autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Water spots on Boats???

Good morning Mike. Recently I have added a couple of boats to my (Things I polish for existing customers) bag of trix!!! I need a crash course in quickly removing water spots on boats. The one I just did, had horrible water spots, I was not 100% successful using my Flex/purple LC wool pad and Megs 67 Marine one step. Also there was micro marring after I cut with wool, that I was having zero success removing. Mike please help guide me. I never thought boats would be a thing here in southern Wyoming, but apparently all of the F450's i do need lots of things to tow! Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spots on Boats???

Bump. Not sure if you saw this yet Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Get a copy of Mike’s detailing book for boats. GelCoat is a totally different beast. You might have better success with wool on rotary using Marine31 one step. If that doesn’t work, which I had to do, was use 2000 grit, followed by 3000 grit wet sand, then wool, then blue pads (took almost 2 days on 24ft Cobalt)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

Bump. Not sure if you saw this yet Mike

I saw it last night while scanning the forum from the couch in our living room but at some point each day - I have to push away from the keyboard.

It's 10:10am as I type this Friday morning and I just arrived to work as the area around our house flooding, (notice the tense for the word flood), so my brother-in-law, (with a truck), gave me a ride to work.

Note to self - purchase another truck.

Can you take a really good picture of the boat and then the area with water spots and then of the spots?

Yancy and I are shooting videos today and I still have to clean-up the garage, catch-up pad and towel laundry from the class last weekend and I'm also going to shoot the "after" video for the 1968 Cadillac my class did the Number #7 Rub Down Technique to in the class before it goes away.

Looks like a million GOLD bucks now!

Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Post Thanks / Like

I have moved on from the last boat, so I have no pictures of the water spots. I will get your book shortly

Mike Phillips

I have moved on from the last boat, so I have no pictures of the water spots.

Copy that. Next time.

Here's the deal, defects on anything are either topical or sub-surface and in both instances, they usually require abrading and leveling. The process I show in my boat class and in my boat book have been extremely photo-documented to work. I also taught the process at Mobile Tech Expo with a LIVE demo on the side of a boat.

Boat Detailing Correction and Ceramic Coating Class at MTE 2020

The FIRST class on Thursday morning is my boat detailing class where I'm going to show LIVE on the side of a REAL boat - how to undo years of oxidation and then install a gel-coat ceramic coating.

Here's the side of a deserted Bayliner boat that will be cut-off and brought to this class.

Just picked up the side of a Bayliner Hull for my Gel-coat Correction and Ceramic Coating Class in Christmas, Florida.

This is the FIRST class on Thursday morning (starts at 8:00am) and the FIRST time a FULL DEMO Gel-Coat Correction and Ceramic Coating class has ever been taught a Mobile Tech Expo.

I just removed the dried-out ancient vinyl graphics. I left a small portion as I'll show how to do this in the class.

Here's process and after results...

The CBEAST!

I used this to machine sand gel-coat. No pad stalling. Fast. No cords.

SONAX Glass Cleaner for a sanding lube. It was close by. Later I switched to water with a little soap.

Mirka Abralon #1000 Grit Sanding Disc plus a Meguiar's 6" foam interface pad. You can see it on the backing plate

Machine sanding

Here's results....

LOOK in the upper left hand corner! That's a Griot's Swirl Finder Light

I'm holding it in my hand and shining onto the BEFORE section.

Now that's a SHOW CAR FINISH on gel-coat!

And the other side - the before condition - ZERO reflection. ZERO SHINE.

What I used...

I will get your book shortly

Alas.... the boat book has been discontinued...

Mike Phillips? How To Detail Boats With Marine 31

It was THE most complicated book I've ever written and I wrote the bulk of it in 10 days from just the grey matter in my knoggin.

Here's the index and I'm pretty sure an entire page is missing...

Right here - Missing picture, which is another page of the index

Many of the topics covered also apply to car detailing so it's a valuable resource even if you don't yet own a boat.

If you're familiar with my writing style in the forum world you'll find the same style of writing in all my how-to books. That is I explain in simple terms how to perform a process plus why you're performing it and it's a combination of including both types of information that helps you to do the best work possible.

I saw someone on this forum share the location of a store in Canada that had a few copies but I don't remember the thread?

Mike Phillips

Also...

Mobile Tech Expo announced the schedule for 2021 - I have 8 classes and one of them is boat detailing

Mobile Tech Expo – Education

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Also...

Mobile Tech Expo announced the schedule for 2020 - I have 8 classes and one of them is boat detailing

Mobile Tech Expo – Education
    I am sure you meant to type the year as "2021"...no one wants to relive this year!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

Thanks for the heads up Mike!

I am sure you meant to type the year as "2021"...no one wants to relive this year!

Copy that Captain.

My mind is busy - lots to do today.

10. Likes mc2hill liked this post