autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Corvette C8

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Corvette C8

Hi Mike.

I have a preorder in for a new Corvette C8. I expect it to be built in the spring of 2021. In one of your videos you mentioned that the C8 has a lot of contours. Currently, I’m using an original Porter Cable 7424 with a 6” backing plate. Would you recommend changing the backing plate to a Lake Country 3” backing plate for use on the C8. If yes what pads would you recommend and how many of each. I have a C6 Corvette and have been very pleased with Wolfgang products (paint sealant, finishing glaze, and swirl remover). I feel very comfortable using my old PC 7424 and Wolfgang products.

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Corvette C8

Welcome to AGO!

I’m not Mike but would highly recommend getting a 3” backing plate for the PC, you can switch back and forth between 3” and 6” as needed but I’m sure the 3” would be helpful and less stall-prone on some of those contours.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go with a smaller backing plate and pad or you'll have a lot of that 6" pad spinning and slinging expensive product thru the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Smaller backing plate, I’m not familiar with the porter cable but get a 3in if you can. There are a lot of contours on that c8. Use the large backing plate for the big panels and then switch to the small one for the other parts.

If your dealer doesn’t have a great guy to prep the car, tell them not to wash it at all. It ships with a white cover on it and that cover is supposed to protect it but if it’s black, it Mars the crap out of the paint. On the deck lid part of the cover are three large foam blocks that keep the cover from hitting the deck lid and rear window. Those blocks leave 6-8 inch patches of marring in the paint. Those are the worst parts of the ones I have worked on so far.

Also, all but one of them were buffed at the factory. This was evident by all of the compound in the gaps between the quarters, decklid and bumper. I’ve only had a handful of them come into the dealer but all one NEEDED a bit of correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JT for the heads up. I appreciate it. So far the consensus is to get a smaller backing plate. I still haven't made up my mind as to the types of pads. For instance Lake Country makes 3" pads in their CCS line and Hydro line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donchm View Post
    Thanks JT for the heads up. I appreciate it. So far the consensus is to get a smaller backing plate. I still haven't made up my mind as to the types of pads. For instance Lake Country makes 3" pads in their CCS line and Hydro line.
    No problem, one of the few advantages of being at a dealer is that I know a lot of small things that most don’t.

I can’t help you there except to say that lake country makes great pads. I use their hybrid line. I have some CCS pads to try but haven’t had the opportunity yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I’d recommend getting a 3” machine. Specifically the griots G8. This way you don’t have to go swapping plates out while using. Your gonna love the updates (trigger, ergonomics, handling) over the PC and will make this and other future uses alot easier.

Griot's G8 Mini Random Orbital Polisher, 3 Inch Polisher, 3 inch Dual Action Polisher, 3" buffer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New Corvette C8

I will also add that using a 3” plate on my Porter Cable creates terrible vibration. It’s usable, but not enjoyable.
    The Griot’s 3” machine, on the other hand...well, I’ve been known to polish almost an entire car with it. It’s quite a smooth operator and goes over angles and contours nice and easy.

10. Likes Azure, SANTA3013 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hi Mike.

I have a preorder in for a new Corvette C8. I expect it to be built in the spring of 2021. In one of your videos you mentioned that the C8 has a lot of contours.

I cannot remember which LIVE Detailing Class where I did in fact share the new C8 Corvettes and actually, all the most recent C7 Corvettes), have a lot of

PLANES

Of course they have contours or curved body panels, but there's simply no LARGE FLAT panels on the modern C7 or C8 Corvette. The body panels are all a series of PLANES formed together to make one sexy looking American-made muscle car.

From TheFreeDictionary.com/planes

Plane

noun

2. A flat or level surface.

Of course, many of the planes on a modern Corvette have gentle sweeping curves so what I mean is the panels on a new Corvette are made up of various smaller sections or planes that are separated by either an edge or a raised body line that runs the length of that section of plane.

What does this means to me and you?

It's really difficult to machine correct or machine polish smaller, thinner PLANES using a conventional CROSSHATCH pattern of moving the polisher over the paint. So instead - you only move the polisher in the direction of the length of the panel or the PLANE.

Make sense?

It's not that it makes buffing out a Corvette a lot more difficult - but it does require a different approach to do it fast and do it correctly.

Currently, I’m using an original Porter Cable 7424 with a 6” backing plate. Would you recommend changing the backing plate to a Lake Country 3” backing plate for use on the C8.
    No. I would not recommend getting a 3" backing plate for your early generation Porter Cable 7424 or 7336 models.

I would highly recommend getting a 5" backing plate and you'll see a HUGE increase in pad rotation when using this tool over the larger and in most cases also THICKER 6.5" buffing pads.

For 90% of the body panels on the Corvette you can tackle with 5.5" pads that fit on 5" backing plates.

If yes what pads would you recommend and how many of each. I have a C6 Corvette and have been very pleased with Wolfgang products (paint sealant, finishing glaze, and swirl remover). I feel very comfortable using my old PC 7424 and Wolfgang products.

If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks

Get this backing plate,

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

And for pads, get these,

The back of the RUPES CP pads fits perfectly to a 5" backing plate.

We all hate to ASSUME and although you're buying a brand new car - you won't know the true condition of the paint until you get it home. But ASSUMING the paint is pristine - as it should be - then you don't need any foam cutting pads - thus the reason I only took pictures of the yellow, (polishing), and white, (finishing).

The design, what I've coined the RUPES CP pads or Contour Profile pads - is a really nice design feature and the foam itself is also top shelf quality.

As for product, if you have the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover you can do damn near anything.

If you're NOT going to put a ceramic coating on this car then I would keep it simple and get a bottle of the Pinnacle Jeweling Wax. It's a super high quality one-step cleaner/wax with fine abrasive technology. It will perfect the paint and keep it that way.

Removing Swirls in 1 Step - Pinnacle Jeweling Wax - 1957 Chevy Pickup Streetrod

It's kind of spendy but damn it's good.

And if the paint is in great condition (as it should be), it's a one-and-done approach that is perfect for a garage queen.

12. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

IF you do want to coat the Vette, see what I wrote in posts #5 and #11 here,

White Corvette...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast