autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP PLEASE! Film all over after polishing

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Which machine broke?
    G15

Mike Phillips

First - Thank you for bringing this to the forum. This is where I MUCH prefer to invest my typing time for the Autogeek company.

Second - Because this is your first post - welcome to AutogeekOnline.net!

Quote Originally Posted by detailjja View Post

Hello, I have a customer car that is 13 years old and the paint is not in good shape with clear coat and paint issues on parts of the car like bubbling and crows feet.

TBH I probably should have passed on the job but he wanted an AIO on the panels that were not peeling yet.
    That sentence you wrote that I've made bold red is key - it implies parts of teh paint are peeling as in clearcoat failure.

My guess the areas on a 13 year old car that has been neglected are the,

Hood
    Roof
    Trunk lid

Here's one of your pictures,

To me it looks like there's something on the paint that you're not getting buffed off.

All you need to do is TROUBLESHOOT the paint problem. I should have written an article on how to troubleshoot paint problems 20 years ago. I'll try to get to it ASAP. First let me got to Skynet and see if I can find the definition and directions for how to troubleshoot that I've already written in the past so I don't have to re-type content I've already created.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

All you need to do is TROUBLESHOOT the paint problem. I should have written an article on how to troubleshoot paint problems 20 years ago. I'll try to get to it ASAP.

First let me got to Skynet and see if I can find the definition and directions for how to troubleshoot that I've already written in the past so I don't have to re-type content I've already created.

Took testing a few key words but here's what I typed into Skynet

troubleshooting troubleshoot paint problems mike phillips autogeekonline.net

For everyone that reads this into the future - if you use the right key words and add my first and last name you can usually find an article or two, or an in-depth reply for the topic you're dealing with.

Here's post #7 and this is what you want to do.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1477036

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Paint Defect Troubleshooting

I place a strip of painter's tape across the middle of the defect or defects and then just buff on one side of the tape. Wipe off the residue and inspect to see if the side you buffed is getting better or no change.

Paint Improves

If it's getting better then remove the tape and buff the entire area. You may have to use a more aggressive tool, pad or product.

No Change

If no change then this tells me whatever the defect or defects are they are either,

1: Throughout the matrix of paint. Matrix means the entire film build.

2: Under the clearcoat

And neither of the two things above can be fixed.

But yeah, from the pictures it looks like there's a film on the paint but I doubt it's the wax. Try placing a strip of painter's tape over a section and then only buff on one side of the tape line. Do 8 solid section passes and then immediately wipe-off.

AND - maybe try a quality compound instead of a cleaner/wax.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Took testing a few key words but here's what I typed into Skynet

troubleshooting troubleshoot paint problems mike phillips autogeekonline.net

For everyone that reads this into the future - if you use the right key words and add my first and last name you can usually find an article or two, or an in-depth reply for the topic you're dealing with.

Here's post #7 and this is what you want to do.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1477036

But yeah, from the pictures it looks like there's a film on the paint but I doubt it's the wax. Try placing a strip of painter's tape over a section and then only buff on one side of the tape line. Do 8 solid section passes and then immediately wipe-off.

AND - maybe try a quality compound instead of a cleaner/wax.

Mike, once again thank you so much for your help. The amount of frustration had me researching all night and everything I came up with was “sticky” paint on Subarus plus the condition of the paint.

My new test as we speak is a LC black pad with 1-2 sprays of detailer and it’s removing the residue.

This may make me turn down a Subaru in future lol.

Ty!!

Mike Phillips

My new test as we speak is a LC black pad with 1-2 sprays of detailer and it’s removing the residue.

Interesting fix. Also just about 100% opposite of what I would do and what I recommended. BUT - if it works - that's all that matters.

This may make me turn down a Subaru in future lol.

Ty!!

Maybe look for a one-owner, well-kept, perfectly preserved and maintained Subura BRAT.

The best Subuaru ever!

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting fix. Also just about 100% opposite of what I would do and what I recommended. BUT - if it works - that's all that matters.

Maybe look for a one-owner, well-kept, perfectly preserved and maintained Subura BRAT.

The best Subuaru ever!

It’s crazy how each car differs from one to another.

Thanks again for all you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Did a black Subi last week and came out perfect. M205 LC white and orange pads with long throw and pc da. Finished with Fk.

9. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12