autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Restore black trim after polish

I have a 2019 Mustang and I recently polished it with the Turtlewax Polish and Wax and then followed up with a coating of Ceramic Spray coating. I didn't think about masking off the black around the bottom of the car and now it is starting to get a white haze in places.

Any suggestions as to what I can use to restore the black plastic? Would MEGUIAR'S Plastic Restorer do the job, or something similar?

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Re: Restore black trim after polish

Quote Originally Posted by Greaper View Post

Any suggestions as to what I can use to restore the black plastic? Would MEGUIAR'S Plastic Restorer do the job, or something similar?

Thanks

If you mean this,

Meguiars Ultimate Black, trim restorer, trim protectant, plastic restorer

Then "no". That product is for restoring trim, not removing dried wax.

This works really well but it only comes in a 32 ounce bottle. It's only $20.00 so not going to break the bank either.

BLACKFIRE Wax Remover

You can try using some form of All Purpose Cleaner and a tooth brush. You need some type of cleaner or solvent that is safe for plastic trim but strong enough to dissolve or at least help dissolve the ceramic polish/wax.

A properly diluted engine degreaser will usually work. What do you have for APC's around the house and garage?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Greaper View Post

I have a 2019 Mustang and I recently polished it with the Turtlewax Polish and Wax

I used and then wrote a review for this product when it first came out. I was very impressed with it's correction ability and finis results.

Did you see this write-up?

Review: Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Polish & Wax

And the above old 2-door Plymouth does in fact have a modern basecoat/clearcoat paint system like your Mustang.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, using a good brush to work the wax remover product into the "grain" of the plastic trim is equally as important as the actual product used (wax remover, APC, etc.). Even with the best product, if you just spray it on and wipe it off with a towel/rag, you're not going to get results.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post

IMHO, using a good brush to work the wax remover product into the "grain" of the plastic trim is equally as important as the actual product used (wax remover, APC, etc.).

Even with the best product, if you just spray it on and wipe it off with a towel/rag, you're not going to get results.

Totally agree. a good stiff, short bristle brush tends to work the best.

Dried wax/polish or compound residue on pebble textured plastic trim is the curse of the car detailing world.

In today's first video I shared a story about this exact same problem that happened about 15 years ago. I didn't share specifics as that wouldn't be right but suffice to say, a person took a well known cleaner/wax and applied it to their entire truck. All the surfaces. The truck was a Chevy Avalanche. The wiped the wax onto all the plastic cladding only to find out it made a huge mess and was incredibly difficult to remove.

They then contacted customer care and blamed the product because the label didn't specifically state not to apply to plastic trim. From this I personally learned, when writing or TYPING how-to information and especially how-to directions, you must fool-proof it for the lowest common denominator among the unwashed masses.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

They then contacted customer care and blamed the product because the label didn't specifically state not to apply to plastic trim. From this I personally learned, when writing or TYPING how-to information and especially how-to directions, you must fool-proof it for the lowest common denominator among the unwashed masses.

I'm surprised they didn't also blame them for the awful taste after they spread some on their sandwich.

Because hey........ it didn't say NOT to use it on food.

People suck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest a product like Wolfgang ceramic spray or SIO2 spray that doesn't leave a white residue on trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Wax Remover with a short bristle brush works great for removing the white residue on plastic trim. I like to apply the Blackfire Tire & Trim Sealant on exterior plastic trim.

BLACKFIRE Wax Remover

BLACKFIRE Tire & Trim Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I did see the write up and thank you very much for that and that is one of the reasons I used the product.

When it comes to all purpose cleaner I have Fantastic, Lysol cleaner with bleach, ajax and dish soap.

If none of these are recommended I can go to the autoparts store and get some wax remover if you think that's better.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go to an autoparts store or the automotive section of Walmart and look to see if they have an all purpose cleaner from someone like Meguiars, Mothers, Griots Garage, etc. Some of the cleaners/degreasers may be too strong as is straight Simple Green in my experience.

Another option might be the dish soap. Mix up a little soap and water in a cup, dip a tooth brush in it, and then start gently brushing at the areas to remove the polish. Once your done you can wipe off the area with a wet towel. I've never used dish soap, but it might be safer and more effective than some of the other options you have on hand.

Going forward it is always good to have some APC on hand. I get a bottle of the Poorboys World APC concentrate here at AG and keep a couple spray bottles mixed up at different rations. It's pretty inexpensive this way and you always have a good, safe, cleaner on hand when you need it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast