autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Using wool pad for first time

Hello, I have pretty good experience correcting swirls and scratches on newer cars or ones with minor issues. I recently bought a used Black Lexus with pretty bad paint. Heavy swirls, some bad scratching throughout as well as strange water-spot like places. I figure it is time to learn the microfiber or wool pad process. I am nervous about taking too much clear coat off, I don't have a gauge for measuring how much is left so I can't be sure what is there. Am I just overthinking the wool pad process? I know I would follow up with pads and lighter compounds/polish after; it is just the first time so I am a bit hesitant. What is a good compound to use with a wool pad for heavy swirls and scratches for a first timer?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using wool pad for first time

What vehicle are you doing?
    Year, make, model, color?

Can you post a picture of the damage you're trying to correct....

This is a VERY broad statement but....

On a brand new vehicle the clear is roughly 50 microns thick (.002")

With a decent amount of paint damage, to get to around 90% correction, you will remove around 5-7 microns of clear.

Again, that was a very vague statement but at least it's in the ballpark
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

For wool, I have only used the Rupes yellow wool pads and 'yellow' polish with a Rupes 15 MKII, and it worked GREAT! I did not have to use a finishing polish on the red Infinity Q60 I removed the swirls on.

You will need to prime the microfiber or wool pads before using a 'fresh' pad, and clean them after each section, but both give great correction. The downside to the MF pads is they get hot, and I have found it best to rotate pads after each section. The DA wool pads run much cooler, thus allowing for working longer time and a larger work area.

I first used MF pads on a pewter Civic, with two dots of Megs M105 and one dot of D301, and it corrected the paint without needing a finishing polish as well. I had tried several foam pad and polish combinations before the MF pads and none removed the swirls.

You best bet is to do a few test spots to see how different pad/polish combinations work on this car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I will try to post a picture later, but it is a 2014 Black Lexus CT 200 H. I have tried with the tradtional foam pad route, but it didn't have much effect. Which is why I am considering using a wool/microfiber pad with heavier compounds to get the paint in better condition. Then follow up of course with foam pads and polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that! I don't have a rotary polisher, I only have a DA polisher. Can I use wool/microfiber with a DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akf75 View Post
    Thanks for that! I don't have a rotary polisher, I only have a DA polisher. Can I use wool/microfiber with a DA?
    Absolutley, I would recommend Lake Country microfiber pads and Sonax Cutmax for compounding and Menzerna 3500 with a Buff & Shine white pads for finishing.

Might also want to look at Carpro Essence for finishing also.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, great I will take a look at Sonax, I was thinking about using Blackfire SRC followed up with the polish with foam pads. But I am open to other products!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I will try the Sonax/Menzerna mix with foam pads first to see if that works. If not, I will go to the wool pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Akf75 View Post

Hello, I have pretty good experience correcting swirls and scratches on newer cars or ones with minor issues. I recently bought a used Black Lexus with pretty bad paint. Heavy swirls, some bad scratching throughout as well as strange water-spot like places.

I figure it is time to learn the microfiber or wool pad process.

I am nervous about taking too much clear coat off, I don't have a gauge for measuring how much is left so I can't be sure what is there.

Am I just overthinking the wool pad process?

I know I would follow up with pads and lighter compounds/polish after; it is just the first time so I am a bit hesitant. What is a good compound to use with a wool pad for heavy swirls and scratches for a first timer?

I'd get the SONAX Perfect Finish. You can increase the cut by using it with a wool pad or decrease the cut by using it with a foam pad.

I'd also get an orbital polisher to ensure no holograms.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd get the SONAX Perfect Finish. You can increase the cut by using it with a wool pad or decrease the cut by using it with a foam pad.

I'd also get an orbital polisher to ensure no holograms.

Thanks Mike, will do. Can I try it with the DA polisher? Or will it not do the work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast