autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Beast: Thoughts on old vs. new

I was thinking about adding the Beast to my polisher collection. And I was wondering what are the main difference's in the old model vs. the new model.

I know there is more plastic to the new one, but does that really matter? Spec wise it seems they are almost 1 for 1. Does the new one have a better feel then the old one?

Anyone that has used both, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Beast: Thoughts on old vs. new

i do have both. the 3401 is built like a tank. I had it for years and many more to come. The newer model is a bit quieter, smoother, and with much improve ergonomic. the metal shroud on the 3401 gets really hot on a long session and I feel the latest model solved the issue with improve airflow with a plastic shroud. I dont see any dramatic differences in performance beyond that. I have in the past dropped the 3401 on the floor by accident and it didnt even make a dent. lol

3. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually just kind of went through the same dilemma....

My backing plate exploded on my PCXP and I absolutely had to bang out my truck. Desperate for anything I saw a used flex online in my area. Did a bunch of checking online and there's actually a post on here somewhere from Mike saying the new unit is smoother etc but for plowing quickly through a vehicle his first choice is still the original.

I bought the used one for a couple hundred off retail from the guy and did my truck yesterday. It truely is a BEAST and my arms and fingers can hardly move this morning. It's a handful for me as a weekend warrior.

Also, the original is discontinued. Get one now or never....

I'll see if I can find the post....

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post
    I was thinking about adding the Beast to my polisher collection. And I was wondering what are the main difference's in the old model vs. the new model.

I know there is more plastic to the new one, but does that really matter? Spec wise it seems they are almost 1 for 1. Does the new one have a better feel then the old one?

Thanks
    Here is the link....

NEWS FLASH!!!!! The new FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher is NOW IN STOCK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Me Time View Post

Thanks
    The newer XCE is great. I've been using mine for about one month over many details and the only drawback and it's minimal, is it's a touch slower in rotational speed and orbits vs the 3401 but it's negligible and only amplified in perception since it's also noticeably quieter.

I run both models and have no problem recommending adding the newest version to your cabinet.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

7. Thanks Diner, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3401, had it for 7+ years and love it. Yes it gets hot but has never failed me and the results I've gotten are amazing.

9. Likes TTQ B4U, Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySheds View Post
    Here is the link....

NEWS FLASH!!!!! The new FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher is NOW IN STOCK!

Thanks, I probably read it and forgot. I'll take a look at it.

That's what I am is a weekend warrior, but I like my toys. But I have been taking care of 2 households for a few years helping out my elderly parents and haven't had much time to play with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    i do have both. the 3401 is built like a tank. I had it for years and many more to come. The newer model is a bit quieter, smoother, and with much improve ergonomic. the metal shroud on the 3401 gets really hot on a long session and I feel the latest model solved the issue with improve airflow with a plastic shroud. I dont see any dramatic differences in performance beyond that. I have in the past dropped the 3401 on the floor by accident and it didnt even make a dent. lol
    That's what I kind of figured with the old having some metal to its build. So it seems pretty much I can't go wrong with either. I have seen the marine version for a few dollars cheaper, it's the old model rebranded. If I pull the trigger on one, I'm leaning towards the new model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    The newer XCE is great. I've been using mine for about one month over many details and the only drawback and it's minimal, is it's a touch slower in rotational speed and orbits vs the 3401 but it's negligible and only amplified in perception since it's also noticeably quieter.

I run both models and have no problem recommending adding the newest version to your cabinet.
    Quieter is a good thing. I'm in a loud factory 50 hours a week. And that's with earplugs.

And being we're getting older maybe the newer model won't put a whooping on me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonesGTO View Post
    I have a 3401, had it for 7+ years and love it. Yes it gets hot but has never failed me and the results I've gotten are amazing.
    That's one thing I really like about them, it seems like they are the Energizer Bunny of polishers.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

What swayed my decision in the end was Mike saying get the old one now or never as they are discontinued. It also helped that I found a used one and got it at a decent price.

I figure if I ever want the updated version I can buy it and sell the old one for what I paid!

It's an amazing machine. I find it walked a little on me with 6.5" pads. I tried 5.5" pads this morning and it was much easier to handle. Ordered a 5" backing plate and will use that combo for now.

Mike Phillips

What swayed my decision in the end was Mike saying get the old one now or never as they are discontinued.

Just for the record - I've NEVER said or typed the FLEX 3401 IS discontinued. (words are important)

I have said I have been told from FLEX that their long term goal is to discontinue the aluminum head, original FLEX 3401.

That's a huge difference between saying the tool has been disconnected.

It also helped that I found a used one and got it at a decent price.
    That's rare. Lucky you.

I figure if I ever want the updated version I can buy it and sell the old one for what I paid!
    Agree.

It's an amazing machine. I find it walked a little on me with 6.5" pads. I tried 5.5" pads this morning and it was much easier to handle. Ordered a 5" backing plate and will use that combo for now.
    Spend some time with it - then pick up some of the new RUPES 7" pads and put the factory backing plate back on and buff out a car or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast