autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions

Hi Mike,
    I recently purchased a '94 Bronco that had been sitting for many years in the Kansas City area. in addition to the rust underneath that is being fixed and future installation of fender flares, we need to correct the neglected paint. Here are some pics of the current condition:

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-message_1600380565938-2-jpg

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_153942_hdr-jpg

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_153623_hdr-jpg

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_134839_hdr-jpg

And, of course, it has some rash (clearcoat failure). Obviously I don't expect that to be corrected without a paint job. But if there's anything that can make it look better then I want to do it.

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_153815_hdr-jpg

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_134851_hdr-jpg

We did make a test run with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish 'cause we had it on our shelf. You can see the before and after on the side pretty distinctly as the side panels are not in nearly as bad of shape. The hood is a bit harder to see. We made 4 passes with the compound and two with the polish just to get decent depth and shine. That makes me think I need to use something more aggressive.

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_134816_hdr-jpg

'94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions-20201014_134748_hdr-jpg

My question is what products to get to do this correctly. We (my son and I) aren't expecting a show car shine, but I think the paint that's not rashed can look pretty good. I read through the following post and am now curious about the Blackfire products.

Looks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

I've always been a Meguiar's Pro fan (tan bottles) and assumed I'd use an "M10-something" but am thinking there are probably better options out there now. I'm not a full-time detailer but my son does it occasionally for some people in the neighborhood.

We have a Porter Cable 7424XP but need to fully restock our arsenal of product. What pads should we get and what product options should we consider. I'm also buying for my other cars that have paint in much better shape (although the black SUV needs a bunch of spiderwebs removed).

Hopefully that's enough info to get started. Let me know if there's anything else you need to guide me down the right path.

Oh, almost forgot, need to restore the head and tail lights as well. Is there a specific product made for headlights that old? Or am I better off just buying new ones?

Thanks in advance!
    Munsey

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: '94 Bronco Paint Restoration Questions

Wow...nothing? Did I post something wrong here?

Post Thanks / Like

No, you did nothing wrong...You did fine.

Just hold a bit---someone will chime in due time.

tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher do you have?
    And pads?

I'll prolly go easy---A good quality One Step, ie; Blackfire One Step, 3D Speed or Pinnacle jeweling wax will work.

Go with softer pads---the next step up from polishing pads.
    Rupes polishing pads are yellow and the finishing pads are white.

As for others not sure off top my head. Orange tends to be the polishing pads for many of the other brands. (you want something softer than polishing).

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Polisher is a Porter Cable 7424XP and the pads are old CCS brand green (polishing/AIO), black (Finishing) and red (can't find. Maybe replaced by orange which is light cutting). It all came in a "package deal" when I bought the PC7424 from AG a many years ago. The red and black are in good shape, but dirty. The green one is well worn and probably needs to be replaced. My plan was to have 2 each of multiple pad types to allow for different needs. I'd also like to get "pad cleaner" as washing them in hot water and soap seems to make them break down quicker.

Based on the recommendation of going with softer pads, I'm guessing you're also suggesting to NOT use a compound more agressive than Meg Ultimate Compound I tested on the hood and side. My concern is that I won't be able to get much shine without doing so. While there is clear coat failure on the hood and roof, the rest of the clear appears to be in good shape and I'm betting that the PO never did anything other than a couple of hand wax jobs in the 26 years he owned it. If he even did that. Is there another product that is one step up from there or maybe use a different pad? I did use the worn out green pad on the test spots and it's beat up enough that it was probably the density of a finesse pad instead of it's designated polishing/AIO pad. I hit the hood with 4 times with Ult. Comp. with marginal results. But, y'all know more than I do, which is why I'm asking for advice. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of work if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

You're off to good start re polisher and pads.

Clear coat failure can not be saved. And the current clear coat you have now probably not far from failing in due time. It'll spread and spread...

Because of that...you want to go very easy as much as possible! A one step polish will be a good place to start.
    And...get a wax or a sealant and lightly buzz over areas of no clear coat and wipe off gently. May get some time out of that process. But the bottom line is, it'll need a new paint job.

And great time to try things w/o feeling like you damaged the paint!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom, I can work with that. Looking through the AG site it appears that the Lake Country pads are a good match for the PC7424. I've used them before and they seem to do well. I figure I'll stick with the 5.5" pads since I'm used to that size, unless you think otherwise. Follow-up question: Do you use a pad cleaner or just a mild detergent and water?

I'll get the Blackfire One Step and use a white pad on the sides and maybe a green pad on the hood. Regarding the wax or sealant, I have a bottle of Meg's Ultimate Wax that seems to fit your recommendation for the failed areas. Will that product work and do I want to go over the whole vehicle with it once I'm done with the BF One Step?

Oh, and what are your thoughts on using an iron remover. I've done the baggie test and it failed quite badly. I plan to clay it before buffing it and was thinking an iron removal might make sense since there's so much rust under it and on the wheel wells.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I apologize if I came off like a tool with my earlier comments. Just anxious to get started.

Munsey

Post Thanks / Like

Iron remover be fine. (Only on the paint w/clear. Areas of clear coat failure---do not iron and clay those areas.)

The iron remover will react to the rusted edge of fenders. It be fine but it won't stop the rusting in those areas. Rust removers are very good at reacting to small
    iron particles embedded in clear coat.

Megs Ultimate wax be fine.

1. Iron remover on truck's paint. Not on areas w/o clear coat.
    2. Wash truck-remove dirt and remover.
    3. After rinse---use new and clean soapy water and use as clay lube. Then clay/with soapy water. This shouldn't take too long--maybe 20-30 min.
    4. Dry the paint.
    5. Polish areas with clear coat. (you can try a small test area on areas w/o clear coat - remove polish and see what happens) (Pads and towels will turn red on areas w/o clear coat!)
    6. Can stop here at this point.

7. OK...areas w/o paint. Take a towel, a dab of wax, rub in megs wax on very small area w/o clear coat and and remove. If it did not stain or discolor the base coat, you're probably be ok. Not sure thou so proceed those areas with caution!

8. Blackfire AIO has protection as well as abrasives - You can stop after using Blackfire.
    9. You can go ahead and apply megs wax on top - wont hurt at all. It'll add longevity to the Blackfire One step. (I always add sealant or wax on top of AIO's)

Done...

Having pad cleaners helps. I use 2 types. The spray on and a powder form. I spray pads and work them in pad by hand. Then toss pads in bucket of water with powder pad cleaner mixed in the water.
    Probably over kill...but helps when I wash them in machine!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by deuce01 View Post

Wow...nothing? Did I post something wrong here?
    Nope. Forums are not instantaneous.

I've been on the forum off-and-on all day but also out in the garage - STILL - cleaning up and organizing after the last big 3-day class.

Training Cars - For the September 2020 Detailing Class

We're shooting new video content and TV next week, so kind of multi-tasking.

Mike Phillips

Looks like Tom has covered everything really well.

The Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is more than enough to restore what can be restored. You just need to make more section passes with it instead of 4.

Also - you could use a more aggressive pad. If you feel you really need to do some cutting, get the new RUPES 6" blue foam cutting pads. They will fit the 5" backing plate on your Porter Cable.

Be sure to run this tool on the 6 speed setting - you need all the pad rotation you can get out of this tool to do heavy paint correction.

It's Saturday as I type. This is the first weekend I've had off since the 3-day class and I have a honey-do list to do. I'll keep an eye on this thread and the forum.

Will be better able to type once I'm'' back in the office and behind a full size keyboard and my arm holder uppers. I'm on a laptop right now.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, TMQ liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast