autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing AIO with rotary

Hello Mike,

as we are headed into winter business is finaly slowing down here in Montreal.

I am now starting to think about my packages for next year and I have a question for you.

Right now AIO are a big part of my non nano-ceramic coating packages. I currently use either a regular 8mm DA or a Rupes 21 mm DA depending on the type of car I have to do.

For pads it varies on the paint condition but my main two pads are 5.5" Lake Country HDO Blue cutting pads or Lake Country wool pads. With these I can get very good correction, removing all oxidation and most of the micro scratches doing 4 to 5 passes. On a average size car it takes me between 2 to 3 hours to do the whole vehicle.

My go to AIO is Meguiar's D166 Ultra polishing wax. Overall I can usually get about 60-80% microscratch removal.

I am thinking about trying to use a rotary polisher but I do not want to leave any holograms (obviously). Can you make any suggestion on what pad to use and what speed to use to be able to do the work faster and get as good a result? What size pad would be best for that and what type? If I was to switch, what kind of time saving can I expect for equal result? Finally do you think it's a good idea to make the switch or should I stay with the DA for my AIO?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing AIO with rotary

In order to get the best finish with a rotary you need a small pore soft pad, something along the lines of the red and black pads. The problem is they offer practically no cut and an AIO is really mild for correction. I don't think a rotary going to work well.