autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic 3-1 help please

Please help!!! I applied the Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 wax on my new black car about two weeks ago ... I finally got around to taking the car out of the garage today and with the outside light I've now noticed some terrible spots where it's very splotchy ... other parts look great. How can I fix the splotchy parts???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic 3-1 help please

Quote Originally Posted by nkme2000 View Post
    Please help!!! I applied the Griots Ceramic 3-in-1 wax on my new black car about two weeks ago ... I finally got around to taking the car out of the garage today and with the outside light I've now noticed some terrible spots where it's very splotchy ... other parts look great. How can I fix the splotchy parts???
    It’s probably over applied product. Try wiping with a damp microfiber. If that doesn’t work try spraying a little more 3-1 in it and buff with a MF towel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks nkme2000 thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If wiping doesn’t help, wash it. Usually helps.

5. Thanks nkme2000, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all points. It was probably applied too thick and either another bit of the product or a wash will remove those spots

I've found these SiO2 sprays do not work well when directly sprayed to the surface of the vehicle because it leads to over application, smears, and strange blotchy spots. Instead, I'll spray a little product on my MF towel and apply it this way. You put down far less product and don't typically have the same smearing problems.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks nkme2000, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes nkme2000, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I think you have some good direction above. I'll add this,

When applying any spray-on protection product - a good technique is the one I share here,

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

wax.

How to apply and remove the BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

Before I get into the step-by-step directions, first I want to share my technique for applying and removing spray-on products. It's a very simple technique but if you don't know about it you can find yourself FIGHTING YOURSELF trying to apply any spray-on liquid and the reason why is because when using a DRY microfiber towel to spread out a WET liquid, at the same time you're trying to spread the product out the DRY microfiber towel is trying to absorb and remove it. This is working against yourself and your goal of spreading a thin film over the surface.

So instead, try this...

Mike's Technique Tip
    Start by DAMPENING one side of a folded microfiber towel with the product you're applying. This way the side you're going to apply the sealant with is already dampened with the product. If you don't do this, then trying to SPREAD out a liquid, (the SiO2 Spray Sealant), with a clean dry microfiber towel is a tick more difficult because the same time you're trying to spread out the liquid - the DRY microfiber towel is trying to remove it via absorption. So start by dampening one side of a folded microfiber towel and then use this SAME side to apply and spread out the SiO2 Spray Sealant over all the painted body panels. I'm fairly confident you'll find this technique works so much better than trying to spread out a liquid with a dry towel.

Directions

Now with the technique explained, here's how to apply and remove this product

Step 1: Spray some of the SiO2 Spray Sealant onto a section of paint.

Step 2: Using your towel dampened with the SiO2 Spray Sealant, gently spread the sealant over the section to be treated.

Step 3: Switch to your second, clean DRY microfiber towels and buff that section to a dry, high shine.

When moving onto a new section of paint, overlap just a little into the previous section for uniform coverage. Repeat this process until you have applied and wiped-off the sealant to all the car's body panels. Now let's walk through the above process with pictures starting with my technique for using spray-on sealants...

First, using my technique shared above, dampen one side of a clean, microfiber towel folded 4-ways.

This side is now damp with the SiO2 Spray Sealant

Here's another technique tip - grab the EDGES of your microfiber towel by CLAMPING them between your thumb on one side...

And your index finger on the other side like you see here. Then pull up the edge a little and spread the rest of your hand and fingers out over the back of the towel. By doing this you're able to firmly grip your towel while maximizing your handprint while wiping.

Step 1: Spray some of the SiO2 Spray Sealant onto a section of paint.

Step 2: Using your towel dampened with the SiO2 Spray Sealant, gently spread the sealant over the section to be treated.

The goal is to gently spread-out a uniform film of the SiO2 Spray Sealant

Step 3: Switch to your second, clean DRY microfiber towels and buff that section to a dry, high shine.

IF you can make black paint look great you can make any color of paint look great!

9. Thanks nkme2000 thanked for this post
    Likes nkme2000, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's some,

Car Wax History

I actually shared this technique 16 years ago as I type. This how-to article is dated October 19th, 2004

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

2) - Applying with a microfiber polishing cloth

Another method of applying a Meguiar's Spray wax is to apply it using a microfiber polishing cloth. Here's my daughter misting some NXT Tech Wax onto a clean, folded Ultimate Wipe.

The trick to making this technique work is only using one side of your folded microfiber polishing cloth to apply the NXT Spray Wax over the entire car.

First she moistens one side of an Ultimate Wipe and then she can either spray some NXT Spray Wax onto the finish, or continue to spray some onto this same side of the Ultimate Wipe as she works her way around the Pilot.

Why dampening one side of a folded towel works

The reason this method works is because once you have dampened one side with wax, you now have a wax-moistened surface that spreads and applies wax like the foam applicator pad.

Why switching to a dry side of a towel does NOT work

If you try to continually switch to a new, dry side, the cloth will tend to adsorb your product while your trying to spread it out and thus you will feel like you're fighting yourself while trying to spread the product out.

Here is what a thin coating applied over the entire finish looks like,

Then, after applying to the entire finish, you can start removing the wax where you first started applying the wax and follow your path of travel.

Products will change but techniques can endure forever.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    It’s probably over applied product. Try wiping with a damp microfiber. If that doesn’t work try spraying a little more 3-1 in it and buff with a MF towel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you ALL for taking the time to respond, much appreciated.

I will give this a try tonight.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nkme2000 View Post

How can I fix the splotchy parts???

Like dissolves like

Sometimes the above works and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on how hard or solid a product dries.

Take and dampen a clean, folded microfiber towel with the Griot's Garage 3-1 Ceramic Wax and then GENTLY wipe the affected areas. Be ready to re-wipe these areas with a SEPARATE clean, dry microfiber towel.

If this technique works in one area it should work in all areas.

Let us know how it goes.

13. Thanks nkme2000 thanked for this post
    Likes nkme2000 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Let us know how it goes.
    Will do ... and thank you for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know your results. I recall a test from Loach where Griots 3-in-1 dried really hard (almost permanent, wiping with waterless wash didn’t impact gloss readings), but not sure if a high spot would be as stubborn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast