autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: P21s/Maguiar’s Ultimate Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    First - since this is your first post to the forum,

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

The Meguiar's Ultimate line is very good.

My guess is without ever seeing the car, after 9+ years - well my guess is the car will fail the Baggie Test. I RARELY come across a car that passes the Baggie Test. And the two most common places cars get overspray paint are body shops, (where they spray paint), and a Car Guy's Garage - because car guys tend to use Rattle Cans and never cover their car. Just saying...

The Baggie Test as seen on Competition Ready TV with AJ and Mike Phillips

Nothing against P21S but last I checked it's a traditional Carnauba Wax. Meguiar's Ultimate Wax on the other hand is going to be a "blended wax". This means the chemist will include a blend of ingredients to bring out all the best appearances features of urethane paint plus add protection.

That said, if you did the proper prep work to a white car and then used both products - you probably couldn't tell the difference as that is the downside of white paint. You do not get the deep dark reflections like you get with dark colors. Normally what I aim for is to maximize gloss and the way you maximize gloss is by having a smooth surface. A smooth surface starts with smooth paint and if paint fails the baggie test then it will not be as glossy as possible.

Thanks Mike for the detailed response. Let me ask you this. Assuming the car does need to be clayed, would it be beneficial to follow it up with the P21 paint cleaner before waxing? Thought is the cleaner would polish out any “maring” from the clay.

Post Thanks / Like

I used P21S years ago and while it looked good the durability was poor. Chances are that if you are in a hot climate it will break down even in a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest trying Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax and skip the P21. The P21 as a carnauba wax will turn acidic overtime. Ultimate Paste Wax is probably the only non-SiO2 based protection I still use.

Meguiar's ULW and UPW seem to have different results, I remember UPW having a very wet but very bright shine.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Javaman12 View Post

Thanks Mike for the detailed response.

Let me ask you this. Assuming the car does need to be clayed, would it be beneficial to follow it up with the P21 paint cleaner before waxing?

Thought is the cleaner would polish out any “marring” from the clay.

Kind of... the P21S Paint Cleaner is non-abraive - thus the name "paint cleaner" not "paint polish", thus it will not remove marring. It may mask or fill marring just like the wax will but not actually remove it.

And thus is the quandary for so many people,

To clay or not to clay?

My own personal rule is if I clay a car I have ALREADY factored in doing at least ONE machine polishing step to remove any marring or potential marring.

Here's a great example. A BRAND NEW SPANKING car with no real visible swirls or scratches except in a few places and the Piano Plastic but it needed to be clayed.

Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating - 2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Failed the Baggie Test

Clay is not shown - forgot to grab it for the picture but I did in fact clay using the Pinnacle Ultra Fine Grade Detailing Clay

Tools - Pads - Products

I know it's easy to think to "install" a ceramic paint coating on your car all you have to do is order the coating, as in order the tiny glass bottle of product. But that's a false reality. In the real-world, you're going to need a polisher, pads, products and lots of clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels to do the job right.

Here's a few pictures showing what I used to install a ceramic coating to a brand new Porsche.

And as expected and was one of the goals - extreme GLOSS

So if a person does NOT own a polisher - do you clay?

Because your Corvette is white, you will never see any marring. Plus - if you use an ultra fine grade or fine grade and LOTS of lube - you're safe enough to go over it.

Remember - I have to type and teach for the most EXTREME OCD type people.

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“Remember - I have to type and teach for the most EXTREME OCD type people.”

Well put, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done both on the older white Escape we have as far as claying and following with a polish and with out. It all matters the time I have. But these are my own vehicles.

If I was working on someone else's it would get polished after, unless the owner is fine with the way it looks. But they would have to understand that it is what it is if they did not want to put out for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    I would suggest trying Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax and skip the P21. The P21 as a carnauba wax will turn acidic overtime. Ultimate Paste Wax is probably the only non-SiO2 based protection I still use.

Meguiar's ULW and UPW seem to have different results, I remember UPW having a very wet but very bright shine.
    I have both and remember there being a difference, but did not remember what. It has been a while since I used either one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12