autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Unique Situation Considering Ceramic Coatings and Detailing!

My daughter and son-in-law just purchased a 2020 Porsche Macan and a 2020 Corvette Stingray. Previously they were driving two matching 2017 Honda Civic Touring sedans and they decided to give one me and one to my son-in-laws father. It's a very long story but suffice it to say they have a 4 year old business that even under the current situations here in the U.S. is growing extremely fast.

30+ years ago I spent 5 years detailing cars for a living. Since I'm so thankful I'm treating it like it is priceless because of how I received it in my mind it is. However, I would really like to thank them by at least once detailing their new vehicles. I'm partially disabled and not all that young now otherwise I would just become their permanent detailer.

I know my son-in-law is extremely busy with the business and doesn't have time to have his vehicle detailed as often as it probably should be and the same goes for my daughter plus they have my 16 month old grandchild. One of the things I would like to do for them is apply a Ceramic Coating to both their vehicles and to mine also but since they are all daily drivers I don't want to spend the money on a supposed multi-year coating that will only last 12ish months. However, I would like to show them the advantage of using ceramic coatings so hopefully whomever details in the future will be expected by them to apply a ceramic coating once a year.

All suggestions will be much appreciated. However, is the Dr. Beasley's Nano-Resin Coating Kit that is currently on sale here a good choice in this scenario.

Yes I am spoiled rotten by them!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unique Situation Considering Ceramic Coatings and Detailing!

Welcome Tom, I would recommend CQuartz Lite. Easy to use, 6mos-year durability. Comes in a 150ml bottle that will easily do your 3 cars (2 coats).

3. Thanks TomAllyn thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Welcome Tom, I would recommend CQuartz Lite. Easy to use, 6mos-year durability. Comes in a 150ml bottle that will easily do your 3 cars (2 coats).
    Agree with Cquartz Lite as a good option. Wipe on wipe off. Little maintenance with CarPro Elixir and it will last quite some time.

The other option would be Gyeon CanCoat. Depending on maintenance it can get a year.

5. Thanks TomAllyn, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer, TomAllyn, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will propose a different solution - Sonus ION Paint Sealant. The maker claims up to one year of protection, and it goes on more like a sealant/wax, instead of the a more finicky coating.

I had a sample bottle that I used on a neighbors cars, and it went on and off smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I will propose a different solution - Sonus ION Paint Sealant. The maker claims up to one year of protection, and it goes on more like a sealant/wax, instead of the a more finicky coating.

I had a sample bottle that I used on a neighbors cars, and it went on and off smoothly.
    Not knocking it, cause I haven't used it. Manufacturers key words "up to blank years". Hell if I drove it once a month and kept it in a garage..it could last five years.

Mike Phillips

I've done my best to edit your original post and include the parts I want to address.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAllyn View Post

My daughter and son-in-law just purchased a 2020 Porsche Macan and a 2020 Corvette Stingray.
    Congratulations to them - I've detailed three of the brand new C8 Corvettes to date and also made a video about my experience on my Facebook page. My STRONG recommendation is anyone detailing and by this I mean doing paint correction by machine, one of these cars to be sure they are CHARGING top dollar as there is no large, easy to buff flat panels. This car has more PLANES than any car I've ever detailed and it makes it a real pain in the butt to buff one out. Simply annoying. And without a gear-drive orbital polisher - it's going to take longer.

I'm partially disabled and not all that young
    Technically I'm partially disabled but I've never let it stop me from anything except running. As such, I have empathy for anyone in a similar condition.

I know my son-in-law is extremely busy same goes for my daughter

And this leads me to my question - the same question I ask all my customers and the same question I TEACH everyone that takes one of my car detailing classes to ask their future customers.

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO WASH YOUR CAR?

If they are not detail oriented and you say they are extremely busy - then doing all the work it will take to install a ceramic coating for someone that is simply going to run their car through an automatic car wash will be a waste of your time.

So ask yourself,

How are they going to wash their cars?

If the answer is they are going to car time out of their busy lives to wash their coated cars carefully then go for it.

If the answer is - they don't have an answer because they are NOT into detailing their cars, then to me - these are not good candidates for investing a lot of your time and labor to install a coating.

Just my point of view.

My next question is - What kind of polisher do you own?

You have two ways to do this type of work, the quickie way - wash, clay coat - don't do any paint correction.

The hard way - wash, clay do all the needed paint correction and then coat.

Both will take hours and the second option will take LOTS of hours.

So before you start spending money on a coating for their cars - figure out how they are going to wash their cars.

9. Thanks TomAllyn thanked for this post
    Likes TomAllyn liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. Yep I think I will leave it up to them to decide what they are going to do. I will just do my best on my Honda. My disability is permanent nerve damage in my hand and arm. I'm not typing more because the more I use it the more pain I experience. So I have to do the best I can with my priceless gift. I don't have any power detailing equipment any more.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used Dr. Beasley's Nano Resin and while I don't regret the purchase, the product will not likely last a year on it's own based on what I am seeing on my wife Acura RDX - and I put 2 layers on. Meaning, you would need a booster or topper to be applied every now and again to get into years 1-2 with this product. If this fits your needs, by all means go for it.

My recommendation, taking everything you stated into account, if you want a coating that lasts a year, is either CQuartz UK or a combo approach with Optimum Opti-Gloss & Opti-seal. CQuartz will be cheaper. The Optimum combination will absolutely be awesome and you will have more than enough to cover multiple vehicles over time.

12. Thanks TomAllyn thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    I've used Dr. Beasley's Nano Resin and while I don't regret the purchase, the product will not likely last a year on it's own based on what I am seeing on my wife Acura RDX - and I put 2 layers on. Meaning, you would need a booster or topper to be applied every now and again to get into years 1-2 with this product. If this fits your needs, by all means go for it.

My recommendation, taking everything you stated into account, if you want a coating that lasts a year, is either CQuartz UK or a combo approach with Optimum Opti-Gloss & Opti-seal. CQuartz will be cheaper. The Optimum combination will absolutely be awesome and you will have more than enough to cover multiple vehicles over time.
    Thank you very much. Is the Opti-Gloss & Opti-seal a ceramic coating or is it just as good or better? I'm asking because this may be silly but I like to stick with the same brands of products and I am quite impressed with Optimum's Waterless wash.

I was also pleased to read Mike Phillips review of the Griots Garage G9. I had an older model of the Griots years ago and I was very pleased with it for personal use. So I think I will try out this latest model. With the nerve damage in my hand and arm it may make correction and more a bit easier for me and worth taking the time and effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. Is the Opti-Gloss & Opti-seal a ceramic coating or is it just as good or better? I'm asking because this may be silly but I like to stick with the same brands of products and I am quite impressed with Optimum's Waterless wash.

I was also pleased to read Mike Phillips review of the Griots Garage G9. I had an older model of the Griots years ago and I was very pleased with it for personal use. So I think I will try out this latest model. With the nerve damage in my hand and arm it may make correction and more a bit easier for me and worth taking the time and effort.
    Gloss Coat is a coating. Unlike a quartz coating it won’t harden. It’s not the most durable but it’s one of the easiest to use. There are better and more durable coatings available.

Opti-seal is a polymer sealant. Again super easy to use.

15. Thanks TomAllyn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast