autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Restore non-glass windows in 1979 MG MGB convertible hood (top)

Hey Mike,

Any suggestions on how to restore this type of material? I am assuming it is some sort of plastic. It is yellow (oxidized?) and a bit scratched.

Many thanks in advance!

CMHMHH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Restore non-glass windows in 1979 MG MGB convertible hood (top)

That's a tough one to tackle.

First step is to deep clean. Something like :

Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger

or

Griot's Garage Plastic Cleaner, auto plastic cleaner, clean plastic windows, polish headlights

is good.

Next, a polishing is needed. You could use :

Marine 31 Clear Vinyl Restorer & Protectant

or

Meguiars Plastx Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish - clean & polish all clear plastic panels and convertible top windows.

or

Griot's Garage Plastic Polish, polish headlights, polishing plastic windows

To be honest though, getting minor scratches out is pretty doable but the yellowing is going to be hard to fix.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CMHMHH View Post
    Hey Mike,

Any suggestions on how to restore this type of material? I am assuming it is some sort of plastic. It is yellow (oxidized?) and a bit scratched.

Many thanks in advance!

CMHMHH

Easy-peasy if you have an orbital polisher.

Something like the Porter Cable works best. 8mm short stroke on high speed.

Also get a foam "polishing" pad. Not cutting, not finishing, right in the sweet spot - foam POLISHING.

Get some Meguair's ScratchX and go to town on it. DO NOT PUSH TOO HARD or you will stretch the plastic. Just take your time and apply about 5 puonds of pressure. My guess is you will also need to do the inside to get it right.

I've done this a bunch of times in the last year or two, somewhere have the pictures. I'll see if I can remember the cars and find them. Basically it's going to look like this,

Pictures: How to wetsand a gel-coat boat - Boat Detailing Class - May, 2014

Eric & Gary
    The Eisenglas, (flexible plastic windows), was very cloudy and scuffed when this boat arrived so I put the owner Eric and his buddy to work machine polishing the plastic to restore clarity.

You talking to me pal?

You also need KNOWN clean and uncontaminated towels. One TINY little sharp thing in the towel and you'll put scratches back in.

Mike Phillips

I used Meguiar's PlastX on the window in the pictures below it it took the plastic window from HORRIBLE to Good.

But the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish AFTER PlastX made it perfect. --> Like Glass.

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

First a couple of things....

1: Plexiglas is NOT like most modern plastics. It's very SOFT. A lot of guys call everything Plexiglas because they simply don't know any better but I'm telling you straight up, the plastic T-top windows on your 2000 Corvette are NOT Plexiglas, they are LEXAN and if you Google my name and the word LEXAN you should pull up plenty of articles on this topic and how impossible it is to polish scratches out of Lexan. Plexiglas is also softer than the headlights on your car. So please don't be one of those people that calls everything plastic Plexiglas it's no longer the case.

2: What I'm showing is how I FINISHED out the Plexiglas back window on a 1965 Corvette. The Pinnacle Advanced Finishing polish is a FINE CUT polish. It's not a compound. It's not a medium cut polish. It's a fine cut polish and it is not aggressive enough to remove the swirls and scratches you'll see below on the right hand side or passenger side of the window. I did the initial correction work using other products and other pads than the Pinnacle polish and the CarPro Gloss Pad.

The problem I ran into was every polish I tried to cut with and finish out with, or any other polish I tried to follow a more aggressive product left micro-marring in the Plexiglas. I actually was going to give up on trying to remove 100% of the micro-marring because the product I thought would work simply were not working. This caught me by surprise by the way. It also stressed me out because while the back window looked HORRIBLE when the top was brought to Autogeek by the owner, it wasn't going to be okay to tell the owner,

Hey, I removed all the deep swirls and scratches and left in their place uniform micro-marring

Before leaving for the night, (the next day was Friday, the day before my big 2-day boat class and I had to get the top out of the garage before the end of day on Friday), my wife Stacy, who was my Camera Girl, held up a bottle of Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and said,

What about this?

I honestly thought,

Well, none of the other products have worked, I don't see how this is going to work?

But because I believe that you don't know what you can do until you try and because I also know a few years ago they updated all the formulas, or in other words, updated all the ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY in the Pinnacle line of compounds and polishes, I figure.... what the heck.... let's give it a try.

And it worked.

Not only did it work, it worked GREAT.

So after proving to myself it would remove all the micro-marring and leave a clear glass like results, I re-polished the inside of the window and the corrected the passenger side and the finished out the outside with the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

I applied the Pinnacle Black Label Leather/Vinyl Coating and then stuck a fork in this project and called DONE.

Texted the owner a few pictures the next day, he came and picked up. End of story.

Pictures

Here's how the entire window looked when the owner dropped off the top.

I corrected the driver's side and then polished, changing products and changing pads and nothing I did left a clear finish. Everything was leaving micro-marring. I also tried long-stroke polishes to no avail.

SCANGRIP Sunmatch light on the window

FLEX Swirl Finder Light on the window

After using the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish and the CarPro Gloss Pad on the Griot's Garage 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher

Before and after
    (You can see the 24' Edgewater Center Console boat in the background, this project was leftover from my big 3-day detailing class)

Here's what I used to remove the micro-marring and finish the plastic out to look as clear as glass.

FWIW

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for such a well thought out, detailed response! I'll post before/after pics if I take the job.

CMHMHH

6. Thanks Jackschumann thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good list of stuff to use. Many thanks!

CMHMHH