autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Truck hood is faded

My truck hood was a bit faded. So I applied meguairs compound followed by the polish. I was doing it by hand with a applicator pad.. But now i got all looking like this now and it not sure how to fix this ugly mess on my hood ? any suggestions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truck hood is faded-20939c3c-22ad-43e3-ad21-e4dd62efab85-jpeg   Truck hood is faded-70c8486c-56b2-4f05-b690-aa6a07e90f99-jpeg   Truck hood is faded-05f71e85-72c7-4319-a108-6447dcf5f815-jpeg   Truck hood is faded-d0a170d0-fb04-4039-a0fa-a17b528e25e1-jpeg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck hood is faded

You need a dual action polisher. If you don't want to spring for a new one..try Craig's list.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the hood on my ‘93 Toyota pickup before and after I polished the hood. This truck had been sitting out in the weather for many years. After I cleaned it with APC and pressure washer (I would not do that to anyone else’s vehicle) I polished it with Meguiar’s 105 with an orange pad using a dual action polisher. Then I used Meguiar’s 205 to finish and then applied a coat of wax. BTW, the patina you see was free. I’ve been told that some guys actually pay someone to paint patina on their vehicle.

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

4. Likes PaulMys, SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike and Yancy covered hand polishing in this video a couple weeks ago.

Mike Phillips

Here's one of your pictures,

Looks pretty bad. The video Michael aka The Guz - shared above shares why for most people - it's going to be impossible to compound and polish an entire vehicle by hand.

A simple 8mm or 9mm free spinning, random orbital polisher and some foam pads should fix this....

In the beginning of this video from last week I share the Griot's G9 and Meguiar's polisher.

23: Must have tools and polishers explained

Yancy and I will go over some of the coolest tools in the industry that you must have in your detailing arsenal. I'll share my own tips and techniques as well as personal insights as we go through all the tools.

Mike Phillips

And for inspiration, check out this thread, it documents that you can in fact bring the dead back to life.

Looks like its past the point of no return or just severely oxidized? Can it be fixed?

8. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Similar story to Mike's, dealer bought a black Trailblazer to stock in the Buy Here Pay Here program, every inch of paint completely baked like the Ford above. Dealer was expecting to take it to Maaco for a respray, did a test spot with a Rupes Yellow on a LHR21 Mk3 to reveal actual clearcoat still under it. 7 billed hours later, they had a nice shining vehicle that was no longer in danger of getting a sandpaper feeling respray.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    ^ Similar story to Mike's, dealer bought a black Trailblazer to stock in the Buy Here Pay Here program, every inch of paint completely baked like the Ford above. Dealer was expecting to take it to Maaco for a respray, did a test spot with a Rupes Yellow on a LHR21 Mk3 to reveal actual clearcoat still under it. 7 billed hours later, they had a nice shining vehicle that was no longer in danger of getting a sandpaper feeling respray.
    What compound did you use and where's the pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What compound did you use and where's the pictures?
    This was before the new D-A system, so that would be the old Rupes Keramik Fine "yellow top" compound and Rupes yellow pad. Searching through my phone for the photos but it appears I may have deleted them at some point.

12. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    This was before the new D-A system, so that would be the old Rupes Keramik Fine "yellow top" compound and Rupes yellow pad. Searching through my phone for the photos but it appears I may have deleted them at some point.
    Since 1923, please explain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast