autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie and need help.

So I have a toy hauler that had severe oxidation. I decided to take on the project myself and bought a Dewalt 7 inch rotary polisher. I went down to the local RV store and got some Meguires marine/rv compound. I finished up my project and it came out really good except for the fact that I left swirls and holograms. I used a wool pad. So now I need some help correcting this. Like what compound should I use and what pad should I use. Also if anyone can point me to some good techniques so this doesn't happen again. I really would like to learn how to do it properly. I have some other polishing projects and paint correction I would like to do and I actually enjoy doing it. Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie and need help.

Welcome to AGO, Robert.

Following up the rotary/compound with a DA machine and polish should take care of your problem.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobp823 View Post
    So I have a toy hauler that had severe oxidation. I decided to take on the project myself and bought a Dewalt 7 inch rotary polisher. I went down to the local RV store and got some Meguires marine/rv compound. I finished up my project and it came out really good except for the fact that I left swirls and holograms. I used a wool pad. So now I need some help correcting this. Like what compound should I use and what pad should I use. Also if anyone can point me to some good techniques so this doesn't happen again. I really would like to learn how to do it properly. I have some other polishing projects and paint correction I would like to do and I actually enjoy doing it. Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks Robert.
    Welcome Robert. You will need to finish down with a foam finishing pad and a finishing polish. What color is your ride?

Like Paul suggested, an orbital polisher for finishing will give you a hologram free finish.

Mike P has a video on polishing with a rotary. Youtube also has a bunch of vids.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. So did I actually do anything wrong or is this just par for the course when using a rotary polisher and wool pad to cut oxidation? What do you guys recommend for a good DA? Should I just get any old finishing foam pad and compound or do you guys have recommendations? Again thank you for the help. Sure glad I found this forum!

Mike Phillips

Take a look at the Griot's G9, it's a 9mm free spinning random orbital polisher.

It will remove the holograms. You''ll probably need a foam polishing pad and a quality medium to fine cut polish.

Rotary is always good for the initial paint correction step but any brand of orbital polisher will finish out hologram free.

Key thing is using great abrasive technology. If you don't plan on using a ceramic coating, then get a quart of the BLACKFIRE One Step. It will fix everything in one step.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all this great information. Very appreciated.

Mike Phillips

For what it's worth - I detailed this car when this product first came out. I still use it a lot today, just not if I'm going to install a coating.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

This is a real-time review in that I just received the latest incarnation of this product yesterday. The beta versions I tested worked great but I think the before and after pictures below show this newest version is the new Speed Killer.

I've only used the product for one section and that was to do my Test Spot. I'll update this post later today with my final thoughts after buffing out this entire car. Until then... like the saying goes...

A picture tells a thousand words...

Here's my test car, it's an old swirled-out 2-door Chevy

In case you can't tell - this is the before shot

This is the after shot - the little dots you see are not defects - they are gold metallic flakes in the paint

This was after 8 section passes using the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher with a 6.5" Griot's Orange BOSS Foam Cutting Pad on speed 6

Before
    This is the paint above my Test Spot. Note I've turned the overhead lights off to get rid of the their reflection on the panel. That's why you see a color change in the paint. At this point the light shining down is just the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light.

Moving down the panel towards my tape-line

On the tape line

Just past the tape line...

The middle of my test spot...

BLACKFIRE One Step

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE One Step 32 ounce bottle

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, your explanations are awesome. Pictures will beat text all the time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! Def gonna give it a try. What do you recommend for a medium to fine cut polish? What do you recommend for ceramic coating if I was going to go the other route?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobp823 View Post
    Looks great! Def gonna give it a try. What do you recommend for a medium to fine cut polish? What do you recommend for ceramic coating if I was going to go the other route?
    Blackfire One Step is your polish and protectant in one.

If your going the coating route then use a finishing polish like Car Pro's Essence or 3D Finishing Polish.

As far as a ceramic coating, there are many to choose from. I favor Car Pro's UK3.0. There are many videos on prepping and applying coatings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast