current state of the coating alone, you should probably stop using the booster.

Anytime polymers (from a SiO2 booster, sealant, wax) cause a decrease in performance to a coating, stopping use and washing a few times with a glossless shampoo like Reset will remove the polymers and should get the coating back to where it was.

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    The products that have SiO2 in them are generally meant as boosters to coatings, regardless of being called “hybrid”, which just means they also have polymers and make the surface a bit more slick, etc. Toppers are hopefully keeping the same water beading performance (or making it better) while adding another protection barrier and maybe some additional desirable qualities. Hopefully these toppers aren’t decreasing performance, but I’m sure it’s possible. Especially if you boost a top-notch coating such as Kenzo with a bargain bin or poor performing booster. I would think you would decide this via experience. If you don’t like what the booster is doing compared to the current state of the coating alone, you should probably stop using the booster.

Anytime polymers (from a SiO2 booster, sealant, wax) cause a decrease in performance to a coating, stopping use and washing a few times with a glossless shampoo like Reset will remove the polymers and should get the coating back to where it was.
    Thanks, that's the info I needed. I had already purchased some Pinnacle Crystal SIO2 Spray and didn't get the response about IGL Ecocoat Premier until after I had already placed an order for Reset or I would have purchased that as well.

Bill

9. Thanks ShaneK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's the info I needed. I had already purchased some Pinnacle Crystal SIO2 Spray and didn't get the response about IGL Ecocoat Premier until after I had already placed an order for Reset or I would have purchased that as well.

Bill
    It’s all good, Pinnacle SiO2 Spray is good stuff, it just doesn’t last as long as Premier. I get 6 weeks (generalize as 4-8 weeks) or so before a sharp drop off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    It’s all good, Pinnacle SiO2 Spray is good stuff, it just doesn’t last as long as Premier. I get 6 weeks (generalize as 4-8 weeks) or so before a sharp drop off.
    I'm in NH and my truck isn't garaged so we'll see how it goes. I did spend the money on a battery operated washer which can draw from a bucket so hopefully I can somewhat keep up the washes or at least rinses this winter.

New to ceramic coating.-11-16-20ram-ceramic-jpg

12. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

Thanks
    Bill
    The easiest answer is product synergy as Mike Phillips would state. Meaning staying within the same family.

Now there is no rule against using non silica infused products. It won’t harm the coating but these type of products won’t have the best performing hydrophobics or self cleaning. Most of the toppers dedicated for coatings have little silica and are mostly polymers anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that stacking silica products is not always the best thing. They can sometimes mute the appearance. I am referring to using a dedicated silica infused soap and then a silica spray topper. Usually one or the other is good enough.

The Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic detailer plays well with any coating so you will have no issues using it. The coating will eventually shed it just as it would with the gold class soap and its gloss enhancers.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The easiest answer is product synergy as Mike Phillips would state. Meaning staying within the same family.

Now there is no rule against using non silica infused products. It won’t harm the coating but these type of products won’t have the best performing hydrophobics or self cleaning. Most of the toppers dedicated for coatings have little silica and are mostly polymers anyway.

One thing to keep in mind is that stacking silica products is not always the best thing. They can sometimes mute the appearance. I am referring to using a dedicated silica infused soap and then a silica spray topper. Usually one or the other is good enough.

The Meguiar’s hybrid ceramic detailer plays well with any coating so you will have no issues using it. The coating will eventually shed it just as it would with the gold class soap and its gloss enhancers.
    I have the CarPro Reset on the way, I'll use the Gold Class on my wife's SUV.