autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ceramic on glass and chrome

*SIGH* - so I took my car to get a ceramic coating to a local guy. Brand new car, so he gave me a couple hundred off since he knew it wouldn't need as much correction work before putting on the ceramic. This guy has almost perfect reviews, he works on a lot of classic cars - I had no reason to feel concerned. When I picked up it was his day off so he wasn't there. When I took a look at the car, I noticed some rainbow looking tarnish on some of the chrome... I had a microfiber in my glovebox so I gave it a try and some of it came off... but as I inspected I could see spots here and there on other parts of chrome as well. When I got home, my autogeeks box had arrived with gyeon glass cleaner. I decided I'd give it a try. As I sprayed the back windshield I noticed there were these weird spots and smudges - that weren't visible until I sprayed it with this glass cleaner. SO I am guessing he smudged it up on the windshield too? I don't know what else it could be as this car is brand new. The glass cleaner wasn't taking it off - but it was turning my rag black in places. So - how do I get this safely off of my chrome and window now? Is it even possible or did he screw this up for real? I'm so mad right now and hesitant to take it back to him to "fix" it at this point. What should I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ceramic on glass and chrome

If its real chrome, use a chrome polish, like Mothers. Use a fine glass polish like Griot to clean the glass.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They are just high spots from the coating. Nothing seriously messed up at all..... it happens.

Either take it back to him and have him remove the spots or get a mild polish and microfiber rag and polish it off.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If its real chrome, use a chrome polish, like Mothers. Use a fine glass polish like Griot to clean the glass.
    How can I tell if it's "real" chrome?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by designermama View Post
    How can I tell if it's "real" chrome?
    Is the chrome over plastic or metal?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is the chrome over plastic or metal?
    I have no idea? I guess I assume it is metal but don't know how I could tell.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98CayenneTA View Post
    They are just high spots from the coating. Nothing seriously messed up at all..... it happens.

Either take it back to him and have him remove the spots or get a mild polish and microfiber rag and polish it off.
    I am leaning towards this - as I don't have any polish or any special glass polish. I'm just irritated I guess for having paid so much money for a sloppy job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by designermama View Post
    I have no idea? I guess I assume it is metal but don't know how I could tell.
    Use a magnet.

Post Thanks / Like

you could try a cleaner wax, something with a very light abrasive. not as harsh as a polish or compound if you are worried...
    personaly i like keep a bottle of mequiars ultimate polish around just for these reasons...it is a very simple on/off process with no damage to any surface i have used it on.

Post Thanks / Like

If you go after polishing off these high spots the dealer left behind, just be aware of two things.

1) Those spots will not be protected any longer unless you cover them with something else. The polish will take the coating, high spots and all, right off.

2) Depending on the coating used, you may see a difference in the appearance between the areas still covered with the coating and those where you polished off the high spot. I'm not sure how it might look on chrome trim or glass, but I know it is noticeable on painted surfaces.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast