autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to properly care for spray painted rims so they last long...

I have recently spray painted my rims with Rustoleum 2X gloss black. I let the paint dry and after about 5 days I polished them (lightly by hand) and applied Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax to temporary protect them. I'm just wondering what products and cleaning techniques would be recommended for me to keep them shining and looking good for as long as possible???

I have no problems re-painting once every few years, but I want them to have some sort of protection from the elements, as I do live in an area where it snows every winter and I will be dealing with ice/salt as well.

Is there a ceramic coating I can use? Is there a good wax/sealant I should keep on it and/or apply every month, every quarter, etc. I like detailing my car so I don't mind re-applying product often.

Please share any advice. I couldn't find much info directly related to a spray painted wheel, and not sure if they need to be treated differently.

Mike Phillips

Re: How to properly care for spray painted rims so they last long...

The answer to your question is yes - there are option.

Me? I'd go with a ceramic paint coating. Pick the brand you know and trust. Follow directions.

p.s.

The post date for your thread is 09-13-2020, 05:34 PM - apologies for the late reply but I took the weekend off.

3. Thanks kingkakarot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also suggest not using harsh wheel cleaners on them. If you clean the car often, then a good car wash shampoo will be all you need to get off any brake dust and road grim. Some use a wash bucket and quality mitts, brushes, and/or woolies for the wash. I prefer car wash shampoo pre-mixed in a large spray bottle with a foaming spray head for cleaning (or make it a wash & wax shampoo and do 2 things at once!).

5. Thanks kingkakarot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    I would also suggest not using harsh wheel cleaners on them. If you clean the car often, then a good car wash shampoo will be all you need to get off any brake dust and road grim. Some use a wash bucket and quality mitts, brushes, and/or woolies for the wash. I prefer car wash shampoo pre-mixed in a large spray bottle with a foaming spray head for cleaning (or make it a wash & wax shampoo and do 2 things at once!).
    This may be more important than protection. The paint you applied probably won't be a durable than a powder coated or painted/baked factory finish. Using a harsh wheel cleaner could damage the paint and/or the wheel surface under it.

Other than that, a good wheel or paint coating should serve you well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks kingkakarot, mc2hill thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The answer to your question is yes - there are option.

Me? I'd go with a ceramic paint coating. Pick the brand you know and trust. Follow directions.

p.s.

The post date for your thread is 09-13-2020, 05:34 PM - apologies for the late reply but I took the weekend off.

Thank you for the response! I'll start looking for a ceramic coating now.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I wash my car so often, I think a good car wash shampoo and wash mitt will work just fine to keep them clean without the need for any harsh chemicals. I will probably pre-mix some in a bottle like you said, that sounds like a great idea!! Thanks again.

10. Thanks mc2hill thanked for this post