autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Ceramic for Wheels

Need a coating for my wheels.
    I'm looking for durability above all else. It's for the inside barrel portion of my wheels. They are aluminum. Something that is going to make it easier to keep them clean. The shine is not as important as durability, since taking off each wheel to coat them is not going to happen very often. Although people will notice if the inside is clean, an ultra shine is probably not going to pop much in that location. Preferably something that can be layered without waiting more than an hour or two between coats. Last of all, something I can buy a small quantity of since the coating will hopefully outlast the shelf life of the material. I did a search and don't see this question answered. This is a weekend car kept inside and not driven in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Ceramic for Wheels

I've not coated any aluminum wheels, but have used both CQuartz UK and the regular CQuartz coatings on my painted wheels.

In both cases, I coated the entire wheel and then drove them daily for their entire designated season, i.e. spring/summer/fall or winter. They held up for around two full seasons of daily driving.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing to do would be to do a cardboard round to lay over the backside of the spokes and then use Wheel Clearcoat to paint the barrel.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about coatings is that they don't last long on bare metal such as the aluminum wheels. The wheels will still oxidize just at a slower rate. You can still use any of them but just letting you know since wheel coatings perform best on clear coated wheels. One product that does work well on aluminum and bare metal is wolfgangs metal sealant. It won't have the chemical resistance like a coating but it sure lasts quite a bit of time.

6. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys, TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I should have mentioned that the aluminum wheels must have some type of clear coat since it’s a brand new Corvette C8. I can’t believe that it’s just bare metal. Should’ve mentioned that up front.

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I put IGL EcoCoat Wheel on my wheels when I had them refinished on my daily driver 957 Cayenne GTS, has handled road trips, mountain pass aggressive and routine driving since May without fail. Quick easy rinse for the heavy pig which throws brake dust like an 20 year old throws soot in their first modified diesel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
    Well I should have mentioned that the aluminum wheels must have some type of clear coat since it’s a brand new Corvette C8. I can’t believe that it’s just bare metal. Should’ve mentioned that up front.
    The C8 Corvette wheels probably are aluminum or other alloy, but I think they are all painted for this generation, maybe a black, gray or silver color? I thought chrome/polished wheels ended with the C7.

Just so we're all giving you the right advice, can you provide a picture of one of the wheels?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It didn’t occur to me that the finish would be important. I went back to the factory specs and they are indeed painted with a clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've not coated any aluminum wheels, but have used both CQuartz UK and the regular CQuartz coatings on my painted wheels.

In both cases, I coated the entire wheel and then drove them daily for their entire designated season, i.e. spring/summer/fall or winter. They held up for around two full seasons of daily driving.
    As updated by AL D, I suspect you are on the best path with the coating over the clear coat on the wheels. I too use CarPro, but use the dedicated DLUX for trim and wheels. I have it running over 2-years on my F150 and been really easy to clean and keep it clean. Now need time to do a wheels off process again and lay down more and keep it shiny.

Agree with The Guz on the sealant or for winter time use a good old fashion wax? I heard of using the Collinite 476S just for this purpose of protection during the winter time. But IMHO, coatings are the way to go if you have time.

C8, a very nice change of pace for the future of Chevrolet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
    It didn’t occur to me that the finish would be important. I went back to the factory specs and they are indeed painted with a clear coat.
    In that case any wheel coating will suit your needs. A paint coating will also work as the wheels are clear coated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast